Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd December 2010
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
That Forum again..

Hi All,

I've recently been reading Talk Photography forums again and I gotta admit its a superb resource and I've enjoyed reading the forums (I don't post often)

However the lack of respect Olympus gets on the forum is shocking. I came across this post with someone asking about a 40 - 150 lens.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/for...56#post3192256

within the post there was this comment

Quote:
What is the camera you are looking at? Is it an Olympus 4/3 or a "proper" DSLR?
and this

Quote:
By choosing the 4/3 route, you have made explaining things really hard, as its all different to a "normal" sensor!!
Now maybe I'm being over sensitive but WTF?! Since when would you call a Oly not a "proper" DSLR? Perhaps its meant tongue in cheek?
Old 2nd December 2010

Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Re: That Forum again..

it's amazing how much anti-Olympus feeling there is out there. At least the poor chap got some useful help in the end - and hopefully he'll find his way to this forum.....!

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
Old 2nd December 2010

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Snap Garrie.... I was reading the exact same post earlier and have to agree with you with regard to the heavy anti Oly comments that occasionally surface over on TP.
Having read that thread I thought I would drop in with a more positive and level headed comment at the end as well as try to help Liam out.

I tend to do a quick search on TP for Olympus discussions every now and again to see if there is anything worth dropping in on.

I would say it's not only Olympus that gets the occasional rough treatment but I've seen Pentax suffers too (being an ex-Pentax user).

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 2nd December 2010
Kiwi Paul

We are dealing with ignorance on these forums, folk have no idea whether Oly is good bad or indifferent but have an "opinion" based on what others tell them who are equally ignorant.
The best way is to post top quality images to the forums but not state what equipment it was taken with, wait for the comments about how sharp the image is, what good quality etc then tell them it was taken with an E series camera at high ISO, that usually results in silence not surprisingly.

Paul
Old 3rd December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Take what you read on TP with a pinch of salt. The ignorance there is disturbing, the rudeness frightening but I've learnt how to dish it out, too (even to the point of getting suspended ).

I once started a thread advocating that the E3 was a better camera for wildlife (taking into account the x2 crop factor and the lenses available) than the Nikon D3. That really stirred things up, but the Nikon boys had no answer to my arguments - except one, who resorted to "It's the photographer that counts, not the camera!"

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3rd December 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Yep, totally agree with you Garrie. I've just posted.

The shamefull thing is though, that the mods do absolutely nothing about it, nothing at all. Yet if I were to make any comment about any other brand, I'd be suspended. Simple as.

Old 3rd December 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
... I've learnt how to dish it out, too (even to the point of getting suspended ). ...
I'm sure I came this close myself. The mods have a difficult job I guess.

I am constantly amazed at how many bad photos are posted there, often hugely overexposed (a current portrait fashion it seems) with terrible white balance (are they blind?) and nothing sharp in the whole frame. Almost without exception the camera listed is a Canon entry/consumer DSLR with kit zoom. What's that about Mr.Canon?

Most of the good photographs are using 1000+ lenses on 1000+ bodies, and it all makes the Olympus kit look tremendous value.
Old 3rd December 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that is one of the reasons i hardly post there any more!

Well done guys for speaking up for the system, It was great reading all of your comments. I just wish i had the balls and tech info to do it myself

I wonder what they'll say next HaHA

Chris
Old 3rd December 2010

Thanked 1,122 Times in 703 Posts
Liked 1,465 Times in 732 Posts

Over the years I've used / abused many makes of camera. The problem is that it is hard to break down the scepticism / brand ignorance of others by words alone. No doubt we all have preferences on the gear we use and,and, to be honest, if you spent 000's on gear you are going to argue that your gear is superior to other brands. Best way to argue the toss is with factual evidence... blow away the prejudices / arguments with pictures. Let the others see for themselve just how good your chosen gear is. From what I've heard and seen, the e-5 is just one such example. This just doesn't go for the Oly fans but for every make of camera out there.

You can argue 'till your blue in the face... but a picture is worth a thousaand words.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 3rd December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Yep, totally agree with you Garrie. I've just posted.

The shamefull thing is though, that the mods do absolutely nothing about it, nothing at all. Yet if I were to make any comment about any other brand, I'd be suspended. Simple as.
Oh dear John, it looks like you've been shown a little discipline

While TCR4x4 is trying to wriggle out / justify his initial statement...

I must admit it is difficult to judge whether his comment was in jest, ignorance or with some purpose.....

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 3rd December 2010

Hehe, I know... aren't I a naughty boy?. The thing is Huw, it is commonplace on TP that comments such as those made by 4x4 go unchecked, but if anyone dares challenge or deride Canikon then they are dealt with.

I couldn't care less about being suspended, but the only thing I am slightly annoyed with is I am helping organise a trip for members on that forum to the Brecon Beacons tomorrow morning, and people are looking to me to post information and updates etc. I sent that twit mod Matty a message saying if he were to suspend me, do so tomorrow because others might be not able to get in touch with me, but he has suspended me and sent me a message saying... "you should have thought about that before taking it into your own hands".

Says it all really. It won't affect me, but it will possibly affect others - and that's the PM I get from him with the ability to reply taken away from me. Ho hum.

Old 3rd December 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Oh dear John, it looks like you've been shown a little discipline

While TCR4x4 is trying to wriggle out / justify his initial statement...

I must admit it is difficult to judge whether his comment was in jest, ignorance or with some purpose.....
Well done John for being suspended

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 3rd December 2010

Well yes it does all seem all a bit uneven handed, I have seen similar comments about minority hardware go unchecked where as Canikon always seems to be steadfastly protected

By the way I hope you manage to sort out the communications for your trip, it would be a shame is that was spoiled as a result if this.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 3rd December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Well done John for being suspended
Others have done far worse Dave, and yet had nothing done to them. It's all about power to one jumped up Mod (Matty), and the fact that TP is simply massively biased in favour of Nikon and Canon.

I join the ranks of Zuiko hehe

Old 3rd December 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Others have done far worse Dave, and yet had nothing done to them. It's all about power to one jumped up Mod (Matty), and the fact that TP is simply massively biased in favour of Nikon and Canon.

I join the ranks of Zuiko hehe
Congratulations John

Just a thought about your trip, if all of the dealings where done in thread then maybe one of us could help you out and pass on the details?