Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th July 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,535 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,715 Times in 774 Posts
Re: Am I Welcome? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
In that case maybe you should revisit the forum blurb at the top of every E-system forum page - "Join our unique online resource for Olympus E-System photographers" as it's hardly welcoming for users of other systems.
I can well understand the concern that this is a resource for E-System users. But that doesn't mean this is a ring-fenced site that judiciously excludes those that don't happen to use an E-System camera. The one thing I hope we all have in common is a shared love of photography. Chillimonster is very experienced with E-System gear, and for this reason alone I strongly believe he should be welcomed here.

If, on the other hand, anyone, no matter what they use, joins to make trouble, they will be banned before they know it. I really don't see that this is such a case.

So I respect everyone's tight interpretation of the raison d'etre of this site, but I don't, and never have, wished its membership to be tightly restricted. As long as a member can be a worthy contributor, he or she is welcome.

In any case, you never know, Chillimonster might change back (again!) to Olympus as a result of his experiences here.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What happend to this being a friendly forum?........
Old 15th July 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-3 View Post
Hi James

I think it is simply different opinions on what the forum is for, James.

I felt that some of the responses - though not explicitly saying this - were though, suggesting that Chris wasn't welcome on here simply because he doesn't use Oly kit. That's what I found unwelcoming, unfriendly, and somewhat not like what we've become to expect of users on the e-system forum.

We are a friendly bunch, and welcome all users.

I really am not sure what all the fuss was about.

Old 15th July 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
As an ex Olypus e-system user I find that I tend to lurk rather contribute here now. It is an excellent forum but the rules for the competitions do specify e-system camera and/or lens and I tend to post things on 4/3 or DPNow.

I know it has been said often before and there are reasons why it is not done but in view of the overlap and amount of cross posting I think it would be a good thing if this forum could merge with 4/3.
I set up this site with the primary object of providing a community that would be of help to Olympus E-System users, and to help Olympus to have a focus on what their customers felt and thought about. But I did not ever envisage excluding anyone simply because they didn't own an E-System camera. In fact I hoped that the collective experiences of members here would attract users who had never used an Olympus camera before, or even to welcome back previous E-System users who had switched to other brands and then been tempted back.

Naturally, when it comes to competitions and promotions, we focus on Olympus users, but I think it's actually very healthy to have a proportion of enthusiastic members who don't happen to conform to the basic expectations of a typical Olympus user here.

Are we going to question the discussion of Sigma lenses, or non-Olympus legacy lenses, and what about Panasonic users who have Olympus lenses?

Fundamentally, yes, I'm always on the look out for 'undesirable' members - but to me these are spammers, trolls and other trouble makers who deliberately join forums to either spoil the experiences of others by hawking wares or winding everyone up. I believe we have successfully established a stable and very civil site through this strategy.

In a way, this discussion is a very positive one as clearly we are all passionate about the site

I understand and respect everyones' points of views and clearly some clarification has been sought and I hope that I have provided it.

Ian

Old 15th July 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-3 View Post
It IS a friendly forum. It's perfectly healthy for a bit of passionate discussion from time to time. Every one here, without exception, has made points in good faith. There has been some disagreement and sensitivity about the tone in some posts, but at the end of the day I see that we are all passionate about one thing, the continued success of this site, and I take a lot of comfort from that.

Ian

Old 15th July 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree with Ian. The page headers and competition rules heavily lean this site to Olympus E-series users but I really don't think we should be exclusive. Apart from the odd instance of joining simply to sell equipment (which personally I do think needs to be continuously moderated) I'd welcome anyone with advice, tips or even more general views such as those recently expressed regarding police stop and search issues. I've already garnered much in the way of tips and advice during my time in this forum. I've a couple of friends who have Nikon and Canon equipment and I really don't see any difference or barriers between us other than where the buttons are. What I do see however is that this site is an extremely friendly one in comparison to many others I've looked at and that has given me a confidence to post images and ask for comments - something I'd be less likely to do elsewhere. So I'd say welcome.

Last edited by jamie allan; 15th July 2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 15th July 2010

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Well Chris...
you have set a civilised but robust debate on this group...
So I hope you are still going to post here
Old 15th July 2010
pepper

I'm one of the above Panasonic owning E system users!

I tend to lurk more than post as I don't want to offend anyone.

I had an E-500 but when my Father passed away I inherited his DMC-L1, whihc is a better camera in some ways, so I tend to use that and gave my daughter my E-500.

I'm glad to see we're welcome though.
Old 15th July 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,583 Times in 912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
I'm one of the above Panasonic owning E system users!

I tend to lurk more than post as I don't want to offend anyone.

I had an E-500 but when my Father passed away I inherited his DMC-L1, whihc is a better camera in some ways, so I tend to use that and gave my daughter my E-500.

I'm glad to see we're welcome though.
Your daughter most certianly is

SO: Who takes the better pictures

Post one of each (Anon.) and we will decide

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 15th July 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

One point which I think we have overlooked so far in this discussion is that this site also acts as a shop window for Olympus. It's all very well us being a cosy club of existing owners but that policy is hardly likely to increase the Olympus market share. Surely better to welcome a few users of other marques so we can show them just how good our cameras and lenses are. I genuinely feel that many users of budget/mid range Canikons would be pleasantly surprised/shocked to discover what Olympus can offer and may well wonder why they were shepherded into the brand they are using by the media/retailers.

Much as I like the way things are I'd like to see this forum provide a more pro-active and educational role in promoting Olympus cameras, dispelling myths and introducing the brand to a new audience.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th July 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

That can only be good for us all in the long run. More Olympus sales = more development of new products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Much as I like the way things are I'd like to see this forum provide a more pro-active and educational role in promoting Olympus cameras, dispelling myths and introducing the brand to a new audience.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 16th July 2010
Chillimonster

Thanks all for the interesting discussion - it certainly raised quite a few valid points.

However i think that the lines between e-system and 4/3rds (& MFT) is blurring to such an extent that there will obviously be a huge amount of crossover between the formats and brands.

As for coming back to Oly - it may happen one day, depending on what transpires with my shooting style, but for now, for me the GF1 (and as of today the G1) is where its at as i want to put family before photography and dont want the weight of a full DSLR kit. The G1 is sublime when used with legacy glass - some of it Olympus! - and the EVF with the magnify option helps with focusing no end.

However to appease those that questioned my original post i will still be using my E-system reflector that i got free with my first E-camera (E-520) so i suppose that means i can carry on posting

Chris
Old 16th July 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Good man!

As you rightly state, m4/3, with its EVF, could be purposely built for legacy glass, and there's little better than Olympus.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 16th July 2010
Chillimonster

And can i just add that the discussion has been very ..... 'mature'. More than could be said if a similar question was asked elsewhere
Old 16th July 2010

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillimonster View Post
... i will still be using my E-system reflector that i got free with my first E-camera (E-520) so i suppose that means i can carry on posting ...
Yeah, IF every single shot has a bit of that reflected glory. you could cut a snip off it and glue it to the front of your lumix so everything will be bathed in the light ...
hmm, I'd like a reflector too ... do Leica make 'em?