Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 29th October 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Damaged Sigma 10 - 20

Hi all,

I damaged my sigma 10 - 20 when in Berlin last month. I have a tamrac adventure 6 backpack which I store all my stuff (just) and I normally have the camera strap hanging out the back of the back pack (not any more).

As I was walking down a street the strap caught on a street bollard type thing and wretched the 510 and attached sigma straight out of the back onto the floor, I was gutted, however the only damage done was to the lens as the pics below show.

The lens no longer feels firm and can be moved slightly on its mount. I've attached another lens and that feels solid so I know its the Sigma. I don't understand how that little crack has caused this loose feeling.

Sigma are wanting £70 to fix which I can't afford at the moment so I'm thinking a big zip tie around the broken bit of plastic may secure it again without marking the lens incase that causes issue with the future repair by sigma.

Any thoughts on how such a small bit of plastic can make the lens feel loose? Do you think it would be safe to use in the mean time?

Cheers
G
Old 29th October 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,715 Times in 774 Posts
Re: Damaged Sigma 10 - 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
Hi all,

I damaged my sigma 10 - 20 when in Berlin last month. I have a tamrac adventure 6 backpack which I store all my stuff (just) and I normally have the camera strap hanging out the back of the back pack (not any more).

As I was walking down a street the strap caught on a street bollard type thing and wretched the 510 and attached sigma straight out of the back onto the floor, I was gutted, however the only damage done was to the lens as the pics below show.

The lens no longer feels firm and can be moved slightly on its mount. I've attached another lens and that feels solid so I know its the Sigma. I don't understand how that little crack has caused this loose feeling.

Sigma are wanting £70 to fix which I can't afford at the moment so I'm thinking a big zip tie around the broken bit of plastic may secure it again without marking the lens incase that causes issue with the future repair by sigma.

Any thoughts on how such a small bit of plastic can make the lens feel loose? Do you think it would be safe to use in the mean time?

Cheers
G
First thought, any chance travel or household insurance might cover the repair and, second, £70 seems very reasonable to me.

Like modern car bumpers, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that cracked plastic is just the external evidence of more seriou structural damage.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 30th October 2008

Liked 696 Times in 368 Posts

Damage may look minor but I think the lens may now have slight front focus at certain parts..but since that lens is f4, the DOF may hide that focusing issue.

All my garbage so far.
Old 31st October 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Cheers Ian,

I emailed the pics to sigma and they reckon £64.99 to fix the lens which like you say ain't bad at all..

Will be sending it off on Monday, still gutted and annoyed at myself for being so careless
Old 1st November 2008

Liked 696 Times in 368 Posts

Hey Garry, accidents do happen. Lucky it's only some minor damage and not something major.

All my garbage so far.
Old 1st November 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Hey Garry, accidents do happen. Lucky it's only some minor damage and not something major.
Cheers Bud