Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 2nd December 2013

Liked 3,079 Times in 881 Posts
Keeping a record of your custom settings

With all the talk of people having to reset their cameras after a lock up (although hopefully the firmware has reduced the likelihood of this now) I didn't relish the prospect of trying to remember all the custom settings which I have applied over the past weeks. I was trying to work out the easiest way to keep a record of them when I discovered some useful pages in the Manual.

Pages 142-147 contain a section entitled 'Menu directory'. This lists the various menu functions along with their default values. I printed these pages out and can now work through the menus, noting down my custom changes in the right hand margin. Hopefully, if I now have to do a reset I can refer to these pages to return the camera to its previous state, without having to remember all the changes. I will have to be careful to note down any further changes in the future but, hopefully, it should be easier than starting from scratch again.

Ron
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (2nd December 2013), Chevvyf1 (2nd December 2013), Dave in Wales (5th December 2013), Peter_Hartland (2nd December 2013), Wee man (3rd December 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Dave in Wales (5th December 2013), Wee man (3rd December 2013)
Old 2nd December 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Keeping a record of your custom settings

Good advice Ron
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd December 2013

Liked 537 Times in 375 Posts

For years now there has been a useabiliy requirement on Olympus to provide the ability to dump the settings to a file saved on the memory card so that the data can be restored to the camera after an update etc. Even if the firmware update changed the format of the fields, then the data would still be able to be downloaded into a CSV file and hence into a spread sheet so that one can have a starting point to rebuild the camera.

It would also save the a huge amount of time for Oly employees as they test and rebuild the cameras both during development and also for on going sales support ie setting up cameras to get different results.
Graham_of_Rainham (2nd December 2013), Olybirder (2nd December 2013)
Old 2nd December 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,581 Times in 911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
For years now there has been a useabiliy requirement on Olympus to provide the ability to dump the settings to a file saved on the memory card so that the data can be restored to the camera after an update etc. Even if the firmware update changed the format of the fields, then the data would still be able to be downloaded into a CSV file and hence into a spread sheet so that one can have a starting point to rebuild the camera.

It would also save the a huge amount of time for Oly employees as they test and rebuild the cameras both during development and also for on going sales support ie setting up cameras to get different results.
100% Agreement. It would be of Very Real Value if we could have a card with "MyMode" settings stored on it for whatever usage we want to make of our kit. I've written to Olympus Tech Support with this suggestion and received a positive reply, but still they don't do it.

Please, please, please; provide this function. Especially if the file could be edited off line in Olympus Software or a simple TXT editor.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Peter_Hartland (2nd December 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Wee man (3rd December 2013)
Old 3rd December 2013

Liked 3,079 Times in 881 Posts

I have prepared a pdf file of the relevant pages from the Manual, with the copy moved to the left to give a wider right hand margin and have inserted an extra column for your custom settings. If anybody would like a copy please PM me your email address and I will mail you a copy. It is A4 size and a 612KB file.

I went through my settings last night, just noting down anything which was not the default value and it didn't take that long. It is nice to have something to refer to.

Ron
Old 3rd December 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I know I said I would knock something together, but I've not got round to it, and your solution seems a lot more elegant. In fact, I only "discovered" those pages a few days ago myself, so I shall adopt your excellent idea, when I get around to it!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (3rd December 2013)
Old 4th December 2013

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for pointing out the pages.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the camera at the moment, having moved from a late 80's SLR, so a menu option to dump settings to a card would be very helpful (went through this last year when I skipped several generations of phone moving from an old phone-only nokia to the delights of android).

Daft thing is I wouldn't be surprised if Olympus already have this functionality somewhere. I would imagine the first thing Oly tech do on receiving a "broken" camera is plug a USB cable into it and run a diagnostic.

If they do perhaps they could supply a cut down software utility to at least allow camera settings to be pulled to a PC or Mac. And ditto, if you could push your settings back to the camera after a reset, great.

It'd also provide tech support another avenue to explore before the drastic step of requesting a camera be returned to base.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 4th December 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,581 Times in 911 Posts

I wonder if there would be any interest in a database of people's settings, so that other people could try out settings for specific effects or types of shooting.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
Wee man (5th December 2013)