Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fireworks

The best from my first attempt at photographing fireworks with an SLR.
The E-510 did a good job of metering - but having read howTos on the web afterwards, it seems I should have used manual mode...
My excuse - I was too busy playing with the 7-14mm lens and its completely different view on life.

Last edited by Ian; 10th November 2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Make thumbnail full size picture
Old 10th November 2007
Magnumaniac

Re: fireworks

Playing with such a nice new toy as the 7-14mm is a perfectly good excuse IMO

Here's a few I got - again first attempt at shooting such a subject:

Used an old OM fit Zeiss 35-70mm lens with a cheap eBay adaptor to the E-510. Full manual mode, focused at infinity (which is actually about 1mm short of the physical end-stop on the lens), f3.5 and 1 second exposure for the firework shots IIRC.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 10th November 2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Changing thumbnails in to full size images
Old 11th November 2007
PeterD

Well done. Some really good atmospheric images.

PeterD
Old 11th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, well done both. Wish I'd taken my camera to the fireworks now. Don't think the IS on the E510 could have coped though - I was a bit tipsy!
Old 11th November 2007
PeterD

Talking Re: fireworks

It would have been a good test though!

Please, I am not encouraging you to ty it!

LOL

PeterD
Old 11th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Magnumaniac - love your shots.

Did you use a tripod or hand hold with IS?
I'm too lazy to drag a tripod around...
Old 11th November 2007
Magnumaniac

Thanks, used a tripod with a remote release cable - my hands aren't that steady to cope with a 1 sec exposure, even with the E-510's IS

It's a very lightweight cheap tripod that I got as a freebie about 5 years ago - ideal when the camera / lens combo is less than 1.5Kg, but not much use above that. I just pointed it in the general direction, set focus to infinity and clicked away with the remote release when it felt like a good time to do so

Ian.