Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 5th October 2019

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
want to learn portrait photography

I don't have anyone to practice with but my Olympus air is just perfect for selfies... so let me know... not what I look like, no but how I might improve my portrait photography please...
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 282 Times in 145 Posts
Re: want to learn portrait photography

Suggest that you look at the work of acknowledged masters of portraiture. Maybe Harry Borden, Nadav Kander and have a look at Sean Tucker’s site. His video about photographing strangers with Gabrielle Motola is highly recommended. Steve McCurry is another, do your own research - enjoy!

David
Angelica (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts

Another great exponent of portrait photography to look at is Yousuf Karsh, often known as Karsh of Ottawa. His use of lighting to model the sitter's face is masterly.

Cheers,

JohnGG
The Following User Liked This Post:
Angelica (5th October 2019)
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

Thanks for those tips.I found a website devoted to Karsh's work, predictably with his own name: https://karsh.org/
It's very impressive in his use of lighting.

I also found Sean Tucker's youtube I am watching the portraits of strangers video at the moment.

I am hoping to learn how to do it. I found bright sun and even LED panels just cast horrible shadows, and make me squint too.

In this picture I'm using a desk lamp reflecting off the wall in front-left and a low energy bulb behind a diffuser on my right. It's not really adequate as even at f/1.8 I needed ISO 1600 to keep a reasonable shutter speed, but then a grain filter was necessary in post processing. That in turn sacrifices sharpness.

I think the little Olympus performed quite well and money would be better spent on lighting equipment than full frame camera gear.
Old 5th October 2019

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts

My local camera club, sadly long defunct, had a talk once by a portrait photographer who worked exclusively in B&W and used tungsten lighting, i.e. normal incandescent bulbs in reflectors that were on all the time. These he could move into exactly the position he wanted while observing the effect on the subject. This seemed more intuitive than studio flash, whose effect one can only see after the event. Now that incandescent bulbs are so hard to find I suspect that the same could be achieved today with modern LED lighting.

To my shame I can't recall the fellow's name

Harsh lighting is always a problem in portraiture but can sometimes be alleviated by positioning a reflector to fill in the shadows. Another common technique is to shoot in natural light from a window that does not have direct sunlight on it. Thus one side of the face can be well lit with the other thrown into a softer shadow that is not harsh.

Cheers,

JohnGG
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Angelica (5th October 2019), Jax (5th October 2019)

Tags
portrait, selfie, technique