Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 17th September 2009
ndl0071

Wreckage..

A sad sight, the skeleton of the once thrieving West Pier, but now a very photogenic subject, to be found in Brighton, Sussex.

C&C Welcome as always.

Old 17th September 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Wreckage..

I really really really like this - and the mad use of F22 is forgiven completely!

Excellent.
Old 17th September 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

I suspect f22 was needed to get a slow enough shutter speed to blur the water and clouds. It's certainly not recommended because of difraction degrading the image, but in practice I find it's not nearly as bad as you might think.

The slow shutter speed was the master stroke ion this image. As well as a slightly surreal look, it has imparted a feeling of peace, calm and tranquility to the tortured ruins of the old pier. A subject of desolation and despair has become a thing of beauty. A photograph has become a work of art.

I adore this image!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th September 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

got that John, but Neil has a fair supply of NDs and I suspect that dof was also a factor given subject and framing even at 14mm.
Old 17th September 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Cracking shot Neil, really good. I am after a ND110 myself if you hear of one going?

I love these long exposure daylight shots; they're different, unique and very interesting - casting new insight on subjects.

Old 17th September 2009

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

Well, I don't profess to understand all the technical chat before about how you achieved this picture but I lived in Brighton for over 45 years and enjoyed many a visit to this pier as a young boy (when it was still standing!) but I never remember it looking this good !!

Fantastic image
Old 17th September 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Well it's a great picture - only peeping at pixels will tell if f22 has compromised the sharpness, and personally I doubt if it will to any noticeable degree.

Compositionally I wonder if shooting straight has removed some evidence of the length - perhaps a very slight angle might have helped - but then it would have been a different photograph.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 17th September 2009
DannyH

Wow, great image. I really like the tone of the water using F22, I learn something new everyday. I'm not familiar with the pier, it looks like much more than just a pier. Did it have a restuarant or other famous buildings on it?
Old 18th September 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Wow, great image. I really like the tone of the water using F22, I learn something new everyday. I'm not familiar with the pier, it looks like much more than just a pier. Did it have a restuarant or other famous buildings on it?
Hi Danny,

For you, and any other overseas members unfamiliar with the pier, here's a link to how it used to look http://photos.igougo.com/images/p731...-West_Pier.jpg

And here's the fire that destroyed it http://www.solarnavigator.net/geogra...rning_down.jpg

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th September 2009

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

Carefully avoiding the word Stunning* - I would describe it as a Truly Excellent Picture!

Pete

*only because it didn't actually cause me unconciousness :-)

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 18th September 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think its all been said, fantastic picture and well excecuted.

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma) |Tamron 135mm f/2.5 Macro 200mm f/3.5 | Optecka 800mm f/8 Prime | Wallimax 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens | Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 O Digital Flash | Manfrotto 055XB Tripod, Opticron Carbon Fibre "Traveller" Tripod, Sidewinder Gimbal Head, Manfratto 676B monopod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Head Lowpro Nature Trekker AWII, Lowpro Vertex 100 AW and Lowpro Toploader Pro 75 AW.
Old 18th September 2009
ndl0071

Thanks all for the positive feedback.

Firstly to highlight that the photo was taken with that E30!

I used my old mate the B&W 110 ND filter (no surprises there then!)

F22 was used for 2 reasons 1/ I wanted a complete front to back ‘in focus’ shot and 2/ using M mode f22 gave me a 40 sec exposure which is the minimum setting I prefer when trying for the effect of smooth water.

I was really looking for a low perspective to show the ironwork in all its glory, this was achieved with the help of my Benbo Trekker tripod sitting very low, almost on the stones.

I spent a couple of hours taking several shots at differing angles so I do have shots showing the length of the pier as well, I may post one or two of these when I’ve had the time to pp them.

Thanks again for taking an interest.
Old 18th September 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I like the composition, the subtle colours (don't put it in mono!), and the long exposure.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site