Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 9th December 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
E-3: In Camera noise filter... on or off?

I have been reading with interest a few threads on several forums regarding the function of in camera Noise reduction on the E-3. What I can't fully make out due to inexperience I guess, is if it is best to have this turned on or turned off.

I appreciate that this will depend on perhaps what you are shooting, and how you post process, but what are the implications of having it turned on or off? Why is there so much talk about it...? Some people say they'd never turn it on, and others say they use it all the time.

Can someone enlighten me on this subject please. Ta...

Old 10th December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: E-3: In Camera noise filter... on or off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I have been reading with interest a few threads on several forums regarding the function of in camera Noise reduction on the E-3. What I can't fully make out due to inexperience I guess, is if it is best to have this turned on or turned off.

I appreciate that this will depend on perhaps what you are shooting, and how you post process, but what are the implications of having it turned on or off? Why is there so much talk about it...? Some people say they'd never turn it on, and others say they use it all the time.

Can someone enlighten me on this subject please. Ta...
The noise filter balances the trade off between resolution and noise grain. The Standard mode, in my view, is a good compromise. Olympus are rather unusual in giving the photographer a choice of noise filter settings that range from virtually no noise filtering to quite a heavy level of noise filtering.

Mainly designed for in-camera JPEGs, Olympus Studio (and Master) will also set the default settings in RAW processing.

My personal feeling, as I usually record RAW and JPEG simultaneously, is to use the standard noise filter mode so that if I need to use camera JPEGs they are a good, ready to use, compromise, but if I need to achieve higher quality, I'd use RAW.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com