Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th December 2010
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Stuck on the m73

Hi All,

Yup I got home this morning just before 7am, almost 15 hours on the road to travel 18 miles, was mental!

One thing I am disgusted at is the Emergency services or more specifically. We were stuck for about 12/13 hours before we saw any police at all. Reports on then news and bbc sites said the police were making sure all of us on the M73/A80 were okay, well I didn't see any and my 3 work collegues 2 hours up the road didn't see any either, totally shocking display.

A MASSIVE THANKS must go to Asda. I was choking for a drink after supidly not packing the car with water and snacks. I got a welcome knock on my window at 3am by a bloke for Asda giving out water, fruit and biscuits. That man needs a star!!

There was one point after being stuck for about 13 hours in the dark there was a truck that had parked up next to me full of cattle (cows/bulls I think) and they were going mad from the sound of it trying to ram to the truck to get out, the noises they were making aswell was for an animal lover truely horrific.

had to turn the radio up to mask to noises as it was really started to upset me, as soft as that sounds however you have to remember I'd been sat in my car for 13 hours, in the dark, not knowing what the score was, no police, getting cold and running the engine every so often (I was low on fuel which was adding to the stress) to heat up.

Thanks for the replies to my thread, I kinda needed to post sommat on here as well as regular FB updates to keep me sane lol.

Thanks again
Garrie
Old 7th December 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Wow what a story, im glad to hear your now ok.

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
The Following User Says Thank You to stevednp3 For This Useful Post:
Garrie (7th December 2010)
Old 7th December 2010

Liked 324 Times in 133 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
OMG

One question in my mind every time I see the pictures on the TV is why isn't it a legal requirement to have snow chains in the UK. We see so many pictures of sliding cars and lorries, and it just takes one to block a road (after which they aren't of use admittedly). I have to admit on only bought them again after problems last year, but there is often a lane free when you see the pictures of roads

Regards
Andy
I have a Forester and it did very well in the snow last year, both on and off road. Nevertheless I bought a set of winter tyres last week and have been much impressed. Braking on ice is surprisingly good and steep hills with sharp bends that caused anxious moments last winter are now a doddle.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 7th December 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Garrie,
I read your post this morning - I'm glad your safe and well. I couldn't imagine been stuck that long in those temperatures. It was -12C local to me in the west end of Glasgow last night. I'd packed in work at noon yesterday as I could see the constant snowfall causing problems on the M8. I made pretty good time until the last 3km - that took 2 hours. My car is now behind a half metre high wall of hard snow after the road was ploughed. My wife had to abandon her car and walk 10km from Milngavie. I'm thinking of investing in snow chains.
Old 7th December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
Hi All,

Yup I got home this morning just before 7am, almost 15 hours on the road to travel 18 miles, was mental!

One thing I am disgusted at is the Emergency services or more specifically. We were stuck for about 12/13 hours before we saw any police at all. Reports on then news and bbc sites said the police were making sure all of us on the M73/A80 were okay, well I didn't see any and my 3 work collegues 2 hours up the road didn't see any either, totally shocking display.

A MASSIVE THANKS must go to Asda. I was choking for a drink after supidly not packing the car with water and snacks. I got a welcome knock on my window at 3am by a bloke for Asda giving out water, fruit and biscuits. That man needs a star!!

There was one point after being stuck for about 13 hours in the dark there was a truck that had parked up next to me full of cattle (cows/bulls I think) and they were going mad from the sound of it trying to ram to the truck to get out, the noises they were making aswell was for an animal lover truely horrific.

had to turn the radio up to mask to noises as it was really started to upset me, as soft as that sounds however you have to remember I'd been sat in my car for 13 hours, in the dark, not knowing what the score was, no police, getting cold and running the engine every so often (I was low on fuel which was adding to the stress) to heat up.

Thanks for the replies to my thread, I kinda needed to post sommat on here as well as regular FB updates to keep me sane lol.

Thanks again
Garrie
Garrie, glad you eventually made it home safely, what a horrific experience! Shame you didn't have your camera, you could have taken a picture of a bridge or something and almost be guaranteed to be surrounded by the anti-terrorist squad within minutes. Could have refused a Stop and Search and been carted off to a nice warm cell for the night!

Anyway, glad you're O.K.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 7th December 2010
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

managed a few shots on my iPhone.

Started a nice night..

then got worse

and worse

Old 7th December 2010

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts

Glad you got home.
Good photos. no3 catches it.
At least you had Radio 4.

Duncan
Old 7th December 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Thank goodness for camera-phones, these shots certainly show the severity of the conditions. I notice your heater was turned up as high as it would go!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
After following your facebook updates I'm so pleased/relieved you got home in one piece, it's a ghastly thing to happen.

You aren't the only one of my 'friends' to have been caught out by the weather/road conditions, although your experience is by far the worst.
Garrie (8th December 2010)
Old 11th December 2010
Administrator

Liked 507 Times in 281 Posts

looks like the minister didn't want to be responsible for the logs on the motorway sides ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11976328

regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/