Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd February 2018

Thanked 1,120 Times in 702 Posts
Liked 1,463 Times in 731 Posts
Angry My big-time GRRRR...

OK! To be honest, it's just one of many, with this one being very high in the top 5.

Should this goes the way (as per usual) as it usually does?

Then, IMO: The law is a complete and utter ass. I was going to add hole, as it makes sense that whatever garbage goes in something else has to come out.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...id=mailsignout

Hit and run - with emphasis on the run-ning - should be considered as ?

You decide?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 23rd February 2018

Re: My big-time GRRRR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with this one Wally. - In this instance, if proven and found guilty it should be 30 yrs minimum ... etc,. John
:+ mentioned bonus penalties That's the sort of response that should happen.

Obviously, in every case there are circustances that need to be taken into account. However, in this case, and many others where hit and run events happen, serious penalties don't occur. All too often they - perpetrators - walk away with basically a small fine / slap on the wrist.

As far as too many to a cell, with B&B + extra's for free, is concerned, try telling that to those paying standing room only slum rental for the sole luxury of having a roof over their head.

The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (23rd February 2018), shotokan101 (28th February 2018)
Old 23rd February 2018

@ John- My views, are possibly skewed by my late wife's uncle Albert, who passed away in the early 90's, and the approach to his specific area of problem solving? If found guilty, he stood them on a pedestal, tied a rope around their necks and pulled the lever. He had perfect records of acheivement, 0 complaints over his long reign.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (28th February 2018)
Old 23rd February 2018

Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with this one Wally. Yes, the law is indeed an ass and punishment rarely fits the crime. How we describe an offence or what label the law uses to describe an offence is not the problem. To me the problem is the lack of room in the overcrowded jails that dictates as and when long custodial sentences are issued.

In this instance, causing deaths by dangerous driving, drunk driving, leaving the scene of an accident, if proven and found guilty it should be 30 yrs minimum. My personal choice would be to take him into a yard behind the court and put a bullet in the back of the head. Simple low cost solution saving the taxpayers a small fortune.

John
You really are a disgusting person. I'm off this forum because I don't want to share space with you.
Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to chorleyjeff For This Useful Post:
shotokan101 (28th February 2018)
jdal (25th February 2018)
Old 23rd February 2018

Liked 3,658 Times in 1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
You really are a disgusting person. I'm off this forum because I don't want to share space with you.
Jeff
Serious???????????

My Flickr
Old 24th February 2018

Quote:
Uncle Albert Peirrpoint by any chance ?
John
The very same. When courting my future wife, I thought the family was joking and laughed it off. On my next visit, I was shown a family photo including 'Uncle Albert'. A split-second later, my intentions were purely honourable.

Apparently, I was 40 years happily married. It had to be true as my late cherry on the cake wife always told me so.

Old 25th February 2018

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

Here we go again, another post similar to one a few weeks ago involving social media and the death of a young girl from Norfolk. This is just as tragic and in my opinion, not a subject open to debate on sites like this. I made my feelings plain on the first post and do so again on this but I suppose the moderators in their infinite wisdom will allow this to proceed. Where do we draw the line on subjects suitable for discussion in the Lounge, this has already led to acrimonious posts and threats to leave, so lets please draw a line under this type of post. Wait a moment, I have an idea. With a very few exceptions, the standard of photography, both the taking and the editing, on this site is pretty low. Why don't you all grab your gear and get out there and start taking some photographs as opposed to just snaps and record shots. It will take your mind off thinking up contentious subjects for debate. I will now sit back and wait for the s**t to hit the fan as I'm sure it will, but surely there must be some members out there who share my views on this, Regards to all, IW.
Old 25th February 2018

Liked 440 Times in 212 Posts

The problem is everyone these days has an opinion and the system is there to air it. We didn't have that years ago, apart from the local pub and your mates at work thats where it ended, now its broadcast to all and sundry and really at a negative stance....I have many opinions on all such things but due tend to keep them close to my chest. The doom and gloom over the 'Brexit' topic is like a worn record.....if we all knew what would happen in the future what a strange world it would be...in fact you could then supply me with next weeks lottery numbers ...so lets agree to disagree and keep the really contentious issues well away from the lounge... so when is spring going to arrive??

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 25th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
With a very few exceptions, the standard of photography, both the taking and the editing, on this site is pretty low..
That's a challenge if I ever saw one...................

Thanks

My Flickr
Naughty Nigel (26th February 2018), shotokan101 (28th February 2018)
Old 25th February 2018

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Jeff
I was thinking the same thing. There are a few. I'd ban politics on these forums, it's best to stick to photography.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 25th February 2018

Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPWheatley View Post
With a very few exceptions, the standard of photography, both the taking and the editing, on this site is pretty low
Hi

Apologies if any of my edits and/or taking of photos have fallen below your standard. I came up with the idea of the editing challenge, which has been popular to date and is a very good place to learn. I am fairly new to photography and certainly from the editing point of view throws in many challenges. I'm trying to learn and with that comes time and patience.
It would be fantastic if you could enter the editing challenge and maybe raise the bar from being 'Pretty low' at present.

In relation to the original topic and posts so far, everyone has their own stance on any given situation whether it be from personal experiences, or drawn simply from the information given such as the news.
A view is a view right or wrong.
Some topics can attract extreme responses given sometimes horrific circumstances of the original event. If a person chooses to air that view then you would expect people to challenge this. Equally threatening to leave a forum maybe a bit extreme (but I respect the viewpoint). The topic isn't the issue here, the focus on what should happen to offender is. This law has been challenged many times in the past without it being ammended to date, tragic events like this may add further pressure for a change to the current legislation.

Thanks
Johnheatingman (25th February 2018), MJ224 (25th February 2018), shotokan101 (28th February 2018)
Old 25th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
Hi

Apologies if any of my edits and/or taking of photos have fallen below your standard. I came up with the idea of the editing challenge, which has been popular to date and is a very good place to learn. I am fairly new to photography and certainly from the editing point of view throws in many challenges. I'm trying to learn and with that comes time and patience.
It would be fantastic if you could enter the editing challenge and maybe raise the bar from being 'pretty low' at present.

Thanks
+1...........

Really feel quite insulted by his comment. Never claiming to be good at either, but having a go at something I enjoy is good for me.

My Flickr
Johnheatingman (25th February 2018), Naughty Nigel (26th February 2018), timboo (25th February 2018)
Old 25th February 2018

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
I was thinking the same thing. There are a few. I'd ban politics on these forums, it's best to stick to photography.
There are photography forums on this site where you can talk about photography. This is the lounge, the only rule being "Just keep it clean and polite!"

I'm quite happy to discuss contentious issues here, and apart from the above rule as far as I'm concerned - nothing is off limits.

A big advantage of the lounge for me is that you get to know the sort of people you're keeping company with!

Jim
Naughty Nigel (26th February 2018), Otto (25th February 2018)
Old 25th February 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

My thoughts on the matter: #shootfilmbenice

on flickr
Johnheatingman (25th February 2018)
Old 25th February 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,163 Times in 2,471 Posts
Liked 4,471 Times in 2,124 Posts

It's always difficult to strike a balance. There are members who would prefer to keep the forum focussed on photography only and feel there is no place for boards such as the Lounge. There are also members who pretty much only frequent the Lounge and seldom participate in any other sections of the forum. Personally I would like to see more photography threads but any forum is only what the members make it. To be honest, if we did not have the Lounge some days would be pretty quiet on here!

So all I can do is appeal for tolerance and advise anyone who doesn't like the Lounge not to view threads in it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (25th February 2018), Johnheatingman (25th February 2018), Naughty Nigel (26th February 2018)