Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 16th September 2016

Liked 3,241 Times in 1,747 Posts
The Chimenea: Montezuma's Revenge!

For several years we had wondered if one of those pot-bellied patio accessories was for us. At about this time last year, we took advantage of end-of-season discount at our local garden centre and purchased one of the larger, black metallic ones. Most importantly, it had a shelf for BBQ use.

I can't remember whether we tried it out last year but we have used it three times this summer.

The first time, I was a little too generous with the charcoal fuel, making the fire too hot. The kebabs were rather black and crisp but edible.

The second time, the weather had been a bit iffy and, as I bent down to light it, the first drops of rain fell. The rain continued throughout the cooking but was just a nuisance, making my clothes damp.

The third time was yesterday evening. It had been a hot sunny day, with thin cloud moderating the sunshine towards the end of the afternoon. My wife had warned me that heavy rain and thunder showers were likely from about 6pm. So I chose to start at 5.20pm.

No kidding, as I struck the match there was a roll of distant thunder, the first of many to come. By the time I needed to turn over the embers it was raining quite hard. Having done so, as I stepped into the back doorway there was a dazzling pink flash and an instantaneous explosion. Missed me, but not by much!

Loading the kebabs, turning them, over, and eventually unloading them, was all done in heavy rain and numerous nearby flashes of lightning. Fortunately, the meat was well cooked but my waterproof jacket was dripping for some time afterwards.

The rain and thunder continued, intermitently, for more than 12 hours. As I was shaving, this morning, there was the most brilliant pink lightning flash of all and a deafening explosion of thunder, which woke the whole household*. Missed me again!

There is clearly an escalation factor here, so next time will be on a very clear day!

* Update: That struck a house about half a mile from here. The Fire Service attended. "It destroyed some of the roof and took out all the electrics. We covered up the hole with sheets to protect the house from the weather.”

Harold
OM USer (16th September 2016)
Old 16th September 2016

Liked 893 Times in 407 Posts
Re: The Chimenea: Montezuma's Revenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
My wife had warned me that heavy rain and thunder showers were likely from about 6pm. So I chose to start at 5.20pm.
Harold
I had imagined 'Montezuma's Revenge' would be about the dramatic effects of food poisoning rather than you trying to become the 'King Canute' of the rain waves.

But then I'd rather read about you dodging the lightning strikes! than the other thing...!

NB - maybe next time take a large metal-framed golfing umbrella with you!

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 16th September 2016

Liked 3,241 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
NB - maybe next time take a large metal-framed golfing umbrella with you!
I have one of those and very briefly considered using it.

Harold
Old 16th September 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Harold, next time you intend to light that thing can you please give us 24 hours notice!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th September 2016

Liked 2,311 Times in 1,523 Posts

It is said that Benjamin Franklin, the inventor of the lightning conductor, demonstrated his theories by sending a kite up into a thundercloud attached to a string with a fine metal wire wound into it. The string and wire were secured to the ground with a wooden peg. The string was connected to a metal key which was suspended above the ground, so that sparks would be seen if lightning were to strike. The key and wooden peg were housed inside a tent, as Franklin thought it would be easier to see any sparks in the dark.

Civic dignitaries were rounded and taken to the tent when a storm was imminent. However, the faint spark that Franklin was expecting was more like a small explosion, which proved his theory, but injured several of the dignitaries and also set his tent on fire!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (17th September 2016)
Old 17th September 2016

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Probably be a good idea to fit a lightning conductor to the thing connected to garden lights, thus saving on fuel as the power cooks your food and also provides light to eat it by
Old 18th September 2016

Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

There's an old golfing joke which says that if you're caught on the course in a thunder storm you should take out your 1 iron and hold it in the air because even God can't hit a 1 iron.
Old 18th September 2016

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Friend of mine was done dead standing under a big tree struck by lightening on a golf course.............ruined his balls Never been to the East End