Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Cleaning lens/body contacts

My camera/lenses have developed an intermittent problem - the camera and lenses don't always want to communicate with each other, resulting in the lens(es) either freezing (doing nothing at all) or failing to focus properly even though there is a focus-confirm beep. It doesn't happen all the time so it suggests there may be dirty or sticking contacts.

I noticed something wrong after I bought a new-to-me lens - everything it took was out of focus, so I thought it was a bad lens and almost gave it back but I decided to wait until after going to Langstone on Friday. While we were there my E-30 /70-300mm froze a couple of times so I swapped to my 35mm macro to see if it made any difference ... and ended up with a few out of focus images! (Worse than could be attributed to slow shutter speed) This seemed to suggest a problem with the camera body ... but the 70-300mm also froze on Peter's E-3.

The other thing that happened on my E-30 was that the display stopped working properly, instead of the f number there was - - (two orange dashes).

Both the freezing and display problems resolved on rebooting the camera (which is when I remembered/realised it had happened before, last year, just before the warranty ran out!).

I did manage to take a few in focus pictures using both the E-3 and E-30 - so it isn't a permanent problem. The new lens/E-30 combination also managed to get some acceptable high ISO pictures of pansies in very poor light (it was getting dark).

I've so far only gently wiped the body contacts and also very gently depressed/released the pins using a lens cloth - haven't had the chance to see if it's improved the situation yet. But if it hasn't I don't know what else I could do.

The only other thing I have is lens cleaning wipes - the things that come in little packets. Can I use those on the contacts to degrease/demuck them, or are they too harsh? If so, what should I use and where could I get it from without it turning into an expedition? (The nearest camera shop is about 20 miles away.)

Sorry about the essay, but I thought it best to say everything I could think of in one go rather than trying to answer questions later.