Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 19th March 2015

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,481 Posts
Liked 4,325 Times in 1,956 Posts
Bicycle Crash

Swanston Street, Melbourne today, Peak hour

Cycling can be a deadly business, but then so can football - E3 + 40-150mm kit

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following User Liked This Post:
macmcgill (20th March 2015)
Old 19th March 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: Bicycle Crash

A nice bit of reportage Mark and a clever montage.

My previously very fit next door neighbour went for a "spur of the moment" bike ride with a friend last week. He hit a patch of loose grit went over the handlebars and now has a broken shoulder, broken ribs and a punctured lung and is wondering if he will ever be able to play his beloved golf again.

Cycling is life changeing, don't do it.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
pandora (19th March 2015)
Old 19th March 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Clever PP

Hope the person was OK?
Old 19th March 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Bicycle Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
A nice bit of reportage Mark and a clever montage.

My previously very fit next door neighbour went for a "spur of the moment" bike ride with a friend last week. He hit a patch of loose grit went over the handlebars and now has a broken shoulder, broken ribs and a punctured lung and is wondering if he will ever be able to play his beloved golf again.

Cycling is life changeing, don't do it.
Well, everything we do in life carries risks - including the risk of cardio-vascular disease by doing no exercise. Choose your poison!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 19th March 2015

Thanked 1,122 Times in 703 Posts
Liked 1,465 Times in 732 Posts

It seems to be all the "RAGE" at the moment -> hit and mom...

Makes one wonder at the mentality of some folk?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 19th March 2015

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts

Anyone who cycles will tell you that a too large proportion of drivers don't give a sh1t about cyclists and that a small (but dangerous) number are actively agressive to them. I've had van drivers trying to deliberately force me off the road and countless others beeping in annoyance that I'm in their way. Truth is that the UK has a terrible attitude to cycling with a road network that is heavily stacked to the drivers' advantage, the number of serious and fatal cycling accidents bear witness to this.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Old 19th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
A nice bit of reportage Mark and a clever montage. My previously very fit next door neighbour went for a "spur of the moment" bike ride with a friend last week. He hit a patch of loose grit went over the handlebars and now has a broken shoulder, broken ribs and a punctured lung and is wondering if he will ever be able to play his beloved golf again. Cycling is life changeing, don't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Well, everything we do in life carries risks - including the risk of cardio-vascular disease by doing no exercise. Choose your poison!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Anyone who cycles will tell you that a too large proportion of drivers don't give a sh1t about cyclists and that a small (but dangerous) number are actively agressive to them. I've had van drivers trying to deliberately force me off the road and countless others beeping in annoyance that I'm in their way. Truth is that the UK has a terrible attitude to cycling with a road network that is heavily stacked to the drivers' advantage, the number of serious and fatal cycling accidents bear witness to this.
Thanks Peter and Paul - Sadly that attitude is not confined only to the UK - I've had one or two near misses from deliberately aggressive or downright careless drivers, yet as you say Peter, everything in life is a risk and we can only do our best to avoid accidents and cycling is and should be a life preserving exercise, which is why I've taken it up again after 55 years of driving.

And as you say Peter, lose grit can also bring a cyclist down as it did me earlier this week when I performed an abortive Immelmann turn too close to the ground - fortunately resulting only in a nasty grazed forearm.

KeithL (20th March 2015)
Old 19th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
Clever PP Hope the person was OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
It seems to be all the "RAGE" at the moment -> hit and mom...
Makes one wonder at the mentality of some folk?
It's hard to say, Al. At least in the photo she appears to be with it, but that doesn't mean that she didn't do herself some serious damage.

And yes, Wally - This accident happened in the very heart of Melbourne which is awash with cyclists 'skimming around cars - especially the smart asses.

Old 19th March 2015

Liked 47 Times in 30 Posts

As someone who cycled for 25 years the first thought is 'Is the bike alright?'
The bike does look alright and she doesn't look to badly injured which suggests a sudden and unsustainable movement to avoid the truck.

Your grazed forearm is technically called road rash.

I fell off a few times, once I think I cracked an elbow, but the most embarrassing was when I cycled into the back of a very attractive young lady's bike on a club run. The only injury was to my pride but what was most scary was the serious advance of several matriachs of the club all clutching first aid kits. My friends were in pain laughing.

Lots of toys.
The Following User Says Thank You to wanderer For This Useful Post:
Old 20th March 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

I've suffered. A friend much more (he cycled in London) to the road. Never knocked off but close. Similarly nearly hit cyclists, I'd like to think my driving is very good, quid speed limit obeyer. But a 20 mph limit in many streets as planned doesn't apply to cyclists on London, nor do red lights
KeithL (20th March 2015)
Old 20th March 2015

Liked 774 Times in 183 Posts

OUCH!!
Some our pavements here have been widened to accommodate cyclists and pedestrians but we still get cyclists on the road.
Being a cyclist myself I'd much rather stay on the pavement where its smoother and safer!!

Mike
Old 20th March 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Cycles and grit are lethal bedfellows. I tried to turn quite sharply as a youngster of about 9, on my bike, not realising that I was on loose grit. I still have the pockmarks in one knee to prove it.....

Maybe that young lady was so engrossed in Mark's image on the side of the truck that she didn't actually see the truck, and rode into it! Many years ago my wife and I stood rapt in a pub car park as an old couple in an Austin A(lle)gro drove in, both looking avidly at something to their right, and drove straight into the corner of the pub building. Didn't damage the pub.......

Back to cyclists: most of the issues that I see on our roads, are frankly six of one and half a dozen of the other. Cyclists in echelons of maybe 30 riding three abreast on country roads, and clearly deliberately preventing other vehicles overtaking. Ignoring traffic lights and Give Way signs - and even One Way signs in the town or city. All those things wind up motor vehicle drivers; then they are less tolerant of cyclists, and treat them badly, so cyclists react against motorists..and the vicious circle grows. All in all, it makes for the conditions for needless accidents.

How come cyclists are allowed to run races on our roads, when it's illegal for other vehicles?

I used to cycle a lot, but I think the whole traffic scene now has become so fraught and intolerant that I wouldn't want to do it now. Likewise with old cars (oldtimers): I used to have a 1934 car, which was slow and had poor brakes. The last few years that I owned it had become quite nightmarish if I used it, in what should be a quiet country area - even some local police are very anti such vehicles.

I think everyone needs to stop switching their brain off when they go on the road, and also remember the proverb "More haste, less speed." And, of course, think about other as well as themselves.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Mrs T (21st March 2015), mstphoto (20th March 2015)
Old 20th March 2015

Thanked 1,122 Times in 703 Posts
Liked 1,465 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstphoto View Post
OUCH!!
Some our pavements here have been widened to accommodate cyclists and pedestrians but we still get cyclists on the road.

Being a cyclist myself I'd much rather stay on the pavement where its smoother and safer!! Mike
On the news just a few days ago was a young child of four (4) years on a bike with stabilisers watched over by her father, was stopped by the police who theatened to confiscate her bike... because she was riding on the pavement? -> Get off yer bike... yer knicked

Apparently, riding a bike on the pavement IS illegal. If truth be told, until I read the above, I had no idea this was the case.

Moral of the story is, don't ride a bike on the pavement but park your car for, AFAIK this is legal?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 20th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
I fell off a few times, once I think I cracked an elbow, but the most embarrassing was when I cycled into the back of a very attractive young lady's bike on a club run.
That happened to me in precisely the same circumstances when I swerved violently to avoid clipping a lady club member's rear wheel and I ended up in a ditch landing on my left shoulder resulting in a torn supra spinalis and sub scapilara that is still in the process of healing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
I've suffered. A friend much more (he cycled in London) to the road. Never knocked off but close. Similarly nearly hit cyclists, I'd like to think my driving is very good, quid speed limit obeyer. But a 20 mph limit in many streets as planned doesn't apply to cyclists on London, nor do red lights
I haven't ridden in Melbourne yet but intend to sometime soon. From what I observed of the hundreds of cyclists in the city last Thursday, I believe that if a rider keeps his wits about him and rides defensively then he should be ok. The same would apply to London I would imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstphoto View Post
OUCH!!
Being a cyclist myself I'd much rather stay on the pavement where its smoother and safer!! Mike
Widening of your pavements to accommodate both cyclists and pedestrians is a good initiative on the part of authorities and the same happens here. I ride on both pavement and road depending upon traffic density and the locality.

Old 20th March 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Cycles and grit are lethal bedfellows. I tried to turn quite sharply as a youngster of about 9, on my bike, not realising that I was on loose grit. I still have the pockmarks in one knee to prove it.....
At around the same age 9 as yourself at the time, I too went over the handlebars when the loose dynamo on the front forks got into the spokes. I also have a slight scar on my upper lip to remind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
On the news just a few days ago was a young child of four (4) years on a bike with stabilisers watched over by her father, was stopped by the police who theatened to confiscate her bike... because she was riding on the pavement.
There's an old saying that applies in that case - "The law is an ass"