Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 1st February 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Portrait 1

I would like an opinion of this portrait, please.
It was shot using my studio lighting etc, and converted to mono and cropped.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Re: Portrait 1

Classic portrait composition

http://www.ski.org/CWTyler_lab/CWTyl...eCentering.pdf

Vs

Fibonacci composition

http://digital-photography-school.co...s-on-steroids/

The argument has raged from the dawn of "Art", but what really counts is your own opinion. I produce images that I like and if others appreciate them, that's a bonus.

However the crop of the RHS of the image so close to the side of the head, for me spoils the end result. Just a little bit of of a gap would have removed the distraction of the crop and given the subject more presence in the frame.

Rendering the person and the attitude, emotion or personality is always important in portraiture, so without being given the "story" behind the image, we are let to make up our own "meaning" that the image conveys.

The use of clear space is often used for editorial style compositions, allowing for the insert of words or inset pictures.

Can you tell us more about your ideas for this picture ?

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Classic portrait composition

http://www.ski.org/CWTyler_lab/CWTyl...eCentering.pdf

Vs

Fibonacci composition

http://digital-photography-school.co...s-on-steroids/

The argument has raged from the dawn of "Art", but what really counts is your own opinion. I produce images that I like and if others appreciate them, that's a bonus.

However the crop of the RHS of the image so close to the side of the head, for me spoils the end result. Just a little bit of of a gap would have removed the distraction of the crop and given the subject more presence in the frame.

Rendering the person and the attitude, emotion or personality is always important in portraiture, so without being given the "story" behind the image, we are let to make up our own "meaning" that the image conveys.

The use of clear space is often used for editorial style compositions, allowing for the insert of words or inset pictures.

Can you tell us more about your ideas for this picture ?
I aimed to represent the subject's character. a) he is partially sighted (though, in fact, a photographer) b) he has a robust, but somewhat off-beat sense of humour.
Old 1st February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,467 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Negative space is often an effective compositional technique in portraiture but here it doesn't seem to relate to the subject and makes the forehead cropped by the edge of the frame look all the more uncomfortable. Of course, you may have been aiming for this type of discord or tension, in which case it suceeds.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (1st February 2015)