Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 7th September 2016

Liked 3,075 Times in 880 Posts
Will the E-M1 II have cross-type AF points?

Yesterday I was trying to photograph a bird perched on a wire netting fence. Some a way behind it was another fence made of vertical railings, quite closely spaced. Try as I might, I was unable to get the camera to autofocus on the bird. It just picked up the railings every time and focused on them. In the end the bird flew off before I could get a shot of it.

I frequently have this problem when the background consists of strong vertical elements, such as reeds or grass. I understand that it is a consequence of the E-M1's autofocus points which are horizontal, rather than cross-type. I know that I could probably have worked around the problem by rotating the camera 90 degrees but this seems like an unnecessary complication to me. Just for the record I was using my 4/3 50-200 SWD lens, so it was using PDAF.

Does anybody have any opinions on whether the E-M1 II will incorporate cross-type AF points when it appears? It could be a deal breaker for me.

Ron
Old 8th September 2016

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Re: Will the E-M1 II have cross-type AF points?

Hi Ron I am hoping that the mk2 will appear at photokina, and put us all out of our misery, hopefully yes to your question. Also a rehash of the phase detection as well. Also two memory card slots as well as a floppy screen. A new grip that will actually take two batteries, a menu that's more logical sigh. One can only hope. I might? Then look at the new OLY 300f4. I do a fair bit of BIF and DIF and I have to use my 7d2s. I do however find both my OLY em511 And em1 good for my dragonfly close up shots.
Kind regards mike.
Old 8th September 2016

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

The mk II will be what it is...
To help with the focus problem s-AF + MF with focus peaking...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to crimbo For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (8th September 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Paul19 (9th September 2016)
Old 8th September 2016

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Yesterday I was trying to photograph a bird perched on a wire netting fence. Some a way behind it was another fence made of vertical railings, quite closely spaced. Try as I might, I was unable to get the camera to autofocus on the bird. It just picked up the railings every time and focused on them. In the end the bird flew off before I could get a shot of it.

I frequently have this problem when the background consists of strong vertical elements, such as reeds or grass. I understand that it is a consequence of the E-M1's autofocus points which are horizontal, rather than cross-type. I know that I could probably have worked around the problem by rotating the camera 90 degrees but this seems like an unnecessary complication to me. Just for the record I was using my 4/3 50-200 SWD lens, so it was using PDAF.

Does anybody have any opinions on whether the E-M1 II will incorporate cross-type AF points when it appears? It could be a deal breaker for me.

Ron
Like you, I have had this problem many times. I also seem to get this problem with a bird on water whcih is a surprise to me because the hogh-contrast ripple behind look mostly horizontal.

For a static bird, I would use Zoom AF and focus on some feather detail around the eye.

The E-M1 II had better have cross type pdaf sensors or else! If it doesn't, we know it won't work very well in many birding situations. However, I wouldn't be over-confident about it coming. I would have to re-think everything in that case!
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyR For This Useful Post:
Wee man (8th September 2016)
Old 8th September 2016

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
The E-M1 II had better have cross type pdaf sensors or else! If it doesn't, we know it won't work very well in many birding situations. However, I wouldn't be over-confident about it coming. I would have to re-think everything in that case!
Completely agree. If it does Olympus will have my money for the new camera and eventually the 300 f4, if not forget it.
Old 10th September 2016

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

I understand what is said about the requirement for cross type pdaf sensors in the next model of the E-M1 however, I don't agree that the current model can't take images of BiF or DiF.

I realise that those using 4/3 lenses on the O-MD system will be frustrated by the slower focusing of these lenses, I certainly was, but the MZ lenses don't have this problem.

I've posted several examples of BiF and DiF in the Foto Fair sub forum and I don't class myself as a proficient photographer.

Here are two examples taken in the last couple of weeks, I believe the system works.

P9072446 by David Goodwin, on Flickr

P8301108 by David Goodwin, on Flickr
Old 10th September 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
I understand what is said about the requirement for cross type pdaf sensors in the next model of the E-M1 however, I don't agree that the current model can't take images of BiF or DiF.

I realise that those using 4/3 lenses on the O-MD system will be frustrated by the slower focusing of these lenses, I certainly was, but the MZ lenses don't have this problem.

I've posted several examples of BiF and DiF in the Foto Fair sub forum and I don't class myself as a proficient photographer.

Here are two examples taken in the last couple of weeks, I believe the system works.

P9072446 by David Goodwin, on Flickr

P8301108 by David Goodwin, on Flickr
So, it's easy to use and doesn't let you down or frustrate you?
Old 10th September 2016

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
So, it's easy to use and doesn't let you down or frustrate you?
I didn't say that.

If it was easy, there would be no point in trying to master it.

I have friends who use Canon and/or Nikon systems, they don't always get the shot either, I know of one who became seriously hacked off with their 7D Mk2.
PeterBirder (10th September 2016)
Old 19th September 2016

Liked 3,075 Times in 880 Posts

Apparently the E-M1 II will have 121 cross-type AF on-sensor phase detection points, which are spread over a wider area than the existing camera. That sounds promising.

Ron
Ross the fiddler (20th September 2016)
Old 19th September 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Further details on Olympus UK

https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/..._ii/index.html

& Olympus US

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/e-m1-mark-ii.html
Old 19th September 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Apparently the E-M1 II will have 121 cross-type AF on-sensor phase detection points, which are spread over a wider area than the existing camera. That sounds promising.

Ron
Looks good. It also has two processors so one can be used for AF while the other is processing images. It also looks like the blackout using the elctronic shutter will be very small. And high speed EVF and...

:-)
Old 19th September 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

This promotional video is quite good.

https://www.facebook.com/Olympus.AU/...9418732069318/

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (20th September 2016), OM USer (22nd September 2016)
Old 20th September 2016

Liked 1,272 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
Unsung to date, but I think a lot of pros and advanced amateurs are going to be impressed by the Olympus Pro service plans announced there. It's something that Sony and Fuji have been getting a lot of stick over recently, and I know a couple of pros who have moved to micro-4/3 recently because of poor backup from those other manufacturers.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 21st September 2016

Very interesting video
with a demonstration of AF tracking. Check out the demonstartion starting at about 1 minute.

The camera is in C-AF (not C-AF+Tr), Sequential-L with all focus points selected. The AF has focused on the nearest part of the subject and smoothly changes focus points to maintain that part of the subject in focus as it moves around the screen.

If this works as it seems to and is accurate, bliss for bif :-).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyR For This Useful Post:
Graham from Wirral (21st September 2016), OM USer (22nd September 2016), sdb123 (21st September 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
catkins (21st September 2016), drmarkf (22nd September 2016), sdb123 (21st September 2016)
Old 22nd September 2016

Liked 1,272 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
If this works as it seems to and is accurate, bliss for bif :-).
We all fervently hope so, but following a slowly moving lens hood doesn't say much about how it will cope with a darting raptor! Let's wait for the independent birding expert reviews.

It's a bit of a beast: against the M5ii it's going to look massive, and it won't fit in bags for which the mki is tight.

I understand why they've gone for a bigger battery (I.e. tossing a bone to the people who kept complaining about this!), but personally this, added to lack of in-body battery charging, is a right pain for compact travel. What is the problem with carrying a spare BLN1 and changing when the (more accurate) indicator tells you to? As a result I'd be much more likely to take my A7S or X70 as a second camera on trips.

OK! That's disposes of my negatives: everything else looks really good to me and I await the non-fanboy reviews with great interest.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.