Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 21st February 2009
ndl0071

Is this normal?

Having scraped up enough pennies I took myself off to Park Cameras this afternoon with the intention of buying the 25mm Pancake Lens, having tried it and decided to buy, the assistant (a typical saturday cover person with little/no real knowledge) then informed me that he couldn't find a new one, there was then a whispered debate between him and a more senior full timer anyway to cut a long story short he appeard with a 'new' lens with a warranty card (no box) with the explanation that they had split a kit and thats how it came, I stated that I would prefer a new boxed one and if they didn't have one I would leave it for now, they assured me that splitting kits was common practise and they did it across all the camera brands, I have no reason to doubt that it wasn't a new lens but to me that wasn't the point, if for any reason I wanted to sell it on a box would make an easier sale, anyway I decided to leave it for now to think it over.
Should I have bought it without the box? I haven't come across this before, perhaps because I normally mail order, am I being too sensitive?
What would you have done?
Old 21st February 2009
mike_j

Re: Is this normal?

Some companies do split kits but the fact that the orphan item is unboxed etc should be reflected in the price as the original bundled price will have been less than the sum of the individual items.
Old 21st February 2009
ndl0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
Some companies do split kits but the fact that the orphan item is unboxed etc should be reflected in the price as the original bundled price will have been less than the sum of the individual items.
Thanks for your thoughts, I too drew that conclusion, and I did ask, sadly though they were not interested in any discounting.
Old 21st February 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, I too drew that conclusion, and I did ask, sadly though they were not interested in any discounting.
I would have expected at least 20 off for no box.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd February 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I consider the box to be very important re resale value, but of no use whatsever if you intend to keep the lens forever!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 22nd February 2009
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've seen "splitting" where both items in the kit come in their own boxes - which seems fair enough. Don't buy equipment often enough to know whether "no box" is common.

Is there actually a kit that combines body with pancake lens? Not actively pursuing any purchases at the moment, so I'm not up to date on what's currently on sale.

But I don't like the sound of it - I'd have walked away (even if they dangled a discount under my nose).
Old 22nd February 2009
MarkVarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bowman View Post
Is there actually a kit that combines body with pancake lens? Not actively pursuing any purchases at the moment, so I'm not up to date on what's currently on sale.
yes, E420 comes with the pancake (and when it does I can slip the bugger into my coat pocket!)
Old 22nd February 2009
kuvvy

Splitting the kits has ben going on for a while. When the pancake was launched it was mainly available as a kit and a number of dealers were willing to split in order to fulfil the demand.