Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 24th February 2009
grumpy69

Portrait

Her is stacey who kindly posed for me on sunday I really enjoyed taking these. comment very welcome.

Old 24th February 2009
JackBenedict

Unhappy Re: Portrait

Good looking model .... but the pose is all wrong. Her head seems to be under pressure from hand. Her decollage is pushed into one small area. In these type of shots it would have paid to take 3 steps back and recompose the model. The small cyst under her right should have been removed using PS.

A brave attempt.
Old 24th February 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,583 Times in 912 Posts
Re: Portrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBenedict View Post
...the pose is all wrong. Her head seems to be under pressure from hand...
The "reclining" portrate is a style we have not seen for a while and could work quite well with this young lady, but the "head under pressure from the hand" does look wrong.

The distractions in the corner must be taken out, for me though the lack of detail in the blacks of the dress is a real problem.

Now that you have got past the hardest bit, of getting her to pose for you, you really can work together to get the image to look really good.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 25th February 2009
JackBenedict

Having given your portrait some more thought,I agree that the background is particularly distracting. Also the tops of her arms looking under pressure.

Stacey has got all the attributes that I would look for in model. I hope that she will pose for you again in the future,and that you will post the results here.

Next time when you look through the viewfinder ... harbour this thought in your mind - this model could be costing me around 200 per hour. It is surprising what that will do to your photography. Honest I know from past experience. You will begin to treat it as a professional shoot and not think of Stacey as someone who dropped in for her picture.

With dark hair,hazel eyes and photogenic features( beats blondes any day ) this lady is just waiting to photographed. Also look at some of the glossies out there and try to recreate those shots you see and personally like.

You will be surprised at your next effort ... trust me.

As I said before ... A brave effort but somehow i get the feeling your next set of shots will be stunners.

Good luck and I hope I haven't appeared to be too harsh,apologies even if appears that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy69 View Post
Her is stacey who kindly posed for me on sunday I really enjoyed taking these. comment very welcome.

Old 25th February 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I certainly agree about the model, she is just dying to be photographed, what a stunning looking lady. With those eyes, and superb facial shape, she would make a super portrait model.

I don't agree with the removal of the cyst though, unless the model has specifically requested this.

I also agree on what looks to be a slightly uncomfortable position for her. Whenever I do portrait shots where the model is cradling their head/face in their hands, I always ask them to practice holding the position... but without actually touching their face with their hands. This then reduces or even removes any changes of skin shape caused by the hands pressing against the face.

Would love to see more of her though... thanks for posting.

Old 25th February 2009
grumpy69

Hi all, thanks for your comments, I totally agree with you all she does have a lovely face but I may have one big problem with a jealous husband lol