Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th November 2017

Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,499 Posts
Liked 4,423 Times in 1,995 Posts
Re: Why!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I'm afraid I'm turning every bit as grumpy as you, Hec. Nowadays when I answer the phone and hear a strange voice enquiring how I am today, my stock reply is "I was fine until you called to annoy me."
Indulge him, John .
My response is to play along. You know it's a telemarketer. Pretend you have dementia and tell him that your carer is out and invite him to pop around for a glass of your elderberry wine and a scone, etc. I leave the rest to your own imagination in what I can promise will be a very short call - it's loads of fun.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (25th November 2017)
Old 25th November 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
My stock answer is that they need to confirm their identity which I'm quite willing to do through a credit reference agency if they give me a credit card number in their name.
A friend of ours put up a sign just outside his front door, with a list of charges on it, like:
canvassers - 5 per minute
double glazing salesmen - 7 per minute and so on.
He doesn't get many ring his bell!

I put two signs up, No Canvassers, and No cold callers. STILL some knock on the door. So I answer it, and my first line is, "are you unable to read? Would you like me to read these notices to you?" That throws most of 'em! But then you get the odd one who says, "I'm not selling anything!" To which, "Oh - are you buying then?" I like a bit of fun!
Old 25th November 2017

Liked 2,500 Times in 1,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I'm afraid I'm turning every bit as grumpy as you, Hec. Nowadays when I answer the phone and hear a strange voice enquiring how I am today, my stock reply is "I was fine until you called to annoy me."
I simply say 'Good Morning' or 'Good Evening' until I can establish who they are.

If they ask how I am today I know they are flogging something and usually answer "I am fine at the moment".

Some years ago when I had my first house and probably still looked quite young I heard a pair of double glazing salesmen knocking at my elderly next-door neighbour's front door. It was a Sunday afternoon and he was having a nap and clearly didn't appreciate being woken from his slumbers. All I heard was "so you've woken me up for this crap. I'm not bloody interested so bugger off." And the door slammed shut!

I was out in the garden and hearing this commotion kept my back to them. Then I herd "Hello sonny, are your parents in?" "No they're not, they live three hundred miles away" I replied.

They then started the usual sales patter so I gave them my usual line that the house was rented, and that the landlord was a tight **** who wouldn't spend money on anything. That usually gets rid of salesmen but these two didn't give up so easily and asked for the landlord's name and address. I told them I rented the house from the next-door neighbour, pointing to where they had just come from. With a look of horror one of them said "we've just been there and there's no way we're going back!"

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
iso (28th November 2017), KeithL (26th November 2017), mack100 (29th November 2017), Zuiko (25th November 2017)
Old 26th November 2017

Liked 580 Times in 298 Posts

When answering the phone nowadays, I always think back to Michael Miles and the Yes/No interlude. I'm sure just one or two of you will remember that
KeithL (26th November 2017)
Old 26th November 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I simply say 'Good Morning' or 'Good Evening' until I can establish who they are.
I told them I rented the house from the next-door neighbour, pointing to where they had just come from. With a look of horror one of them said "we've just been there and there's no way we're going back!"
This provoked a memory form when I was first married. Next door was an old couple, and they had let the house deteriorate a lot. One day, I was off work; and a small truck complete with ladders,etc, pulled up outside, and the driver went to next door, banged on the door. There was a heated conversation, which I couldn't hear, so when the van left, I noted its registration and range the police. Note that the van was unmarked, and fairly old. The policewoman rang back about an hour later, to tell me that the reg plate belonged to the city council! They were obviously scammers looking for old people to rip off, and the reg plates were either nicked or made up at random! So it was quite a poignant experience.
Old 26th November 2017

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

A friend of mine would continually interrupt an unwanted caller by asking where he should send the invoice. When the caller eventually asked why he wanted to know, he'd say that while he would be perfectly happy to answer all the questions, he was going to bill them for his time!
iso (28th November 2017)
Old 27th November 2017

Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

I once heard a recording where the recipient was asked who supplied his electricity. He replied he got his supply from his neighbour who was away from home a lot.

My wife got a cold call the other day which began "This is just a short call..." but before he could get any further she replied "You're absolutely correct." and put the phone down!
The Following Users Liked This Post:
iso (28th November 2017), Jim Ford (28th November 2017)
Old 27th November 2017

Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,461 Posts
Liked 1,455 Times in 929 Posts

Ah... whenever one of them says this will only take a minute I time them. At the end of the minute I tell them their "one minute" has run out and maybe we could speak for exactly one minute at some other time.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 28th November 2017

Liked 234 Times in 202 Posts

My elderly sister occasionally gets the 'I am from Microsoft Software' .. we have noticed there is something wrong... She lets them go on for a bit, then interrupts and says...' Well that's odd, I don't have a Computer'... (She doesn't)