Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd April 2011

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: A Tale of Two Clients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
before I had chance to go any further I was given precise and comprehensive instructions as to what was required, make sure that plenty of light gets into the vaulted ceilings, make sure the flames from the waist high open fire can be clearly seen, emphasise the beautiful views from the master bedroom but ensure I keep the antique dresser in shot. This went on for some while, then I was told 'if you can come over and take the photographs today and then go away and use your computer to make it look as though the sun was shining! and then bring the images back for us to check that will be fine. We'd like all the images burning onto a disk so we can print and copy them as much as we like "
Swiftly followed by, "we are prepared to pay 150!!"
I can't help wondering how this lady would react if a potential guest rang up and, after giving a detailed list of requirements, finally specified how much they were prepared to pay. Perhaps you should try it when they open?
Old 2nd April 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Tell her to get a quote off a plumber to 'pop over' from 40 miles away, spend a few hours generally sorting things out, to come back tomorrow and complete some work... then tell them you'll pay half their quote

Old 2nd April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People undervaluing someone elses trade....

is one of the most annoying things I have ever had to deal with.

This won't help those of you who work as photographers but I am kind of glad I no longer seek to make a living out of photography.

After being a part/time then full time photographer for a number of years people would still say things like "take some pics of my girlfriend/daughter for her modelling portfolio, photograph my wedding, etc, for a bit of practice"

for a bit of practice that used to really get my goat! The sentiments implied in "pop down" in the original post actually mean "I don't value your travel time" when they would probably charge for their own travel and work time to the minute.

I am afraid I am probably too jaded to ever try and earn money from photography again. I often found the amount of time spent was grossly under-reflected in value by the amount people want to pay.

In fact the digital workflow takes more of your time now, and involves the use of much more expensive equipment - amazingly I used to use my OM2n / Om4Ti and 24mm/50mm/100mm for nearly everything and an LPL enlarger to print 10x8s!

The other annoying part of your post is the part where the "client" expects you to make it look like the sun is shining "in your own time mate, spend as much of your time on it as you like". This is because "anything is possible on a computer nowadays" but it costs you nothing.

God, I can see these snobs looking down at you (or me if it had been me) with every breath uttered. I am so annoyed but it reminds me of the last photo I had published (last year): an editor for a car magazine asked me for photos of an event. At first he wanted photos emailed, then resized as low res for viewing and high res for publication on a CD. The list of demands just went on and on.

Actually it turned out they were only going to use one and it took me about a month to get their cheque for 25.00. The dealership who also used several of my photos for publicity which "helped them a lot" (his words) said call up when you need any help with your car. When I did he didn't want to "go out of his way using his way using his garage".

It was OK for me to use my tools (camera, lens, computer) to "help his business a lot" but the "favour" was not reciprocated. Meaning a garage, ramp and mechanic's tools, as well as their time, have a much higher value than my gear and time.

Anyway I think his name, and the magazine editor's strangely, were both Wayne Kerr. What a coincidence.

This hasn't helped you but it's helped me get a load of my chest.

One thing you did right, and I really mean this, was quote a high price.

The value of someone's trade should always be priced realistically to uphold the value of said trade and to make people realise it has a value.

Otherwise anyone who's just wandered into Jessops and bought a D3000 will be setting themselves up as a wedding photographer...OMG that has really happened

Just my worthless 2c worth as the Americans say...

Malc
The Following User Says Thank You to malc350 For This Useful Post:
theMusicMan (2nd April 2011)
Old 2nd April 2011

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts

A friend of mine who's a woodworker was asked to give a quote for quite a complicated fitted staircase. When he gave the client a quote they said "But I can get one for 100 from Wickes!". My friend replied "Then why don't you get one from there?". To which the client said "But it won't fit!" My friend then said "Well, I can make you one for 100 that won't fit!"

He didn't get the job!

Jim
Old 2nd April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts
Re: People undervaluing someone elses trade....

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc350 View Post
is one of the most annoying things I have ever had to deal with.

This won't help those of you who work as photographers but I am kind of glad I no longer seek to make a living out of photography.

After being a part/time then full time photographer for a number of years people would still say things like "take some pics of my girlfriend/daughter for her modelling portfolio, photograph my wedding, etc, for a bit of practice"

for a bit of practice that used to really get my goat! The sentiments implied in "pop down" in the original post actually mean "I don't value your travel time" when they would probably charge for their own travel and work time to the minute.

I am afraid I am probably too jaded to ever try and earn money from photography again. I often found the amount of time spent was grossly under-reflected in value by the amount people want to pay.

In fact the digital workflow takes more of your time now, and involves the use of much more expensive equipment - amazingly I used to use my OM2n / Om4Ti and 24mm/50mm/100mm for nearly everything and an LPL enlarger to print 10x8s!

The other annoying part of your post is the part where the "client" expects you to make it look like the sun is shining "in your own time mate, spend as much of your time on it as you like". This is because "anything is possible on a computer nowadays" but it costs you nothing.

God, I can see these snobs looking down at you (or me if it had been me) with every breath uttered. I am so annoyed but it reminds me of the last photo I had published (last year): an editor for a car magazine asked me for photos of an event. At first he wanted photos emailed, then resized as low res for viewing and high res for publication on a CD. The list of demands just went on and on.

Actually it turned out they were only going to use one and it took me about a month to get their cheque for 25.00. The dealership who also used several of my photos for publicity which "helped them a lot" (his words) said call up when you need any help with your car. When I did he didn't want to "go out of his way using his way using his garage".

It was OK for me to use my tools (camera, lens, computer) to "help his business a lot" but the "favour" was not reciprocated. Meaning a garage, ramp and mechanic's tools, as well as their time, have a much higher value than my gear and time.

Anyway I think his name, and the magazine editor's strangely, were both Wayne Kerr. What a coincidence.

This hasn't helped you but it's helped me get a load of my chest.

One thing you did right, and I really mean this, was quote a high price.

The value of someone's trade should always be priced realistically to uphold the value of said trade and to make people realise it has a value.

Otherwise anyone who's just wandered into Jessops and bought a D3000 will be setting themselves up as a wedding photographer...OMG that has really happened

Just my worthless 2c worth as the Americans say...

Malc
No wonder you became disenchanted with being a pro. I hope the experience hasn't dulled your enthusiasm or enjoyment of photography as an amateur.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
No wonder you became disenchanted with being a pro. I hope the experience hasn't dulled your enthusiasm or enjoyment of photography as an amateur.
No it's actually made me appreciate photography more. When I worked as a photographer I felt trapped - i.e. taking specifically what they wanted. Now I can take what I want, when I get any time for photography that is!

Malc
Old 4th April 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc350 View Post
No it's actually made me appreciate photography more. When I worked as a photographer I felt trapped - i.e. taking specifically what they wanted. Now I can take what I want, when I get any time for photography that is!

Malc
Glad to hear it!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th April 2011

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts

Going back to the original thoughts.

I've stayed in many B&Bs in the West. I've always preferred the simpler ones as the welcome and standard of service is invariably superb.
I once left a jacket in a B&B just South of Portree. I phoned up and the owner sent it on to me at her cost (she wouldn't accept money) which probably got rid of her profit.

I'm not convinced that there is that big a market for five star places. They are presumably living off the shrapnel from The Three Chimneys.
So with that level of courtesy the welcome as you come through the door will be worth observing. Although will they actually be there or will it be 'staff' running the business? I hope they go bust.

Lots of toys.
Old 4th April 2011

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Are you sure it wasn't Penelope Keith or Patricia Routledge getting "in character" for an early April Fool joke? You should have asked her if it was OK to enter through the front door or should you report to the servent's quarters round the back!
I was thinking Hyacinth Bucket here as well. Sorry, Bouquet.

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 5th April 2011

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
A few minutes later the 'phone rings again and this time a very elderly lady who is house bound asks if I could restore a photograph taken of her late husband. The photograph was taken in the 1940's and she would like a 'nice' photograph of her husband to leave to her grandchildren. The original photographer in Glasgow isn't there any more. She sounded surprised about this. This lady lives very modestly, about 8 miles from me and promised me a 'wee bit of something for my lunch if I could help her out'
Before trying to explain some of the potential challenges I was asked ..." I can only afford about 200 will that be enough ?"
Can anyone spot a difference in attitude?
It's no wonder we English have a bad rep for rudeness and arrogance up here.
I really enjoyed your story (Mrs. Hyacinth strikes again) but one question:
What happened with the elderly lady ? did you help her restoring the photograph ?
I really think sje deserves a helping hand (I would give it a try for free if I lived nearby !).
Old 5th April 2011

Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts

We want keeping up to date about the old lady

Don't worry the "major" & his wife will soon get the locals back up and a premium will be placed on all services rendered- then they will go back down south moaning about the xenophobic Islanders.
Old 6th April 2011

Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
It's just got worse.
My reply " one rank higher than Marshall of the Royal Air Force, it's called Mr" The line went dead.
You're a former Foreign Secretary?

dJE
Old 6th April 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

A few years ago my wife and I were "staff" running a 4 star b&b north of Oban for the owners. We went out of our way to be friendly and helpful to our guests. Once an American visitor (he owned a very influential US law practice) left his new fleece jacket after our stay. We knew where he was going next, so I drove the fleece the 100 miles there and it got there before he did. As a "tip" he paid for us both to go for a meal in one of Argyll's top restaurants with all drinks included. So there's good and bad on both sides of the counter. By the way, we're both English

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post

I'm not convinced that there is that big a market for five star places. They are presumably living off the shrapnel from The Three Chimneys.
So with that level of courtesy the welcome as you come through the door will be worth observing. Although will they actually be there or will it be 'staff' running the business? I hope they go bust.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 6th April 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
... By the way, we're both English
...but the census did ask you what you felt you were separate from your ethnic origin...!

...and yes, what happened to the old lady...
Old 6th April 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

For that question I answered Lancastrian! But that I understood Scots. But not Aberdonian - no-one understands Aberdonian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
...but the census did ask you what you felt you were separate from your ethnic origin...!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site