Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th June 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Re: The for sale section

Eeeh, I spend a day away from the computer and come back to find I've missed all the fun!!

For my two penny worth:

Charles (Iowa2) - what a fabulous privilege to see the images that you have posted - stunning and loved what you have achieved with the gear. I just wish that we could have enjoyed seeing much more of your imagery. Olympus's loss me thinks.

Re selling: It's always difficult to live in a world where you want to trust but know the dodgy deals that are done to relieve you of your money. Banks, taxes, insurance, people - we all see legit and illicit ways this is done.
So I think we should all be sensible and trust nothing to start off with, but that doesn't mean we show hostility or open distrust to the people with whom we deal. The reasons that people buy and sell gear are many, and it is up to the buyer to do the research, ask the relevant questions and seek the reassurance that satisfies the urge to buy but tempered by the knowledge of caution. Some scams are obvious but some are so detailed and planned that I wouldn't necessarily trust an old hand any more than a newcomer. The old maxim of gain their trust and then fleece them is as old as the some Greek oddessy!

But I feel it a shame if we jump to 'condemn' on a forum that is so good at welcoming and helping other users.
Preach caution by all means, or have admin automatically add a "Caution - please research / check all sales before purchase by taking the following steps . . . . ." to any Sale posting, but lets keep the general approach of welcoming members and encouraging them to show off their skills and usage with their Olympus gear.

Now then, I have a very nice Olympus Trojan (equinus edition) if anyone is interested - very rare and very very costly.

Regards
Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
Greytop (16th June 2011), Ian (17th June 2011), Zuiko (16th June 2011)
Old 16th June 2011
E-P1 fan

is it the Mk 1 or Mk 2 Chris
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Mark 1 (v3) - versions 1 & 2 lacked built in features, which were then inserted for the v3
Regards
Chris
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

After seeing the shots Charles has posted I cannot believe he is selling

They are fantastic
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1,344 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowa2 View Post
I know what you mean about the heavy moderation, and personally, I think they killed the forum that way. It used to be a pretty friendly place, but now, I don't frequent it as much as I used to...

Just to clarify, I am/was not offended by the replies here, I was surprised! I was, and am again now, under the impression that this was a very friendly forum!

One thing for sure is that I have learned a lot in my meager *10* posts!
I've noticed it doesn't seem to be as busy as it used to be. I still visit occasionally but stopped posting when the heavy handed moderation started.

David M's Photoblog
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

Bit cheeky , as I am something of a lurker myself, and I note the generally constructive comments already made, however, here goes - Any used gear purchase from a source you don't really know (and we don't really know anyone on here) is a risk and it's not unreasonable to expect a prospective purchaser to use their common sense and appreciate that sometimes these things are a punt. I understand that Iowa2 has not posted anything much and, on the face of it, looked like a first timer trying to sell stuff straight away, but I'm not sure that is really relevant. We have a forum for selling gear and, unless very low user postings start to become the norm and there are complaints of dodgy gear being sold, I am not sure we ought to look to regulate that too much. One of the reasons I have stuck with this forum (and to an extent with the brand) is because of its relaxed and generally friendly attitude and I think we should keep it that way if we can. Besides, the chap can take a very decent photo!

Well, that's my tuppence worth, time to get back in my box.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanH56 For This Useful Post:
Ian (17th June 2011), Zuiko (17th June 2011)
Old 17th June 2011
E-P1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I've noticed it doesn't seem to be as busy as it used to be. I still visit occasionally but stopped posting when the heavy handed moderation started.
I left the AP forum a couple of years ago when the moderation became almost dictatorial IMHO. Having been a Mod myself (on non-photo forums) I know it can be difficult to get the balance right between moderating (the clue is in the title) a forum nicely and stepping on sensitive people's toes. Good training for the UN
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ian (17th June 2011)
Old 17th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,282 Posts
Liked 1,765 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH56 View Post
Bit cheeky , as I am something of a lurker myself, and I note the generally constructive comments already made, however, here goes - Any used gear purchase from a source you don't really know (and we don't really know anyone on here) is a risk and it's not unreasonable to expect a prospective purchaser to use their common sense and appreciate that sometimes these things are a punt. I understand that Iowa2 has not posted anything much and, on the face of it, looked like a first timer trying to sell stuff straight away, but I'm not sure that is really relevant. We have a forum for selling gear and, unless very low user postings start to become the norm and there are complaints of dodgy gear being sold, I am not sure we ought to look to regulate that too much. One of the reasons I have stuck with this forum (and to an extent with the brand) is because of its relaxed and generally friendly attitude and I think we should keep it that way if we can. Besides, the chap can take a very decent photo!

Nicely said.

Even if you don't agree with this, let's just agree to disagree

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (17th June 2011)
Old 17th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH56 View Post

Dan, you might not post very much but when you do it is worth waiting for. You should get out of your box more often!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau