Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 15th January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Benefits of two card camera

I'd never really given much thought to the benefits of having two memory cards in the camera until I got home last week from my visit to the frozen pond, and realised I hadn't taken the CF card out of the card reader and put it back in the camera.

The camera had automatically switched to using the XD card, and I hadn't even noticed.
Old 16th January 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,581 Times in 911 Posts
Re: Benefits of two card camera

I've done that as well. Fortunatly a 1GB H-type will keep up with 95% of what I want, so it's never a problem.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 16th January 2009

Liked 893 Times in 407 Posts

And I have done the same Ellie. But I realised and put the CF card in and then was mystified when I tried to download the pictures and found that they weren't there (eventually finding them on the XD card).

Once the camera switches on it detects and defaults to the XD card it doesn't swap back to the CF until you tell it... It is a bit scary when you think you have lost the days pictures!

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 16th January 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
And I have done the same Ellie. But I realised and put the CF card in and then was mystified when I tried to download the pictures and found that they weren't there (eventually finding them on the XD card).

Once the camera switches on it detects and defaults to the XD card it doesn't swap back to the CF until you tell it... It is a bit scary when you think you have lost the days pictures!

Peter
I caught myself doing this many times - dashed out and left the CF Card in the computer's card reader. I now always check the camera before leaving but at least the XD card is big enough in such emergencies but it takes longer for the camera to write to the XD card.
Having to remember to switch back to CF Card when it is refitted is a bit of a pain. Be a nice touch if the camera remembers to check if the CF card is in place as one of the settings in my mode and automatically switch back to it from XD Card.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 17th January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did not think of it much either, until I started to make 360VR panoramas, now it find it very useful to save my panoshots on the XD card to separate them from my 'normal' shots.
Old 17th January 2009

Liked 127 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
..... and realised I hadn't taken the CF card out of the card reader and put it back in the camera.
Happened to me the other week, unfortunately I didn't have a second card in the camera and had to forget about taking photos

Fortunately, it was only for mug shots for our dive club membership cards.

Steve
Old 18th January 2009

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Be a nice touch if the camera remembers to check if the CF card is in place as one of the settings in my mode and automatically switch back to it from XD Card.

Peter
Looks like Oly had already thought of this. I have recently started setting up the 'MyModes' and tested it with the CF card inserted and not. Without the CF card fitted it defaults to XD as we would expect. Switched off and inserted the CF card and on switch-on, the camera detected the presence of the CF card and switched over to it. Well done Oly

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/