Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th July 2012

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Olympus, a shot in the foot?

1. First we have an amazing new sensor and processing engine, not before time, but this is fitted into an apparently revolutionary camera, the E-M5, that is seriously compromised in the cause of fashion, style and compactness.

2. Add an extremely fast AF system that cannot cope with fast moving subjects.

3. Despite a whole host of new lenses nothing matches the range of SHG FT lenses.

4. Existing FT lenses when used with the E-M5 don’t come near their capability with the E5 and no news on the horizon on whether this will ever be sorted.

5. An IS system which is the best available in EV terms but can cause IQ issues if not used in ideal circumstances, I’ve found that on the one lens I have that has in-lens IS this is more reliable than the E-M5 IS.

6. An introductory offer of a free battery grip that two months down the line I haven’t yet received despite enlisting the help of Olympus UK – apparently the handling company have run out.

7. A silly little battery that cannot cope with even an hour of intensive wildlife photography.

8. A complete dearth of additional batteries available to buy at an exorbitant price, I need at least four for a day’s shooting.

9. And finally an upgrade that has possible problems and which Olympus say we shouldn’t download (I already have) but haven’t yet withdrawn.

It is no wonder that some have migrated to canikon – if developments in the near future don’t answer some of these problems I might consider this too!

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Morison For This Useful Post:
sapper (23rd July 2012), son of sid (15th July 2012)