Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 13th November 2008
scanny

E! card door broken

Hi All

Alas my trusty E1 has finally give in and is starting to show its ages. I recieved my ne metz flasgun today so put a card in my e1 and started to have a play with it. I just went to remove the card and the actuating clip switch turns freely and has play in it in all 6 axis, i presume it had dissattatched from the oppening mechanism.

Has anyone else had this happen? I can allways leave the card in there and usb to take the photo's off but its a minor inconvinience.

I had been impressed with the body after surviving a thump last hogmany falling of a tripod when one of my less sensible flatmates ran into it, so for it to be tripped up on a minor thing is a little dissappointing
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Re: E! card door broken

I remember someone about 3 years ago having that problem and it had to go back to Oly as he gave up trying to pick the lock so to speak, got the feeling it wasn't that cheap either. I guess if you do pick the lock then Luton cameras could probably supply the spares

Dave
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts

I prefer to leave the card in situ anyway, and download images via USB or Firewire. I do this with all of my digicams.

CF are fiddly things, which are easy to loose or damage pins. The card is much safer inside your E1 than out of it IMHO.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

I love my E-1, but would be frightened to take the card out in case it hadn't finished writing last weeks images to it!

I too am an advocate of just connecting the USB cable directly to the camera - it is faster with a card reader, but the time spent taking the card out and replacing it, plus finding and connecting the reader hardly makes it worth it in my book.
Old 13th November 2008
scanny

It sounds a little too expensive to have oly to replace it so i guess im stuck with the card in situ. As luck would have it its an 8gb card stuck in so it shouldnt prove any trouble.

Thanks all
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

Scanny, here's the link
http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=36586

Don't know if it will help you or not, but worth a read

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 13th November 2008
scanny

Thanks Bill you just saved it! I read the article and truned the body upside down, a shake here and there and its working again, for how long i dont know but it feels fine.

Id love to take it to bits and have a look but ill leave it be. I think the cam has popper of the oppening switch and has popped back on.
Old 23rd March 2009
scanny

The source of the problem made itself known this weekend when the knob for releasing the door fell off. It is attatched via a screw and the end of the know is square fitting into the release mechanism thus with the srew loosening of ot wouldnt open. A bit of a pain as to get into the body to tighten it and put and ensure it has a positive lock (something Olympus decided not to) the card door had to be open. A simple enough fix with a bolt that will yield or some studlock.