Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 1st January 2011
Alan Clogwyn

Re: Does this sky look Noisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
You've certainly done a good pp job, Alan. Sure, I can see artifacts if I boost my screen image to 200% but that's really stretching a low res image. In fact, that's the difficulty of accurately assessing a forum posted image. Have you tried making a print yet, and if so how did it turn out?
At the risk of going wayy off on a tangent, I have printed both colour and B&W versions. In print the colour is considerably better than B&W, you really struggle to see any noise (these are full page A4 on gloss paper), but the B&W does show it up worse, it alos shows banding but I think that's a printer issue not an image one.
Old 1st January 2011
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
having taken the raw file and viewed the top corner at 1200% I don't see 'noise' in the way I was expecting to from the thread title etc

and the E3 is better at 100 than 200 so why shoot an image with those settings at that ISO on that camera if concerned about 'noise'.

what I did see, that I didn't like, was huge variation in sharpness amongst the foliage in the image. Initially I though it was focus related because the extreme foreground was so sharp, but eventually I had to conclude it was lens bases as, for example, the lower left looks particularly bad and all extremes poor.

there - given you something else to ponder!
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the files, its appreciated

I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with the grainyness in the photograph? Perhaps noise wasn't the correct term to use.

Why shoot at ISO200? I've read somewhere that the E3 dynamic range is optimised at ISO 200 rather than 100 and also stems from when my Grandad first gave me a film SLR, he told me to buy ISO200 film and I've kinda stuff to it when hand holding the camera.

The lens I used was the sigma 10 - 20. I wonder if that issue can be resolved by sending it back to Sigma but I'm not overly concerned providing the camera is okay as the 12-60 is the main lens I use. I know you said its not a focal issue however Olympus did find a autofocus problem with my E3 (the photograph was taken prior to me sending the camera to Olympus).

Thanks again, sorry for sounding like a broken record.

Cheers
Garrie
Old 1st January 2011

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
Why shoot at ISO200? I've read somewhere that the E3 dynamic range is optimised at ISO 200 rather than 100 and also stems from when my Grandad first gave me a film SLR, he told me to buy ISO200 film and I've kinda stuff to it when hand holding the camera.
I understand the film thing - I almost always used ISO400 negative film because it was the best compromise for general use.

On a digital camera you have the choice every shot.

E3 optomised at 200 is a new one on me - whilst I use the 30 at 200 I would choose 100 for the 3 (all other things being equal etc etc); but I've been wrong before. DR and 'noise' are often 2 sides of the same ISO coin though - and of course there's jpeg engine output v pushing a RAW file around in post.

The clarity is not an AF issue (here) just compare the centre bottom with the right bottom to see what I mean. 12-60 will do way better.
The Following User Says Thank You to photo_owl For This Useful Post:
Garrie (1st January 2011)
Old 15th January 2011

Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Garrie;96900]
I've not really used a noise program before as I admit I only really shoot JPG

I wonder if there is a issue with the sensor in my E3? Could it be 1 sensor is noticably more noisy than the other?
[QUOTE]

I would definately shoot RAW, so much more to play with! Especially if shooting conditions are difficult.

If there is a difference between individual sensors, then I have a noisy one as well :-) Maybe it's because I got mine in the US, they tend to be a bit more loud over there

I think there may well be differences between individual items, I've tried a 50-200mm once which was definately sharper than mine (test shots with same camera, settings and image).

I have heaps of pictures of birds against the sky which are going to get a little re-processing when I have the time, because the skies are so noisy. On the other hand, I'm mostly just thrilled if it isn't raining during fieldwork. I have some thousands of grey shots, where there is plenty of grain. Also called fog.

My photoblog: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/blog
My gallery: http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/

My book on Viovio
Old 15th January 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

To answer the initial question from my subjective point of view: yes, it does.

I looked up the camera settings from the jpg-file and found these settings:
contrast: +1
sharpness: 0
NR: standard

IMHO the higher set contrast value plus activated NR might be responsible for the grain in the blue sky parts. I wonder why you used NR in the first place?!

Falk