Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 1st October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Olympus is dead! (My camera stopped working)

I've been following this, and other Olympus forums for a little while. I, like many others was excited about the release of the new E-5 - for me its something which I aspire to, a little too out of my price bracket to purchase for a good while yet.

What I found a little annoying were the reactions of people who say 'Olympus is dead'

Now I'm not a pro togger. I dont do this for a living. I was attracted to Olympus and the four thirds system cos you got better glass for your cash and the advantage of the 2x crop factor.

The E-5 has been a dissapointment for some, but it hasnt changed one fundamental thing........even if the E-5 wasnt what some were hoping, my camera still takes pictures! In fact it is still better than I am!!

I'd like to share with you some pictures taken recently at Lotherton Hall, near Leeds. As I said I am still very much learning photography and these really are not much more than mere 'snaps' but I'd like to make the point that they prove my camera still works, and prove the old saying "there's life in the old dog yet"

Comments are, as always, more than welcome - I still consider myself as being a complete novice!!

Lothernton Hall

Oh, in case you didnt realise, Lotherton Hall has a large number of birds from all over the world...

And a deer park.......

Sorry for the overload of pictures, like I said, not the best quality but I think the important thing to remember is that I had fun taking them! They may not be perfect, they may not be the best - but They're mine and I'm actually quite proud of them and the camera I used to take them (E-510)

Olympus may have disappointed some, but personally I am not about to jump ship as my camera can do more than I can - it still works, the PEN range is very interesting and personally I have an E-5 on my wish list!!

Regards

Neil
Old 1st October 2010

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
Re: Olympus is dead! (My camera stopped working)

Some cracking shots Neill Number 8 stands out for me, is it a crowned crane?

As for your comments, I too use the E510, I could not agree more

Greg
Old 1st October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
Some cracking shots Neill Number 8 stands out for me, is it a crowned crane?

As for your comments, I too use the E510, I could not agree more

Greg
Do you know Greg, I've no idea! It wasnt till I was nearly coming home that I thought it would have been a really good idea to take a snap of the information boards near each bird so I knew exactly what they were!! Doh!!

Neil
Old 1st October 2010
Serhan

No. 8
Old 1st October 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Number 8 for me too. You'll have to go back and find out what it is - it's very photogenic
Old 1st October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK folks, after a bit of digging, I believe number 8 is an African Grey Crowned Crane.

Oh, and he was a real poser!!

Regards

Neil
Old 2nd October 2010

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

I hate doing that Neill. I went to a local wildlife centre and got loads of pics but don't have a clue what most of them are

You always think you will remember....not
Old 2nd October 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregles View Post
I hate doing that Neill. I went to a local wildlife centre and got loads of pics but don't have a clue what most of them are

You always think you will remember....not
I don't even take any notice of what they are - then people always ask and make me feel an idiot when I can't give them an answer
Old 2nd October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Neil,
I think numbers 8 and 10 are cracking close up shots. No 8 is made by the birds expression. No 10 by the colour detail. I really like no 7 as well - the reflection of the bird on the pond surface makes it almost symmetrical. I wonder if you could use some processing to make the bird and reflection stand out more from the background?
As you say though - both with your images posted here and many others in the gallery - the cameras we presently have produce images that will continue to delight and inform for many years yet. Unless some disaster befalls my camera I'm happy with what I've got.
Old 2nd October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post
Neil,
I think numbers 8 and 10 are cracking close up shots. No 8 is made by the birds expression. No 10 by the colour detail. I really like no 7 as well - the reflection of the bird on the pond surface makes it almost symmetrical. I wonder if you could use some processing to make the bird and reflection stand out more from the background?
As you say though - both with your images posted here and many others in the gallery - the cameras we presently have produce images that will continue to delight and inform for many years yet. Unless some disaster befalls my camera I'm happy with what I've got.
Jamie, thanks for the comments. With regards to number 7,my knowledge of Photoshop is a little limited, though it has already been processed quite a bit from the RAW as the original off camera JPEG had no detail in the head and tail due to the metering setting on the white of the body. I cant remember exactly what I did but I had a play with the exposure and the fill light to try and bring some detail back!

I never used to shoot in RAW but I've left my E-510 set to RAW and SHQ. Takes up a huge amount of room on the memory card but means I can try and rescue things later. I do try and get things right first time of course but I tend to forget simple things. Like with the above pictures, it wasnt until I was halfway round the bird park that I realised that I'd left the white balance set to a custom setting from the day before! Sucha simple fix on the RAW file which saved me!

Neil
Old 2nd October 2010

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

No. 4 is an African roller the white bird above is a no.5 little Egret, the one with the long curved beak is an Ibis, no. 2 is the common crane, the flamingo is and looks like an Andian Flamingo although the colours in the image is not quite right dew to WB I think the Hooded crane is the emblem of Uganda I believe.

Dave
Old 2nd October 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill_6mm View Post
I never used to shoot in RAW but I've left my E-510 set to RAW and SHQ. Takes up a huge amount of room on the memory card but means I can try and rescue things later. I do try and get things right first time of course but I tend to forget simple things. Like with the above pictures, it wasnt until I was halfway round the bird park that I realised that I'd left the white balance set to a custom setting from the day before! Sucha simple fix on the RAW file which saved me!

Neil
Neil,
I know how you feel - I was recently looking through images I'd taken on a visit to a Japanese temple with my daughter and her boyfriend. I'd been taking shots inside a cave and forgot to readjust my ISO (800) setting. I then took 20 or so shots in the sunny grounds including some nice images of the happy couple. It was so bright I couldn't really check on the images at the time (I was using my e-410 - no articulated screen). Images are so blown they look like ghosts in some -there was no way I could rescue them.
Thanks again for the images -no 8 really made my wife smile.
Old 2nd October 2010

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

Another for No. 8 but all are good shots thanks for sharing.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 2nd October 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Again another no 8 fan here, well done.

Your totally right about you camera as you have shown it still takes great photos, Olympus is not dead far from it, they maybe taking a change in direction, but thats all. The pen's will take over the likes of the 4xx, 5xx & 6xx. but they will still be making and developing the flag ship models. Its just progress thats all and Olympus have always been leaders where others follow imho

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 3rd October 2010

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

As I commented on no8 being my favourite on the other site and how you could improve it , I'll comment on the last one here.

This is my second favourite as it as a summery serene feel to it that I really like.

It has a lot of potential and if you were to draw attention to the deer by using a couple of adjustment layer masks it would make it a cracking image in my humble opinion.

As a example taken into Elements and adjusted as always it is a matter of taste and you may prefere the original.

Before

After

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/