Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 25th September 2013

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
for the first firmware update ....

I know l haven't even got it yet ..'. but
EvFs are rubbish for astrophotography ... they destroy your dark adaptation
So an option to have the EVF dim and give a red only output would be a nice option
Old 25th September 2013

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Re: for the first firmware update ....

Hello Chris,
That's a great suggestion, whether it is feasible is another matter, I know what you mean as I noticed the same thing with my E-M5. Maybe a digital back for the OM-1 is the answer as it has the best viewfinder of any camera ever!

Regards Jim.
Old 25th September 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

The "review" referred to in this thread http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29199 indicates that the E-M1 EVF already has a feature which automatically reduces the viewfinder brightness in low light.

" A novel feature called Auto Luminance enables the EVF to tailor its viewing brightness according to the lighting condition of the scene. Acting like an environment sensor, the idea is to more closely match the EVF response to actual ambient dynamics. If the lighting is bright and sunny, the E-M1’s EVF will produce a bright sensation without appearing as if there is a ‘stopped-down’ effect, which is what you see in the E-M5.

Similarly under very lowlight conditions, the feature will cause the EVF to lower its luminance rather than behaving as if to overexpose. In the E-M5, the response would have been to increase shadow details to the extent that the overall viewing experience lacks realism. To achieve this, the EVF’s backlit illumination can now be automatically controlled with stepped adjustments to tone up (in bright light) or down (in darker situations)."

A firmware change to change to a red output should be feasible but I'm not sure Olympus would see a big enough market to make it worth doing.

According to the Olympus "Product Sheet" the EVF brightness can also be adjusted by " +/- 7 levels"

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Xenon (26th September 2013)
Old 26th September 2013

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Thanks Pete
The VF 2 on the EPM-2 also can have'it's brightness lowered by 7 levels .... but it is no Were near enough
You maybe right about Olympus not seeing it as a worthwhile upgrade but the Astrophotography photography market is growing