Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 27th May 2016

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Today's Private Apache Airshow

Today some airforce (could br Brits, could be Johnny-foreigner, better check with Catkins) put on an excellent six-hour airshow over our village.
Apache attack helicopters donchaknow.
One of them even did (almost) a loop-the-loop!!

I got to test out my cheap old 70-300mm four-thirds lens on Paul's not-so-old GH3 which is my body best handling those older long lenses, not owning an E-M1 yet.

And look what e-shutter does to the props!! I switched it off after this quick review

I'm still standing inside my back doorway, upright ;

They make such a racket!
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Internaut (19th June 2016), OM USer (19th June 2016), Ross the fiddler (27th May 2016)
Old 27th May 2016

Thanked 1,120 Times in 702 Posts
Liked 1,463 Times in 731 Posts
Re: Today's Private Apache Airshow

Nice shots and they are something else when it comes to aerobatics.

A few years back I caught the Black Cats doing their thing... QI as a certain celeb would say.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (27th May 2016)
Old 18th June 2016

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Nice captures. From what i can make out of the photos, it looks to me like UK Army AH-64D's. It would be bit more easy to do the identifying if the pics where bit more sharp so you could actually read the markings on the helicopter. I know will still be difficult because of the black markings on the drap olive green.
From what i can make out so far by looking at the air intake of the engine, there is a roundel which looks like the low visibility roundel of the UK armed forces. I can make out a dark grey circle with inside a lighter shade of dark grey dot. It looks a bit like the dark blue with red center roundel but then in shades of grey. To me, from looking at the photos provided here, it must be an Army AH-64D of the UK armed forces.

Besides, the AH-64D is just 1 of very few helicopters that can actually do a loop de loop. I've seen it done by the RNLAF Apache Demo Team, which is the only operating air force that actually fly a display normally only the factory pilots would fly to demonstrate what the AH-64 Apache is capable of.
Here is a shot i took last week at the RNLAF Open days at Leeuwarden AFB:

Oly OMD E-M 10 Mark II
Oly E-420
Oly Zuiko ED 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
Oly Zuiko ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
Oly Zuiko ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens
Chinon 500mm mirror 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens

https://adewit7.wixsite.com/aviationphotography
Old 19th June 2016

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Good pics with the older lens. I still keep, and use mine on the E-3. Just a tip for next time, set the camera to spot ( small point ) exposure, it will then concentrate on the aircraft and not overall exposure, and will lighten the image.

These attack helicopters train locally, bit unnerving to be driving along a low hill and see just the top of the rotors through the trees below going like the proverbial " bat out of hell ".
Old 19th June 2016

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Good pics with the older lens. I still keep, and use mine on the E-3. Just a tip for next time, set the camera to spot ( small point ) exposure, it will then concentrate on the aircraft and not overall exposure, and will lighten the image.
Actually you can use centerweight but for a better, clearer image i would also use spot metering. Also i would set the camera to manual, setting the aperture to f8 n lower the shutter speed to 1/160 or maybe 1/120 max. I also would set the ISO as low as the camera will allow. If possible I would prefer ISO 100 over ISO 200 anytime. In the tutorial section of this forum i have put a small tutorial about aviation photography. Maybe worth to check it out.
This is the link to my tutorial: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19037

Oly OMD E-M 10 Mark II
Oly E-420
Oly Zuiko ED 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
Oly Zuiko ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
Oly Zuiko ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens
Chinon 500mm mirror 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens

https://adewit7.wixsite.com/aviationphotography

Last edited by buddha01; 19th June 2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Added link to tutorial
The Following User Says Thank You to buddha01 For This Useful Post:
Imageryone (19th June 2016)