Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 13th April 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Hawk Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Ahhh, an RAF Valley Hawk.

Just wish I had been into photography when I was at Valley. Being a Radar/Comms tekky I used to work on the nav aids on the station and the photo opportunities would have been incredible. We would often have to wait for a clear crossing across the runways and runway thresholds, being just metres from the aircraft as they passed. Mind you, did get a bit noisy

Thanks for posting Neil

Steve
I nearly got "done" for taking piccies of my mates loading a Tornado, while we were on detachment, there a few years ago.

My film was confiscated and handed to the photo section for developing (which they made a right mess of) so boss of where we were working from could check if I was "Some kind of subversive"

Wouldn't have been so bad if the pilots and nav's weren't going right up to missiles and other bits of the planes, taking loads of pictures, So depends on who was watching (or who you were!) on whether you could take photos there or not!!

Must add a few years later I had no problems at all taking photos just before the Gulf war, of all sorts of Jets from different nations, a couple of which even made it to Flight magazine
Old 13th April 2013

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

Just out of interest what was the XX number on the side I cant make it out on here. I have been on a couple of tours of RAF Shawbury and have photos of many Hawks that were there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
Old 13th July 2015

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

You want to get yourself into the Mach Loop

208 (R) Squadron 100th Anniversary BAE Hawk T1 through Bwlch 30.06.2015 Paint scheme to commemorate the start of World War 1 (1 of 1)
by Tim Preston, on Flickr}

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
Old 14th July 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Another place many years ago that was brilliant for low flying aircraft was the Tramway Museum at Crich! If you went up the hill on a tram ride, you could see jets coming down the valley from higher up than the aircraft was flying. I don't think they are allowed to do it any more there now.

The A11 going south down towards Lakenheath was hairy too. Warthog pilots used the vehicles on the A11 for targetting practice; they would come from behind at very low level, then climb sharply. The sudden roar would scare you so much, you almost left the road!

Nowadays we just get an occasional C130 or a pair of Eurofighters, and they are almost always quite high. Spoilsports.
Old 14th July 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there everyone!

Many years ago we used to regularly stay at the camp site at the end of the RAF Valley main runway. We stayed their about 9 years ago, when my son was eleven months old and he loved the Hawks flying over our tent at about 100ft. Shortly after two Eurofighters came over in close formation and the noise was incredible - Sam threw himself to the ground with his hands over his head!

All my Hawk photos we taken in my film days on an old Practika BX-10 - I'll have to have a look and see if I still have any.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 14th July 2015

Thanked 1,002 Times in 799 Posts
Liked 3,209 Times in 903 Posts

That is a terrific action shot Tim, as are many more in your gallery. The move to Nikon has obviously worked out brilliantly for you and your photographic requirements. I don't think we will be seeing you back in the Olympus fold any more.

Ron