Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd May 2011
Administrator

Liked 507 Times in 281 Posts
Re: Camera Horror stories

Me again ( I can't belive the people who have been so careful all their lives)

On Holiday in Ireland

In a rush I dropped my camera on the back seat instead of the camerabag. All was OK until we get to the next stop and as I grab my coat, guess what goes flying and lands lens down on a rock

Scratch the 28-80 I was using (more of a tinkle of broken glass) and I go into a grump

So the next day we head to the local town Ennis and I see a 35-70 in a shop (wilson's) , but nothing wider so after a brief discussion about how I was unlikely to find any better as photogrpahy wasn't much of a popular hobby in that area, we head off to Limerick the nearest large town and as suggested I find even less for sale.

When we get back the shop has closed and it's Saturday so no wide angle lens for another day then (grump again)

Back into Wilson's Monday morning and whilst he finds a box he suggests I take a look in the back room which is wall to wall with silver leica's - apparently he was well known as a collector and people came from all over to see this collection

Re comments to me he said "I could see you were upset, but it was better for you to know this was all you could get rather than me trying to persuade you, and you being unhappy with me"

Not a bad approach in many ways

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Last edited by shenstone; 24th May 2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 23rd May 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Back in '81 decided to scree run down Ben Nevis rather than use the zig-zags. OM2 with a Vivitar series 1 70-210 in a CCS pouch...couple of times had to sit down quickly ...by the time I got to the bottom the camera wouldn't wind on...the shutter blinds had jumped out of their guides...
Couple of years later going from Grasmere to Borrowdale...not so much walking but swimming through the rain...the same OM2 in a differnt CCS pouch...by the time we got to Honister everything was full of water...dried out the camera and used for several years until it wouldn't wind on...must be the shutter blinds again...no...the mechanics had rusted up! repaired again until to be honest digital killed it...now sitting on a shelf...
BTW... I am still looking for a CCS backpackers workbench...
Old 24th May 2011

Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

Over twenty years ago we were on holiday in Coombe Martin Devon and decided one day to drive along the coast to Woolacombe where my wife had spent her childhood holidays. Upon arriving my wife took the kids off for a walk leaving me free to take photographs. At the time I was using two Mamiya C330fs with a few lenses, I was a wedding photographer at the time. I decided to paddle out and shoot the views from the sea. After a time I stowed my gear back in my Billingham bag and headed for the beach. I had only gone a few yards when I caught my foot in some underwater rocks and fell headlong into the water, soaking me and my camera bag. I jumped up quickly and hobbled to the beach more concerned about my cameras than myself. My resulting injuries were three broken toes, my big toenail ripped off and a badly gashed shin. My cameras? They were fine, a testament to Billingham bags I think. My only losses were a few rolls of film in the outer pockets. As I hobbled up the beach pouring blood not one member of the great british public who could see the state I was in offered any help. The next day I bought a walking stick and carried on. I even drove 200 miles home on the Saturday using just my heel to operate the acceleator and footbrake. Morale: always buy the best, it pays in the long run. I did finish up with six weeks on the club so that was a bonus, regards Ian W.
Old 25th May 2011

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

I try to carry my camera everywhere I go, usually leaving it in the car when I go shopping.
This morning I had to go and buy something and looked round for my camera bag, nowhere to be seen.
Thinking, when was the last time I had it, ARGH! on my allotment yesterday morning.
Ran to the loty to find it just where I had left it, dry and OK.
It only had my E5 + 12-60mm lens + a few CF cards in it.
As I ran to the plot I was franticly thinking of how I could excuses my stupidity when I had to admit to what I had done.
But now I can keep my mouth shut, my other half doesn't read these posts.
(But one of our club members does, keep is quiet please).