Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 9th October 2019

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
Re: Olympus Air A01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I find that no one profile suits all. A lot depends on the subject and I usually find I have to do some tweaking to make the image match my perception of the original scene. One advantage of digital is that I find I can still 'feel' the original scene, when I make the adjustments later the same day.
Many of my pictures seem too hazy, when it felt like a crisp clear day. I will also take a picture with my Cell phone next time to compare color and feel.

I was assuming "image quality" only applies to the jpeg image and not the raw image, so I had that set it to "basic", expecting to get best quality from the raw file.
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 480 Times in 228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
I was assuming "image quality" only applies to the jpeg image and not the raw image, so I had that set it to "basic", expecting to get best quality from the raw file.

Yup the ORF file will have everything the sensor saw on it, the other options affect the camera produced JPG.

Olympus Viewer and it's replacement Olympus Workspace are worth a look as they include the built in Olympus profiles. So you can process the ORF using the Olympus default then play from there. The downloads are free, OW needs a valid serial number and you'd need to check they're supporting your Air - though I can't think why they wouldn't as it's the same sensor as the other contemporary cameras.

Be warned though - they can be a lot slower than some other processing programs.

Just out of curiosity - you said the Air app doesn't have a self timer - have you checked if the Olympus Image Share app for the later cameras works?
Old 9th October 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
It does focus on where I touch and I'm pretty sure I touched on Lucy's (the dog) head, yet judging by the focus on the sand I agree it's definitely not there. It was still quite dark and this picture is 1/4s exposure f/1.8 with ISO-800. Perhaps the camera struggles to do it's auto-focus thing in poor light?
Yes, you have pinpointed the problem - that's very dark for the AF to work reliably.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

Here's my take on your dog image:

I also used Rawtherapee. I adjusted the exposure until the highlights were almost clipping and the shadows until they were almost blocked. I also sharpened using the default setting. The colour balance looks about right as the greys of the cliff look neutral, so I didn't alter it.

I did this on my uncalibrated laptop, so it might look different to others. Having done it, it doesn't look much better than yours!

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Angelica (10th October 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 9th October 2019

Liked 2,842 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
A bit like this you mean?
An old Soviet Zenit Fotosnaiper gunstock, with a home made Arca style clamp; seen here fitted with an E-M1 Mk2. 300mm F4 and a Red Dot Sight.
I never did have the 300mm Tair lens and modified Zenit B, but bought the gunstock as an ebay item on its own; The modified body had an extra shutter release on the base, set off by a little finger sticking upwards, and coupled internally to the trigger.

The kit is intended for Bird in Flight attempts, but since I've completed it, I've never been at a suitable venue, whilst having it with me.

Unfortunately, the E-M1 Mk2 has a deeper grip, so won't fit in the space available. Mk1 fits fine with the grip.

The trigger now, is internally coupled to a pair of contacts from an old relay, but I need to do more work on that, as there isn't enough feedback on the trigger from half to full press.
If you want one of these you are lucky one is available

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Zeni...dy_247827.html
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Angelica (10th October 2019), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 10th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
If you want one of these you are lucky one is available

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Zeni...dy_247827.html
I see fotodiox even do an adapter to Nikon F mount and they also have an F mount to MFT adapter... so I just need to find out if London Camera Exchange will export it!
Old 10th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Here's my take on your dog image:

I also used Rawtherapee. I adjusted the exposure until the highlights were almost clipping and the shadows until they were almost blocked. I also sharpened using the default setting. The colour balance looks about right as the greys of the cliff look neutral, so I didn't alter it.

I did this on my uncalibrated laptop, so it might look different to others. Having done it, it doesn't look much better than yours!

Jim

Thanks it's really appreciated! There is definitely something weird going on with the colors from rawtherapee, as the "basic jpeg" from the camera looks much better than anything I can coax out of the ORF! Here is yours against the one from the OlyAir.

see how the colors of the jpeg are so much more vivid!

I haven't had time yet to install and look at the Olympus raw processing software and I don't have Adobe license for lightroom, but there is definitely something I'm missing here.

I really want to be able to make the most of raw images as there is so much more one can do in post processing them. Meanwhile I have found a more recent release of OA-central that includes features like a timer and better control of the camera settings (Google is blocking the official releases as "not available in your country")... these versions may help me take better pictures
AMc (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Smile Re: Olympus Air A01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
... I also used Rawtherapee...

Update: I just installed the latest (2019-09-10) release of Rawtherapee (version 5.7) and the issue has been fixed, so it's not the camera. It might be worth you checking which version you are using and updating if it affects your pictures too!
Here is the render of the same raw file with no processing profiles applied:
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 410 Times in 173 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

I usually use Phase One Capture One Pro for my post processing and take all of my photos in raw format. However, COP wouldn't recognise the Olympus Air A01 raw file and so I reverted to Olympus Workspace. This is the best I could manage, changing the Picture Mode to "Vivid":

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
The Following User Says Thank You to griffljg For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Angelica (10th October 2019), MJ224 (10th October 2019)
Old 10th October 2019

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

It's easy enough to increase the saturation or vividness using Photoshop, Faststone or Rawtherapee, but as I've been looking at imagemagick recently:

https://imagemagick.org

and the scripts from here:

http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/index.php

I thought that I'd do a 'quick and dirty' adjustment to increase the vibrance, using:

vibrance2 -a 1.2 dog.jpg dog2.jpg

which took 0.331 seconds

to produce this result:

If it's too vivid, it could be 'knocked back' a bit to (say) -a 1.15

Jim
Angelica (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
I see fotodiox even do an adapter to Nikon F mount and they also have an F mount to MFT adapter... so I just need to find out if London Camera Exchange will export it!
Angelica, don't forget I only used the gunstock part of the Photosniper with a 300mm F4 Olympus on an E-M1 , along with the red dot sight.

The original Zenith setup, is a non electronic 35mm film body, and as such the 300mm Russian Tair lens will only work in fully manual mode with an Olympus digital body. It's even more unusual than the conventional 300mm Tair in that the manual focus is controlled by the wheel underneath at the front.
That's manual focus, and manual stop down, though the Oly will still meter OK through the lens.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Angelica (4 Weeks Ago)
Angelica (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
Angelica, don't forget I only used the gunstock part of the Photosniper with a 300mm F4 Olympus on an E-M1 , along with the red dot sight.

The original Zenith setup, is a non electronic 35mm film body, and as such the 300mm Russian Tair lens will only work in fully manual mode with an Olympus digital body. It's even more unusual than the conventional 300mm Tair in that the manual focus is controlled by the wheel underneath at the front.
That's manual focus, and manual stop down, though the Oly will still meter OK through the lens.
It would indeed defeat the handy gun form not to have auto-focus... in anycase, after ordering the Panasonic 100-400mm (which still hasn't arrived) I'm going to be flat broke for a while, so... yeah I shall have to leave it for now.
Meanwhile I've been up against poor support of Oly products here in NZ. After all the hassle of actually getting a full version of OA.central past geo-restrictions, now their product registration web page for "other countries" gives a 404 and Olympus Workspace says it doesn't support my camera.

Gone are the days when antiques could still be used... digital software bit-rot eats them from the inside.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 410 Times in 173 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

Quote:
Olympus Workspace says it doesn't support my camera.
Strange that! I processed that raw file from your camera using Olympus Workspace V1.1.0.

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
The Following User Says Thank You to griffljg For This Useful Post:
Angelica (4 Weeks Ago)
Angelica (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 249 Times in 156 Posts

I find that photos which don't look 'sunny' can be improved by increasing the yellow saturation only. This avoids over-saturating other colours.
Angelica (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffljg View Post
Strange that! I processed that raw file from your camera using Olympus Workspace V1.1.0.
Eventually I got Olympus Workspace to work with my files, but not with the camera. It looks like that by default reproduces from the raw file, exactly what the camera had produced. Maybe workspace is a tiny bit sharper as I had not selected "finest" quality for the camera's jpeg, but that way I get consistent results. How does it compare with what I actually see... and the output from rawtherapee... that's what I'm looking at next but I already know I will have to calibrate my display for it to mean anything.

Tags
air a01, camera