Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 19th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts
Talking My Camera Has Stopped Working!

It was no use, my camera didn't work any more, it was rubbish, I just couldn't use it, it wouldn't do justice to my photographs. My pride and joy for the past three years was now obsolete, superseded and no longer fit for purpose. You see, I am an Olympus E-3 owner and the replacement E-5 had just been announced. What was worse was the price; there was no way I could afford one.

Tired of me moping around the house even though it was a lovely day my wlfe said, “Go out, Darling, it'll do you good.”
“What's the point?” I whined, “I haven't even got a decent camera.”
“Well, if you'd rather stay and help with the hoovering.......”
My bag was on my shoulder and I was out the door in a flash; maybe the fresh air would do me good, it might clear my head and help me think of a way to get an E-5. I wandered along aimlessly, day dreaming about the hoover. It was a Dyson, actually, but 'hoover' had long been the generic noun and we even use it as a verb. I wondered if the same would ever happen in photography; referring to a camera of any brand as 'the Nikon' or talking about popping out to do a bit of nikography.

My idle thoughts were interrupted by the sight of beautiful reflections on the village pond. If only I had a camera.....of course, I had the E-3 in my bag. Well a good camera, then, something like the E-5. Oh well, I'd just have to make do with what I had. I spent a happy hour engrossed in composing, shooting and exploring every possibility. What a shame it was on an inferior camera, I just knew the results would be awful. If only I had an E-5.

These thoughts haunted me as I walked along the lane, so engrossed in my lament that I almost failed to spot a kingfisher perched perfectly by the side of a stream. My mind cleared, to concentrate exclusively on this opportunity. Slowly I changed lenses, avoiding sudden movements. The 70-300mm would do nicely; thankfully the lenses were still fantastic even if the camera wasn't.

Dark storm clouds filled the sky as I continued along my way, threatening rain at any moment. At least that was something the E-3 could still do well, coping with getting wet. Luckily I had a waterproof jacket because the heavens opened and a deluge of monsoon proportions was unleashed. I left the E-3 hanging round my neck, only replacing the lens cap as a concession to the weather. Suddenly a break in the clouds allowed the sun to flood through, spotlighting a lone tree against the menacing black sky. I was glad to have the camera to hand because the light was fleeting, gone in seconds.

Back at home I downloaded the pictures without enthusiasm, but hey, they were great! “You see,” said my wife, “you don't need an E-5. You'd take great pictures with any camera, even a Canon!”
I carefully wiped the water off the E-3, my E-3, before lovingly packing it away.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th September 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: My Camera Has Stopped Working!

Sounds to me like you lost focus there for a while, then came to your sensors, had a flash of inspiration, recalled from memory, a battery of recollections, and made a resolution to review all the good things that exist is that wonderful body of yours...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 19th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Sounds to me like you lost focus there for a while, then came to your sensors, had a flash of inspiration, recalled from memory, a battery of recollections, and made a resolution to review all the good things that exist is that wonderful body of yours...
Oh, if only my body was as robust, well designed and perfectly formed as the E-3. I'm afraid my camera will outlast me by some distance!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th September 2010

Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts

In my thinking the camera is only as good as the person behind it.

Did you get the Kingfisher picture?
Old 20th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear John,

What an excellent reminder of how easy it is to get carried away with progress making us forget to appreciate what we have. I always get a warm feeling when I take my E-1 out for a trip down memory lane. This normally happens after I have given muttered some unkind words at my E-3 for recording a poor image. Strangely, every time this happens when I examine the shot with a clearer head it always comes down to the failings of the ugly chap who is holding the E-3.

Cheers

Chris
Old 20th September 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

You do make me laugh, John. Very eloquently put I have to say, classic thread this.

Old 20th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh1960 View Post
In my thinking the camera is only as good as the person behind it.

Did you get the Kingfisher picture?
Oh no, this is pure fiction - designed to remind us all (especially me) that it's not absolutely essential to have the latest and greatest kit to enjoy photography, and that just because a particular model has been superceded it doesn't suddenly stop taking good pictures. As you say, it's the photographer that really counts and I, like many others, am apt to lose sight of that on occasions.

Old 20th September 2010

Liked 833 Times in 279 Posts

Put one of these in your pocket John, or bribe the wife with one.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10...enscompact.asp

Regards. Barr1e
Old 20th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post

Regards. Barr1e
Ah, the Olympus answer to the X5! Something else to drool and fret over - it looks neat!

Old 20th September 2010
ndl0071

Nice one John, a timely reminder for all....
Old 20th September 2010
ndl0071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr1e View Post

Regards. Barr1e
Looks nice, more the sort of pocketable cam I originally thought the Pen was going to be, now how on earth am I going to afford one of these as well as an E5

Thanks for the heads up Barr1e