Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 2nd September 2014

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Is anyone a secret Nikon V1 mk2 birder?

Joining this conversation a bit late, but I made this jump as an experiment over a year ago when I bought a highly discounted V1 twin lens kit because everything I read said that it had capable CAF and I and the 75-300 were going through a bad patch.

It surprised me with how capable it was, even with the known limitations of sensor size and controls. In fact I replaced it with a V2 earlier this year, which is a far better camera for an enthusiast and passed the V1 on to my wife (until she dropped into the sea - perhaps because she preferred the Oly colours from her E-P1!).

The V2 really needs the 70-300 for birding and I have had one on order since May and am still waiting (I know Jessops has them on line, but I am trying to support my local camera shop).

Nikon 1 cameras make a very acceptable travel kit. The 6.7-13 is an excellent UWA lens.

No question that the OM-D is the better camera for most things. For BIF I wonder how much it is being held back by the existing lenses? However, the V2 easily falls into the good enough category. It's all a question of what compromises you are prepared to make.

Andrew
Old 2nd September 2014

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Thanks Andrew, as I don't have a local camera shop any more I have just got my 70-300 from Jessops today and had a quick walk around our local salt marsh to have a play

It meets my objective for a long and light system for birding, 800mm hand-held and with the focus limiter on its very fast to focus and lock on

I reckon it needs at least 1/1600th sec at 800mm to get birds in flight really sharp but what I have got in my first quick and dirty testing looks very encouraging

A potentially nice Cormorant shot spoilt by shake using 1/1000th sec at 800mm effective FOV

Cormorant flight 800mm 1-1000sec - shake by BrianWadie, on Flickr

A surprisingly good shot of a Lapwing landing at "800mm " with only 1/400th sec (bit it was more or less static at this point

lapwing landing by BrianWadie, on Flickr

and a static juvenile Greenfinch at 1/800th sec, another at "800"mm

greenfinch juvenile 800mm 1-800th by BrianWadie, on Flickr

all hand-held
Old 2nd September 2014

Brian

I agree that it looks very promising - at least in half decent light. I am grimly trying to support the little local guy, but over 3 months is a long time to wait for a lens that has benn released (I pre-ordered it in May).

The metering on the Nikons is excellent as well

Looking forward to seeing your 70-300 samples.

Andrew
Old 2nd September 2014

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

While I also like to support my favourite camera shop (Park Cameras in this case), there are strong rumours that Nikon is limiting the availability of the V3 and the 70-300CX to Wex and Jessops (who both claimed to have stock the last time I looked).
Old 2nd September 2014

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Those are rather good Brian! You could end up converting us all!
Old 2nd September 2014

I don't want to do that Marcia - I'm keeping my EM-1 for everything except birding and air shows so I will need someone here to chat with
Old 2nd September 2014

Brian

The second and third photos show the quality of this lens. Much better than the 30-110.

My wee shop has good folk in it. I hope they are not being given the run around by Nikon.

Andrew
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (2nd September 2014)
Old 3rd September 2014
Alpha1

I agree that Brian's posts with images are very encouraging indeed. However being an optimist, I will wait just a few weeks more for the Photokina announcements, just in case that 300mm F4 mZuiko prime is launched with a 1.4 mTC!!
Old 3rd September 2014

I'm with Dave on this, were it not for the effect that using the longer lenses is having on my joints I wouldn't be going down this path but eagerly anticipating the purchase of the 40-150 f2.8 and the 300 f4, both of which I am sure are going to be stellar

I will end my contributions to this thread now as it has helped my make my decision regarding this purchase and doesn't really fit into the core purpose, which is discussion of all things EM-1

Thank you all for your input
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd September 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I think the key element to take from this thread is that there is the availability of a lightweight set up to capture BIFs using CAF without having to go down the DSLR route. Many thanks Brian for starting and progressing an informative and entertaining thread.

David
Alpha1 (3rd September 2014)
Old 3rd September 2014

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

On a question of clarification, from what I've read elsewhere doesn't the Nikon 1 range use phase detect sensors (ie PDAF not CAF)?

Sid
Old 3rd September 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of sid View Post
On a question of clarification, from what I've read elsewhere doesn't the Nikon 1 range use phase detect sensors (ie PDAF not CAF)?

Sid
By CAF I was referring to continuous auto focus not contrast detect auto focus (CDAF)

David
Old 4th September 2014

Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
I can sometimes get good results with CAF Phil (but never with tracking enabled) so my standard method of shooting fast moving action is to use SAF and track the subject by repeated half press of the shutter button whilst keeping the focus point(s) on the subject I want in focus, then firing a short sequential burst at 10fps to bracket "the moment" (usually a 3 shot burst)

It works so well this way that I have given up trying to get CAF to work for my style of sport / action shooting
I have had reasonable success using C-AF for roadracing motorcycles coming towards me, though each series will have several misses, then catch up again. But not with Tracking option set.
Tracking has worked well where the subject is being panned ie relatively constant distance from the camera (see below). I found a spot inside a corner where I could track the bikes coming into the corner, and follow them right around to the exit. Worked really well then.
Cheers,
Don

Alpha1 (4th September 2014)