Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 13th February 2013

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,141 Posts
Re: New Top Specification OMD coming?

Unfortunately, sometimes it's a case of "the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence" & if the other cameras were actually tried & compared to what we have, then it might not look (or be) as green as it appeared.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 13th February 2013
Alpha1

The latest generation Fuji X100s and X20 will both have it.
Old 13th February 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Reading through this thread, it appears that everyone wants the whole system to be robotic. Just generally point the camera and whammo you have a perfect result every time.

I may be old fashioned, but looking at the quality of work submitted to the forum, we can compete, and beat, any forum for any make in the world, and all this with equipment that is Slow, bad ISO, incorrect WB etc etc etc etc, all of which must just go to show that it must be the expertise of the members which is more important than any amount of technology.

How many other members know their equipment so well that they can set it up in the dark without using any lights? I have taught myself to be able to do this, simply because I wanted to know if I could
Old 13th February 2013

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

I'll second this: "looking at the quality of work submitted to the forum..." Every time I noodle around in the image galleries my jaw just drops at the stunners that are lying all over the place. It's not like anyone is specifically saying "Here's my best!" but is more of a flood tide of good talent and beautiful pictures. I just can't get over it. And with such crappy cameras!
(p.s., that last bit was an attempt at a joke....)
Old 14th February 2013
Alpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
I'll second this: "looking at the quality of work submitted to the forum..." Every time I noodle around in the image galleries my jaw just drops at the stunners that are lying all over the place. It's not like anyone is specifically saying "Here's my best!" but is more of a flood tide of good talent and beautiful pictures. I just can't get over it. And with such crappy cameras!
(p.s., that last bit was an attempt at a joke....)
You are quite right of course.

We should all be using plate camera's on large wooden tripods and all weighing a ton but which take beautiful photographs.

Progress never stops, it just slows down sometimes.
Old 14th February 2013

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I love my Olympus gear
I have been disappointed that olympus hasn't shown there hand as to where they are going with their system to give me an updated body to use my considerable collection of four thirds lenses .
I have all the Pro DSLR bodies and the EP1 and EP3.
The OMD is obviously a great Camera but it doesn't feel right to me it is not a camera with the solid feel of the E pro cameras .
If Olympus does produce a OMD Pro camera that can use both four thirds and micro four thirds lenses wih a grip option that gives some balance to large four thirds lenses then I can not see any reason that most four thirds users won't be happy.
My EP3 is ok but the E 3/5 just seems to give such a confendent feel and I get much better results from them .
So for me a OMD PRO body that can focus both lens systems with the same AF and a grip that can give size and battery power would be perfect.
It also would be to me the correct solution for olympus an upgrade for micro users and an option for four third users to use the great prime lenses micro has to offer
JUST DREAMING
Cheers
Old 14th February 2013

Liked 1,397 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
How many other members know their equipment so well that they can set it up in the dark without using any lights? I have taught myself to be able to do this, simply because I wanted to know if I could
I learned the structure and location of options I use on my E-600 since the display is almost dead and most often shows nothing but a grey background.
/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 14th February 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,713 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
The latest generation Fuji X100s and X20 will both have it.
The X-Pro range of Fuji mirrorless cameras, which are newer than the X100 abd X20, don't have on-sensor PDAF.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 14th February 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I love my Olympus gear
I have been disappointed that olympus hasn't shown there hand as to where they are going with their system to give me an updated body to use my considerable collection of four thirds lenses .
I have all the Pro DSLR bodies and the EP1 and EP3.
The OMD is obviously a great Camera but it doesn't feel right to me it is not a camera with the solid feel of the E pro cameras .
If Olympus does produce a OMD Pro camera that can use both four thirds and micro four thirds lenses wih a grip option that gives some balance to large four thirds lenses then I can not see any reason that most four thirds users won't be happy.
My EP3 is ok but the E 3/5 just seems to give such a confendent feel and I get much better results from them .
So for me a OMD PRO body that can focus both lens systems with the same AF and a grip that can give size and battery power would be perfect.
It also would be to me the correct solution for olympus an upgrade for micro users and an option for four third users to use the great prime lenses micro has to offer
JUST DREAMING
Cheers
Totally agree with most of the above. For a time I was wanting an OM-D but have gone off the idea due to the limitations of its use with my existing 43 glass. On the other hand, the end of the year should bring the body that may, at last, replace my E-3.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 14th February 2013

Thanked 1,509 Times in 1,437 Posts
Liked 1,435 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Some want it large, others want it small...
But didn't Oly actually have that in their E-x, E-xx, E-xxx lineup? The E-5 was too big for me; the E-620 was much more the size I wanted. This 3 model grouping seemed to cater for everyone its just that they stopped it.

When I decided to go "digital" the choice was between the E-620 and the E-M5. The E-620 had the better lenses (12-60mm and 50-200mm; anything better out of my price range and too heavy), the E-M5 had the better body (sensor, IBIS, rear screen, SD card, etc). With no prospect of a new E-xxx but the potential fo new MFT lenses I went for the E-M5. Still waiting for that killer zoom lens from Olympus though.
Old 16th August 2013
Alpha1

There is a lot of internet traffic concerning the new "high end" cameras from Olympus due to be launched this coming September. The 15th seems to be the preferred date, although Olympus Uk are running several local days throughout that week.

Both an E-5 and E-M1 are reputed to be launched but the specs of the E-M1 are looking good, if they are right!!
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51742527
Old 17th August 2013
Alpha1

More info coming in all the time now:
http://m43blog.com/is-this-olympus-om-d-e-m1/

Also:http://m43blog.com/this-is-how-olymp...ed-iq-of-e-m5/

The PDAF (Phase detect AF off sensor) feature could even solve our BIF problems!! Apparently Sony have collaborated with Oly on a completely new sensor with improved resolution over the E-M5.

Exciting stuff if it's good as the words say! I also like the separate WB feature.
Old 17th August 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

ISO 100, 1/8000th shutter speed , same batteries as the EM-5, combined Phase / contrast detection focusing - that would do me for starters, here's hoping

(and a nice new 200mm 2.8 would be nice too)
Old 17th August 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

It all sounds very exciting and I have the cash ready, since my son has repaid a loan, but having made an impulsive decision to purchase the EM5 as soon as it was announced and been disappointed on the BIF/CAF tracking front, I will be waiting for a few months until the real reviews appear!

David
Old 17th August 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
It all sounds very exciting and I have the cash ready, since my son has repaid a loan, but having made an impulsive decision to purchase the EM5 as soon as it was announced and been disappointed on the BIF/CAF tracking front, I will be waiting for a few months until the real reviews appear!

David
Better still, wait until Ian has some hire stock and try one for a weekend.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau