Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 13th August 2011

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts
Portrait With Pop!

Taken today for my daughters engagement. Wanted something slightly different for a couple of them, so PP with Nik Colour Efex. EXIF intact...... she likes it anyway!

E-PL2 & 14-150mm

Crit more than welcome....

Old 18th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Portrait With Pop!

I love the composition and the eyes look great. What a beautiful couple!

My only question is that she seems to have a slight yellowish tint to the skin colour. Did you use a gold reflector?

Nice shot though!
Old 18th August 2011

Hi. and thanks for the comment. Quite hard to come by them on here unless you shoot birds, insects or flowers it seems!

There was a cross-processing filter used during the PP, hence the slight tinge.... I'm glad it was intentional though!
Old 18th August 2011

Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,309 Posts
Liked 2,348 Times in 1,118 Posts

Derek I like that shot too, it's a nice thoughtful and natural pose. I don't know what a cross processing filter is but I do like the very light exposure treatment you gave it. I know what you mean about birds, insects and flowers - definitely guilty there I'm afraid but to do people well needs confidence I don't have yet and the bugs don't complain .
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Nice clean portrait image Derek, love the soft tones too. Well controlled exposure as its very easy to lose detail in the highlights with this type of photo, congratulations on keeping it under control, and a nice pleasing choice of angle.

You must be proud of this one and you Daughter of cause.

Dave
Old 18th August 2011

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

I especially like the expressions and light exposure in this. The eyes in them both stand out very well.

I'm guilty of the bird and bug thing as well, but no one I know wants to be photographed and the bugs are good sports Birds I call work

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 18th August 2011

Thank you Cathrine - I work on the theory that everyone wants to be photographed, but just say they don't to be modest..... probably why I'm short on friends...
Old 19th August 2011

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

There's two types of images I really like seeing, but never take myself. One is people I don't know. I hate having my photograph taken, so I naturally assume no one else does, either. In addition, the places I've been to lately where I find the people interesting enough to want to portray have been aboriginal Australia and Native Americans, and both have been highly sensitive about having their portraits taken. You actually need an Authority permit to photograph if you want to publish on the web, even non-commercially. And with my family, I take photos of them, but I'm restrictive about what I publish on the web.

Edit: And my kids and husband usually pull faces ...

The other thing is street photography. I really like seeing them because many convey such strong and important messages, and good images can be very socially significant as art. I never take them myself though, because I have to want to photograph to be able to do so. And when I'm in a city, I usually just want to go home to the "bush" So, landscapes, feathers and bugsies from me, I'm afraid.

But keep the portraits and street photographs coming!

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 19th August 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it my screen that her eyes are a bit soft? And she looks a little sad to me... maybe she's thinking that's about the parties and craziness and it's time to play like an adult
Otherwise I really like the angle and the detail in the eyes I'm just a wannabe... for now... and I don't do bugs/birds, rather my little one and hotels What matters is that they like their picture and that's the most important when you're photographing people I suppose
Old 19th August 2011

I was just glad to get a good few keepers from the shoot - the number of shots binned due to eyes closed/blinking was awful. At least 50%, although I never thought of counting at the time......
Old 19th August 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I'm seeing a very yellow-green tint to the patch of forehead skin between her locks of hair, maybe isolate just that bit and tone it pinker or desaturate?
Other than that I like it ... maybe I'd get rid of the green V of the ?picture frame corner top centre.
( While silverefex has been used to make loads of nice pics, I've not yet seen even one pic modified by colourefex which I thought was an improvement over 'normal' PP such as contrast, saturation, lightroom's clarity and recovery stuff.)