Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 19th January 2013

Liked 296 Times in 187 Posts
"Don't try this at home" ! .....

..... well I guess many of us have suffered such a problem at some time or other.

I recently purchased the ring-flash adapter for the 60mm macro ( aka fr-2 ) so that I can attach the ring flash to said lens. Nothing out of the ordinary there, but here is where the "fun" ( not really ) starts ....

I didn't buy a UV filter for the lens as I had a 'like new' Leica UV sitting in a drawer so I screwed it on .... perfect. Next ..... attach the fr-2 and ring flash ..... now for the mistake ....... I attached the adapter to the lens before the flash as I thought this would be quicker and less clumsy .... big mistake ! ..... attaching the flash to the adapter required some considerable force for it to 'lock off' correctly .... ok, no problem, it's done ... EXCEPT .....

...... in the process the filter jammed solid, and I mean SOLID onto the lens. No matter how hard I tried to remove it I couldn't, filter wrench etc ... still no joy. Well it would not normally be the 'end of the world' as I would always keep it on, except ( again ) I noticed the internal face of the filter was quite dusty, I had forgot to clean it first .... MUPPET

So after a week or so of deliberating there was only one thing for it ..... I 'bit the bullet' and decided to 'chance my arm' and remove it with brute force ! Adjustable wrench in hand and 'a wing and a prayer' I proceeded to DESTROY the 'like new genuine Leica filter'

Well it came off as you can see and thankfully the front optic of the lens is ok But it is a lesson learned ..... mount the fr-2 to the ring-flash before the lens, it may be more cumbersome that way but is sure a hell of a lot less stressful

Simon
Old 19th January 2013

Re: "Don't try this at home" ! .....

For CRYING OUT LOUD ! I cannot upload images to my posts again

If you want to see the image it's in my gallery

Thanks Simon
Old 19th January 2013

Lets try pasting the link instead of 'attaching' it ...

Old 19th January 2013

Yep it worked so I must remember this from now on.

BTW ... the lens looks a lot 'healthier'
Old 22nd January 2013

Liked 689 Times in 364 Posts

may sound stupid now but you could have left the lens in a cold place for about 1 hour then using a warm cloth on the lens side and a cold on the filter, try removing it. The heat will expand the lens, the thread mount side making the filter easier to remove without any damage to either...may or may not work.

All my garbage so far.
Old 22nd January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
may sound stupid now but you could have left the lens in a cold place for about 1 hour then using a warm cloth on the lens side and a cold on the filter, try removing it. The heat will expand the lens, the thread mount side making the filter easier to remove without any damage to either...may or may not work.

H'mmm,

Yes that may have worked, then again maybe not, I didn't think of that

Ah well must remember for future reference, then again I hope I don't have the same problem in the future

Kind regards Simon