Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 25th September 2010

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
E5 Pricing

Hi,

Something not quite right here.

USA $1699.99 = £1073.00 (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...&page=overview)
UK £1500.00

Now how does that work?

Paul
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts
Re: E5 Pricing

Paul,

I am NOT saying this is the total answer to your question but.....

The price quoted on the website excludes state purchase taxes payable on top of the published price.
If you bought the item from the US, you would be exempt State taxes (because it is an export) but you would have to pay UK tax on import.
The UK price being banded about (not yet finalised!) includes VAT.

PS: It is common in the US to price in this way as each state has it's own set of purchase charges.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/

Last edited by PeterD; 26th September 2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Clarification + added PS
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Yup, agree with the taxes (about 8%) but there is a price difference, too. If you go onto Amazon.com or another US retailer they usually ask where you want it shipped and then give you a final price.

If you are going to see a friend in the states you could ask them to order it for you, agree an exchange rate for it and take delivery. I heard of somebody paying about £170 for an EC-14 three years ago so it can be worth asking a favour or two if you are going there. Maybe if you are there on business you could get it delivered to your office?

If you have your camera with you and leave the box back in the US I guess nobody will bat an eyelid if/when they open your bags. You would have to ensure you are happy with the morals of depriving our country of tax revenue and Olympus their profit margin.

I understand that Customs and Excise have the duty rates for electrical items on their website if you need to look. Remember to add VAT, too.

Nick
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

For a long time for camera stuff $1=£1 in 'rip-off' U.K.!

Jim
Old 26th September 2010

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,

I still think there is a big difference. I have also had stuff sent to me from the USA and not charged any Vat when importing to UK (should I have said that!).

Isn't Vat in UK going up too in 2011?

We do get a rough deal of it. Now that i am in the Channel islands we don't get charged UK VAT, although we do get GST (general service tax) at 3%. So it may be cheaper here, but for some reason I doubt it as retailers tend to go with Uk pricing most of the time.

I think it is just a case of watching and waiting. I'm hoping Amazon Uk get them in soon as I get vat back with them, it may just tempt me.

Paul