Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 11th March 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Olympus E-1 - WOW!

I am in the hobby of photography for over 40 years by now. Along the years there were some camera that I felt attached to - both from technical quality point of view and both from quality of images.
Some years ago I made the switch to the digital world starting with point and shoot, then came the Canon G5 and about half a year ago I bought the E-520 plus 2 kit lenses. Later on I bought the 14-54mm lens and I am very pleased.
Some years back, when the E-1 came out to market I've told one of my friends that "that's it - this is a milestone in photography" - but who could afford it at that time?
Well, I did not give up. Some days ago I bought a second hand E-1 in Ebay.
This weekend I've started to use it.
WWWOOOWWW! - what a GREAT cmaera!
The body is built like a tank! It feels so right in your hands.
And then I went to friends birthday and a walk in the near by forest. I took both Jpegs and RAW. I am using Photoshop Elements 6 and ACR - the results are so much different from anything else, even from the E-520. The images are with fantastic colors and a unique "touch" - they almost look like painting - remineds me of best quality "good old days" prints from negative films.
I am still in a learning process - nainly RAW development.
All in all I am so happy!
It would be nice to have your comments and to hear from your experience about the best software for the E-1 Raw files.
Old 11th March 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Olympus E-1 - WOW!

Welcome! I know what you mean about the E-1 as I owned one briefly until I got my E-3.
As to RAW processing software - well, you'll find everyone has their own favourites. The best advice I can give is to ignore everyones advice! Download trial versions of them all and see which YOU prefer - it's the only way!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 11th March 2009
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I said the same thing about my E1 when I got it a few months back. I does feel so right in your hand and I love the colours and tones from it

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3884
Old 11th March 2009

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have been using the E-1 for a few years now. I purchased it new when the price fell to below £600 with a kit lens. I have very few complaints with it, so much so that I still see very little need to purchase a more updated E-System model.

It's out of camera jpegs are incredible, as is the build quality of the body. I keep looking at later models, but have yet to convince myself that I will benefit from upgrading. Enjoy!

Cheers, Steve.
Old 11th March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can still download a copy of Raw Shooter essentials, which was the for runner of adobe lightroom from CNET downloads, it will not register but it will keep working correctly and it is a very programe. I am happy that you like the E1 I would not be without mine, shooting RAW and saving in TIFF from Photoshop will give you good quality images, I don't save in JPEG because so much information is lost and a TIFF file can save layer detail as well.

Happy shooting

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma) |Tamron 135mm f/2.5 Macro 200mm f/3.5 | Optecka 800mm f/8 Prime | Wallimax 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens | Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 O Digital Flash | Manfrotto 055XB Tripod, Opticron Carbon Fibre "Traveller" Tripod, Sidewinder Gimbal Head, Manfratto 676B monopod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Head Lowpro Nature Trekker AWII, Lowpro Vertex 100 AW and Lowpro Toploader Pro 75 AW.
Old 11th March 2009
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Norman View Post
You can still download a copy of Raw Shooter essentials, which was the for runner of adobe lightroom from CNET downloads, it will not register but it will keep working correctly and it is a very programe. I am happy that you like the E1 I would not be without mine, shooting RAW and saving in TIFF from Photoshop will give you good quality images, I don't save in JPEG because so much information is lost and a TIFF file can save layer detail as well.

Happy shooting
I find I get great quality images from out of the camera jpg
Old 11th March 2009
scanny

Your in for a treat if you partner it up with the 50-200 and the power grip, it feels well balanced and sits in the hand so well, an excellent combination for all occasionas and weather
Old 6th May 2009
7tenths

Have to agree, E-1 ergonomics are GREAT....if only they (Olympus) could 'shoe-horn' an E-3's insides into the E-1 body....

Last edited by 7tenths; 7th May 2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 7th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My signature says it all!
Old 7th May 2009

Liked 127 Times in 69 Posts

I love my E-1, even though it gets little use these day as my E-3 is my main camera now. I bought the E-1 very shortly after it came out and it cost me £1800 (with the 14-54mm lens), Digital Depot threw in a free 1GB Microdrive CF card which cost £105 at the time The build quality is superb and is better than the E-3 and it does deliver superb photos. I would never sell it and I recon it will become a collectors classic in years to come. Well worth the price you pay on Ebay.

My E-1 will be getting resurrected this summer on my trip to the Red Sea, E-3 for underwater and E-1 for top shots.

Steve
Old 12th June 2009
stevemerrick

Hi all,

I really like the E1, It is tough as nails and wait till its raining,One of mine has fallen in a flooded road, dropped off a bike and walloped at the g20, Superb, if like me you dont go much bigger than A4 then its a super tool, and work wise it is flexible and cheap as chips, AHHHHH heaven. I would argue for and against the Hld2 grip(or is that hdl2) but either way its great.

On the software front I run all the images through the photostudio 2 then (if needed) through photoshop. Its a bit of a drag but the results are worth it.

Wish you luck with your new friend and a happy time shooting.

Steve ;-)
Old 12th June 2009
stevemerrick

Re: Olympus E-1 - WOW! Re;raw jpegs and tiffs

I tend to shoot in jpeg mode unless the pics are a feature or high end mag, but the jpegs are punchy and great from the e1, however the tiff tip, is right if there a multiple layers, but I personally just save it twice, ( Probably because of paranoia) having said that the tiff file have only scored once whereas jpegs like negs seem to be forever..