Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 8th October 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts
Re: IBIS Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
I can't see any BHG's...?
Sorry - wrong thread... :turns away and whistles quietly with hands behind back:
Old 8th October 2013
Alpha1

Nice set of images Brian. So come on then what were your camera settings and which lens were you using? I can't see much wrong with these as a first outing.

I am assuming they are from in-camera jpeg rather than processed raw images in which case the camera did a great job with the right man behind the viewfinder!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (26th October 2013)
Old 8th October 2013
Alpha1

House and garden chores this afternoon, so I couldn't play until the light had virtually gone!

I changed lenses to the 100-300 Panasonic, set IBIS to S-1 S and proceeded to work my way from single image, sequential images, S-AF and C-AF (easy to do now with the button on the on/off lever, spot focus set to smallest frame.

The light was awful at 16.45pm , light rain but.....bingo all of the settings worked as expected! Tomorrow, I will do the same with the 75-300 mkll lens.

Anyway for what it's worth this was one of the test images, Olympus raw processed with Adobe RAW. (Latest PS6 update) and 100% crop.

Old 8th October 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
Nice set of images Brian. So come on then what were your camera settings and which lens were you using? I can't see much wrong with these as a first outing.

I am assuming they are from in-camera jpeg rather than processed raw images in which case the camera did a great job with the right man behind the viewfinder!
Damn - just typed a lengthy and detailed response and wiped the lot with a clumsy finger. Sorry - can't face it again - I'll do it again tomorrow!

the key thing is that I have a lot of less good shots to share and need to reshoot this using my preferred settings shutter priority, 1/1250th+ sec speed, f8 ad whatever ISO is necessary

Dave, I've looked at the Flikr images again, if you click on the image it appears in a new page, click on the three white dots bottom left and the full EXIF is shown (thank the lord - I don't need to type it all out again! )

Yes, JPGs with the Oly 75-300 mk1, hand-held

more tomorrow
The Following User Liked This Post:
Westy (10th October 2013)
Old 8th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,272 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
House and garden chores this afternoon, so I couldn't play until the light had virtually gone!

I changed lenses to the 100-300 Panasonic, set IBIS to S-1 S and proceeded to work my way from single image, sequential images, S-AF and C-AF (easy to do now with the button on the on/off lever, spot focus set to smallest frame.

The light was awful at 16.45pm , light rain but.....bingo all of the settings worked as expected! Tomorrow, I will do the same with the 75-300 mkll lens.

Anyway for what it's worth this was one of the test images, Olympus raw processed with Adobe RAW. (Latest PS6 update) and 100% crop.

You forgot to mention ISO 5000

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Old 8th October 2013

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Do you really get problems with shock when photographing the moon? The last time I photographed the moon I was using ISO 200 and at f/7.1 the shutter speed was 1/1000th.

Mirrorless cameras have a lot less shock issues than DSLRs because there is no mirror to flap around and the E-M1. E-M5 and E-P5 all have superbly dampened shutter mechanisms so I really doubt that shutter shock is an issue.

Ian
Not normally, but last night's setting quarter moon was needing around 1/60 to 1/80 sec. at ISO 200 & I needed to go to ISO 400 to get a shutter speed of 1/200 sec. & I also used a 1/2 sec. shutter delay. If the subject isn't moving then it (antishock setting) is just another area that can help ensure a sharper image, so why not use it?
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 8th October 2013

I've had a chance to wander through some of my BIF shots in a bit more detail, processing the RAW files. I'm getting the distinct impression that my apparent problems came back directly to my not using my preferred shutter speed settings.

where I had kept the shutter speed up toward my 1/1250th minimum (in the 1/640th to 1/1000th sec range) I was getting some reasonably consistent results

Here are a few of them, processed down to 1000 pixs on the long side or 800pix on the vertical for web use (not the best to make any definitive observations on)

I'm looking forward to having a shoot with the "proper" settings as I have high hopes for this body, based on my current impressions I think it is focusing faster / better than the EM-5 with this lens.

We shall see

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Old 9th October 2013
Alpha1

Thank you Brian.

Just as with the E-M5, I just think it is essential to share info in our joint learning curve!

Ian

Thanks for adding the ISO info, I knew it was fairly dark! In fact with either the E-M5 or the E-M1 I rarely worry about ISO.

Not so long ago, I would restrict my cameras ISO from climbing above 400! With my old Leica R9/DMR it was 200!

The purpose of this test however was to learn how to use the changed IBIS with S-AF, C-AF and Sequential shutter modes and all were well with this lens at full zoom EFL 600mm at ISO 5000.

I will try again it today with the 73-300ll.
Old 9th October 2013

Quote:
Just as with the E-M5, I just think it is essential to share info in our joint learning curve!
that's one of the things I like about this site, open and positive sharing of ideas and info with none of the back-biting that seems to be so common elsewhere

Well done Ian and others for making it so

(I'm off to the Quay again today, I hope, to give the EM-1 a work out with the panny 35-100 and oly 40-150, mainly in Shutter Priority)

Got to get to grips with this thing's foibles before my shoot at Thruxton on Saturday
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Old 9th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Dead right. When mine arrives I will have all manner of "silly" questions I suspect as I'm going from an E3 rather than an EM-5.

I'd ask all to bear with me please and I'll try not to be so grumpy as I've been of late

Cheers

Hec
Old 9th October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Dead right. When mine arrives I will have all manner of "silly" questions I suspect as I'm going from an E3 rather than an EM-5.

Cheers

Hec
I don't know that owning an E-M5 will be that much of an advantage. From reading the manual (which is like getting dressed in the dark) without actually holding the camera, and the limited time I have held the thing, there are more differences than similarities, and for me at least confusion will reign.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 9th October 2013

I had the chance for another session on the Quay before lunch, using my Panasonic 35-100 and Olympus 40-150, specifically to see if I was experiencing IBIS problems and I think my answer is not with these two lenses.

I set up in my usual BIF mode: Shutter priority with 1/1250th sec, auto ISO, exposure compensation as needed (not very careful with this as I was more interested in just banging out the shots as the birds came by, so quite a lot of under-exposed shots against a bright sky)

Conditions varied from bright blue to heavy cloud cover so it was quite a work-out

observations (too early for conclusions )

- I estimate I was getting around 60% good focus, more when the birds were >30% of frame) which is more or less on a par with my best EM-5 results after a year or so of practise

- focus acquisition using SAF was much faster (subjectively) than with the EM-5, it seemed to snap on and hold focus much easier and hold it more consistently

- I'm still not convinced about CAF for this subject

- I saw less than 1% "IBIS shake" type images (out of 540+) and I reckon they were probably down to my technique (I do want the battery grip to stabilise me, I find the very low inertia of these light lens / camera combos really difficult after my canon L's on the 7D / 5D)

- I like using the camera a lot, knobs and dials just feel better to operate (more subjectivity )

I'll put some more images up in my portfolio later http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com...t-images-19856

but in the meantime here is a grabbed sequence of three shots of a gull that suddenly decided to take off in front of me (approx 40% crops from original)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
bilbo (9th October 2013), Grumpy Hec (9th October 2013), wellyboot (9th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Those three images look excellent Brian!
So would your conclusion be that there may be a problem with IBIS and the 75-300mm at the longer end, or do you think any problem there is could be resolved by a change of technique, and practice?
Probably a difficult question to answer, but the 75-300mm is probably my most used lens, so I don't want to splash out on the E-M1 if I would get better results with my E-M5 75-300mm combo.
Many thanks
Old 9th October 2013

I think its all down to technique in my case but hope to have the chance to confirm that later on either this week or next.

I'm going to try shooting with my monopod attached (closed) to put a bit of inertial mass at the base, in place of my awaited battery grip and suspect that will enable me to get back to my EM-5 results (or better) with the 75-300 on the EM-1

Don't forget I'm a sample of one so you can't take my observations as gospel, just one man's experiences

The images ain't too bad are they (but dreadful exposure control, look at the burn-out - ouch! )
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
wellyboot (9th October 2013)
Old 9th October 2013

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Thank you Brian! You may be a sample of one, but I aspire to get results like you, and value your judgement!
The Following User Says Thank You to wellyboot For This Useful Post: