Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 25th June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Hursley, Between Romsey & Winchester

Coming back from a trip to Hilliers Alboretum, I travelled through Hursley, for the second time in a few hours. But yesterday, I noticed the architecture! Within only half a mile, were so many period designs. As my "baby for the day" was now asleep, I stopped turned around, found a few places to park, and grabbed a few shots.

Full information on Hursely is available here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hursley

First on the left is a pub "The Dolphin"

Next a terrace of cottages - the one for sale built about 1618

I found the for sale details ! 625,000 ... for a 4 bedroom semi, on a busy main road seems a bit excessive to me, even for Winchester area ! I shall tell you why the price is high, later on !

http://www.jackson-stops.co.uk/cgi-b...l?propID=43710

I had to take the next cottage from this strange angle, because of the Chelsea tractor parked outside !

look at the roof to the left of this white cottage - the rafters have shrunk, well I hopes it not dry rot !

Opposite are some later cottages with black timber work on the front, built 1891

Across the road are some more similar cottages and The Old Forge - now the village hairdresssers

Past the pink house (behind the forge and tree) is the Newsagents & Post Office (red canopy) and on the corner is the Butchers (black & white canopy)

I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 25th June 2011

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts
Re: Hursley, Between Romsey & Winchester

Ah, Hursley. I once attended a meeting hosted by a large international business machinery company who live there. Got the train to Romsey and the bus from there to Hursley no probs. Signing in at reception the nice young lady asked where I had left my car. No car, I said. In that case she could order a taxi to collect me, what time would I like it. No taxi thanks, I said. How did you get here then sir? I walked up from the bus stop, I said. She was utterly dumbfounded that anyone would do that!

It's a shame I never needed to visit in the summer. It would have been quite a nice couple of hours cycling over from Salisbury and I would have loved to walk into reception clad in the dayglo Lycra (think shrink-wrapped radioactive lard) and asked where to park the bike and get showered and changed.

Photo content - the bus stop to go back to Romsey is the one outside the post office in Chevvy's last photo.

Ciao ... John
Old 25th June 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Opposite the Butchers & Next to/Post Office is the village church

first the entrance to the church grounds and the Vicars cottage

and the Church

The hanging flower basket is off the Butchers and this is the street behind the shops. The big window was the entrance to the old Coach House

The house to the left of the big Coach house window is the old "Customs House"

along from Customs is another terrace - this time with a steep tiled roof and tiled side. I wondered why and apparently downstairs the walls are 9 inches thick but upstairs is plaster/wattle & daub on wood - for the tiles are weathering and a way of reducing the weight on the foundations.

and opposite the Church is a Pub ! Why I wonder ? perhaps because the congregation were thirtsy from all that singing and praying and, shame they could not drink the water only beer!

If you look at the EXIF you will see that this was the first photo I took in Hursley ! Look at those chimmneys !

I love this Georgian 4 story elegant house ! about 3m worth

again some 1891 homes with black wood on the front - to improve the look and in Jacobean style

and their garden, I had to capture it, the Wishing Well and the George Cross !

Finally, this terrace of houses ! First from the right

Then from the Left

These Chimmneys from right

Centre

LEFT

I cannot imagine how long it took a bricklayer to make these Chimmneys'. Sometimes they are made with ordinary house bricks, others are special made to order bricks for specific chimmneys!

I remembered the village Chenies Manor and their magnificant chimmneys - house and gardens, near my home in Lacey Green, Bucks a few decades ago!

http://www.cheniesmanorhouse.co.uk/

To my these houses are beautiful, with their unusual architecture and windows and chimmneys - all in half a mile of street! I hope you have enjoyed this too ! and the reason homes here are so expensive ... just along is and behind is IBM Hursley and the Execs like to live close to work

IBM
http://www-05.ibm.com/uk/locations/hursley_details.html
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 25th June 2011

Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,312 Posts
Liked 2,350 Times in 1,120 Posts

Fantastic chimneys, something that is often overlooked. You couldn't miss these though. It looks like a lovely village.
Old 25th June 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Interesting series, shame the sky was less than co-operative.

The fact that churches and pubs are often close together (though sometimes just coincidence) is often related to church history.

In the 12'th-15'th century the interior of a church would have been very different to that which we know today. Specifically there would have been no pews, the congregation would have stood (the elderly could claim the support of the walls and lean on them - hence 'going to the wall'). The nave was thus an open enclosed space. It was thus ideal for use for markets and celebrations of all kinds. It became the practise to serve beer at these events (which may well have been brewed in or near the church), similar 'goings - on' would also have taken place in the church grounds. Come puritanism and the 'pewing' of the churches (pews were rented out to the occupants/and or the space charged for) the use of the church for 'drinking festivals' was officially discouraged. However it was a great money spinner for the church so many 'parishes' established church houses on the edge of the church grounds, these were used for all manor of social events (usually involving drinking). As time went on these church houses often either became the village pub or led to others setting up a pub nearby.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 26th June 2011

Liked 537 Times in 375 Posts

Legend has it that the use of a swing arm controlled by an electro magnetic device to move the arm across the surface of a disk drive was evolved in a lunch time conversation in the Dolphin Pub. Hence the name Dolphin disk drive.

Prior to this design change the drive head was moved backwards and forwards into the disk platters by a lead screw.

Hursley House was one of the homes of the Spitfire fighter plane - allegedly a lot of design work was carried out there.

The House was an amazing place to work in or attend meetings in the large room, a ballroom, I think from the days when the House was lived in by people rather than a lab to design and develop computers and associated hardware and the development of software.