Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th June 2011
lowa2

The for sale section

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a thread to sell a few items of mine, but it won't let me create the thread. I try and post images, and it won't let me!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: The for sale section

You need to spend a little time in the forums - you don't have enough posts.

And, a small piece of advice I would offer anyone new trying to sell stuff here (ESPECIALLY if they're outside the UK (the majority of members here are in the UK I believe)), if you're serious about selling at a fair price, don't just post a few "that's nice" comments. Try to avoid banal statements...because in the end, these are unprotected private sales that are reliant on TRUST. If your buyers don't trust that you're on the level, you simply won't sell.

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry Iowa2 - but I have to agree with Callawolf's comments on this one.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

Here we go again. This came up only very recently via Dec Hog I beleive and at the time I strongly deffended a member trying to sell his unwanted gear (4 years & 1,000 plus posts) but this seems to be taking the proverbial. Maybe it is time there were rules so we all now exactly where we stand on this subject. What do other members feel? Ian W.
Old 16th June 2011
Kiwi Paul

You can post in the for sale forum immediately there is no time or post requirement.
There is a thread discussing whether members should be able to post in the for sale section immediately or not, some of us don't mind but others do but as it stands you are allowed to post immediately.
Unless it's changed over the last couple of days.

Paul
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Surprisingly for me I have never been a Seller on the forum. But as a Buyer I am very particular who I buy off. The beauty of the forum is that you can track a memebers posts over a given period so it gives you an idea as to their "authenticity".( it's not the right word,but the only one I can think of right now ).

Some of the kit being sold on here is not cheap by any standards. Take for example the recent number of E5's for sale on here. It is not too long ago that forum member were crying out to buy the latest E5,and suddenly there are a few recently purchased ones for sale - does make me wonder why.

If Iow2 had visited here before he should be aware of of the varying views of forum members and possibly taken this into account before selling,and I still maintain that to 'bung' your kit up for sale on the forum without so much a picture - well that really beats me,and sory PM'S don't really cut it with me!

I woke up in a bad mood,and it's not getting any better (LOL) having looked in here

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've sent a PM to the board admin with my views and a few (I hope) constructive suggestions.

As an old hand at the online trading game (for a while I was one of the world's most recognised traders in Stephen King (yes, the author) collectibles (a market that has been known to command prices of $10k - $15k for one item), I know the potential highs and lows of our small marketplace.

The thing to always remember is that the Marketplace serves the Board, not the other way around. We are a community with a trading area and that's the way it should always be.

There ARE a few things that can be done to make sure that's the way it remains. I'm sure this debate will continue, but let's not get bogged down in it - there are better conversations to get involved in. People like lowa2 would do well to contribute before offering goods - in the end, how many of us are willing to buy, sight unseen, from a stranger?

(Latest Work)

Old 16th June 2011
Kiwi Paul

The debate has popped up from time to time over the last few years. There has been no reports of anyone been ripped off on this forum yet and I have bought and sold from low count posters over the years and got items I wanted for a good price. If you use some initiative and common sense you can usually cover yourself. Personally I have no issues with low count posts folk posting to sell stuff , there may be a bargain to be had or they may be selling an item that doesn't come up often. It's not rife on here to the point of been ridiculous. Iowa2 has been a member of Fourthirdsphoto forum for many years so is well aware of forum protocol.

Paul
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
If you use some initiative and common sense you can usually cover yourself.
Yup - absolutely

My last comment on this for now - open forum is the correct place for open discussion - PM is the correct place for negotiation / sale. In the end, this is a transaction between buyer and seller - the sums involved and the fine detail are nobody else's business

I'm going to do some work now

(Latest Work)

Old 16th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To a degree you are right Paul - however I don't visit Four3 user web site all that often ( once a year ),and had I anything to sell I would in all liklehood have made myself aware of the general protocol for selling within the site.

There is no intention to suggest that Iowa2 is anything other than an upfront seller - but from previous posts on this subject here on this forum,it shouldn't take a new seller too long to find out the general feeling to 'single' posters.

I have a feeling this one is going to drag on and on - I am going to get myself a keyboard lock!

Old 16th June 2011
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
but from previous posts on this subject here on this forum,it shouldn't take a new seller too long to find out the general feeling to 'single' posters.
I don't think there is a 'general feeling' some folk don't mind others do most folk are silent on the matter so probably don't care either.

Paul
Old 16th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
I don't think there is a 'general feeling' some folk don't mind others do most folk are silent on the matter so probably don't care either.

Paul
Just because people are silent doesn't mean they don't care. Perhaps what they would say has already been said. A better way to judge other peoples thoughts would be to do a poll, rather than jump to conclusions.

I don't like the idea that anyone can register, put something up for sale then disappear. It could turn this place in to a ebay/shop area. I prefer the idea that a length of time and a number of posts need to be made first (perhaps 6 months and 20 posts).
Old 16th June 2011
lowa2

First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for discussing this with me. To be completely honest, I did not expect to get a somewhat hostile response, just because I am new here, and was trying to sell some gear.

I am on various forums in north America, and it almost seems to be common practice for a "newbie" to just show up and sell his gear. I thought it would be accepted just the same here on this forum, but I guess not. I actually joined the forum a few years ago when I was looking for an OM350, and there was one for sale here....

If i have offended anyone that much, I will gladly take the posts down if I am contacted by admin. I guess someone will just miss out on a few good deals.

Perhaps I can make one suggestion for this. On "fourthirdsphoto.com" you are required to pay a premium to the admin, if you wish to sell. You can be a "supporter" which is 25$ per year, a "super supporter" which is 50$ per year, or a "seller" which grants you access to the buy/sell section of the forum. It seems to work great over there, because People show up all the time just to sell. There is also a feedback system called "iTrader" which allows parties to leave feedback (available for everyone to read) about the transaction.

Charles
Old 16th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowa2 View Post
First of all, I want to thank each and every one of you for discussing this with me. To be completely honest, I did not expect to get a somewhat hostile response, just because I am new here, and was trying to sell some gear.

I am on various forums in north America, and it almost seems to be common practice for a "newbie" to just show up and sell his gear. I thought it would be accepted just the same here on this forum, but I guess not. I actually joined the forum a few years ago when I was looking for an OM350, and there was one for sale here....

If i have offended anyone that much, I will gladly take the posts down if I am contacted by admin. I guess someone will just miss out on a few good deals.

Perhaps I can make one suggestion for this. On "fourthirdsphoto.com" you are required to pay a premium to the admin, if you wish to sell. You can be a "supporter" which is 25$ per year, a "super supporter" which is 50$ per year, or a "seller" which grants you access to the buy/sell section of the forum. It seems to work great over there, because People show up all the time just to sell. There is also a feedback system called "iTrader" which allows parties to leave feedback (available for everyone to read) about the transaction.

Charles
Hi Charles - I don't think it's personal or hostile but naturally as you are new here you might be sensitive about some aspects of the responses. Please don't be. I'd certainly like to welcome you to the e-group.

As the e-group forum is a very civilised and, I think I can say - special - place, members naturally want to keep it that way and it's fair to say that there has been an increase in members joining only for the purpose of selling their gear.

My take on that is that some of these people may discover that the site is worth more to them than just the small ads section and eventually they become very valuable members of the forum. OK, so some will just visit to sell and then never be seen again. We can't stop that - it's a free world and for the members that do participate regularly, for some of them there is the value in the occasional bargain.

Others are of course worried that unscrupulous sellers will eventually rip off a member. This hasn't, so far, happened here. Maybe it's inevitable that it will one day. I hope not.

The idea of charging for the privilege of posting to the small ads section is interesting. On the one hand I'd be concerned that members might be lulled into a sense of security that could be profited on by scammers who paid the fee. It might also limit the value of the ads section if nobody advertised anything there any more. But it's worth consideration. I know the owner of fourthirdsphoto and I may get in touch with him for some advice.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th June 2011

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,031 Posts
Liked 1,236 Times in 805 Posts

Welcome back Iowa2:
I see you have been a member since Nov 2009 not long after I joined, please do not take my rant as being aimed at yourself rather it is a response to the discussion re buying and selling which does come up on this site every so often. My general thoughts are to check sales out before buying as you would normally and 'knowing' someone due to them being around the site gives you some confidence.
As I said I have a number of posts (thanks Ian) on here but how well do people really know me when it comes to giving me their hard earned money?
I find this is a nice friendly 'family' site and I think people fear it may change. I would not like to see payments for sales as this would just mean someone unloading would add this to their price in the same way they can bump up posts?

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?