Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 27th August 2009
Trausti Hraunfjord

Zuiko 8mm Chromatic aberration

So I finally received the 8mm fisheye lens today, and I am not happy with it at all.

It has quite terrible Chromatic aberration in the images:

... this may look bad, but it is far from the worst I have seen in the (few) images I have shot with the lens until now. And no, this is not from the edge of the image, but from a section close to the center of it.

The image this crop is taken from, was shot with the camera on a tripod, using a remote, so there is no shaking there (but it was a bit out of focus)

What am I doing wrong? Or is it the camera that is not cooperating... or could it be the lens?

You are the experts, I will listen.
Old 27th August 2009

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Re: Zuiko 8mm Chromatic aberration

That does not look like Olympus quality to me, especially if it is near centre shot. I would suggest trying another 8mm and comparing.

It may be your example has a mis-aligned element inside it..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 27th August 2009
Trausti Hraunfjord

What I thought was Chromatic aberration, is not. It's Purple fringing. Here is a site that has addressed this very issue:

http://slash72.club.fr/gurl/Olympus/...%20fisheye.htm

I have absolutely no way of comparing it to another lens, since this is the one and only lens of it's kind here in Peru. I bought it from the US, through a friend there... so I am truly stuck with it. I would however like to try it out on another Oly camera, and compare the difference... if there is any.

... then there is always the new successor of E-3 ... it will hopefully have a much better sensor and computing system, that can eliminate all unwanted purpleness and other baddies.

I have only done 3 pano tests with the lens here at home, and despite the purple fringing, and the complete disappointment it resulted in, I can see that with the lens/camera set up properly on the panohead, stitching and shooting times are going to be seriously reduced in favor of more life-time. So I will stick to this lens for my work.
Old 27th August 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts

Sorry to hear of this problem' Trausti, it's a shocker. I suspect that the lens is faulty rather than the camera. Given that you've no way of comparing it with another lens the only long term solution may be to send it to Oly with some sample pics and get them to sort it, although I do appreciate the hassle this involves based on where you live.

I must admit I'm not familiar with this lens - are there any owners out there who can comment further to help Trausti?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th August 2009
Archphoto

Just a hunch, this could be light bounching inside the mirror box.

Make from black card board a disk that fits the rear of the lens with an 16mm* hole in it at att it to the rear of of the lens with double sided tape and see what comes out.

I had some softness problems with legacy lenses on the E's and this solved it partly in Brazil without my having my own repair shop set-up that I have in Holland.

Peter

* you can experiment with the size of the hole, make it even smaller
Old 27th August 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I had the opportunity, a year or so ago, of shooting with one of these lenses on an E-510, and this problem never appeared. I can only conclude from this unscientific test that you have a faulty lens.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th August 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts

I am a bit confused - is this a Zuiko Digital 8mm fisheye we are talking about or a legacy OM Zuiko circular 8mm fisheye lens?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 27th August 2009
Trausti Hraunfjord

Zuiko Digital 8mm. Not the legacy one.

I will have to make a lot more shots and examine these... Of course, the crop I provided above, is only 460 or so pixels on each side, while the original is around 60 times bigger... so it is at relatively high zoom levels that the purple crap becomes really visible.

But since I have only shot less than 100 pictures with the lens, and not examined each and every one of those, I need more time for "accepting" or finding a way to "live with" this... if it is a genuine problem, that it could actually be, considering the info in the LINK I provided earlier. Under good ligthing conditions, I hope there will be less purple fringes. But hope alone is seldomly enough to solve problems.

@Peter
Thanks for the suggestion, but the glass at the lens butt is only 16mm in diameter (maybe 17)... so there isn't much to move in there. I will block off the eyepiece for some tests, and see if that might help.
Old 27th August 2009

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Trausti

I have a the ZD 8mm fisheye aswell as an E-3, E-620 and E-510 is there a simple test we could set up at our various locations to see if this is a generic issue with the lens or there is a fault in yours?

I have to admit I probably don't look at my images in as much detail as yourself, but I've never spotted the purple fringing in any of my images.

Regards

Simon
Old 27th August 2009
EH1

I would have thought this is a fault with your idividual lens! I hope you get it sorted out somehow.
Old 27th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Trausti

I have a the ZD 8mm fisheye aswell as an E-3, E-620 and E-510 is there a simple test we could set up at our various locations to see if this is a generic issue with the lens or there is a fault in yours?
Regards

Simon

Here's a suggestion.. You could photograph a bright computer screen against a dark background (we can all arrange for both of those) and compare the results.. All you need is some helpful 8mm owner to do a comparison shot - doesn't even need to be on the same continent :-)

Pete

Old 27th August 2009
Trausti Hraunfjord

Thank you Simon.

I put white paper on a turned off monitor (overhead light) and maked off the fringe areas on the monitor (other parts of the image have it as well, but for a test you can make too, let's focus only on the white paper and black monitor).

Here is a small image of it:

And here is the full size image: http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/PurpleFringing.jpg

Here is the exif for the image... if you want to set your camera to the same (or similar) settings:

Old 27th August 2009
Trausti Hraunfjord

Ok Pete... where is your spy camera placed? Looking over my shoulder, or reading my mind? We posted at the same time, but as you can see, I shot the picture minutes before you posted.
Old 27th August 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trausti Hraunfjord View Post
Ok Pete... where is your spy camera placed? Looking over my shoulder, or reading my mind? We posted at the same time, but as you can see, I shot the picture minutes before you posted.
Hehe.. satellite imagery is improving all the time my friend.. Always close your curtains :-)

P

Old 27th August 2009

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I'm probably going to be in the office late tonight, but do a comparison over the weekend.

Regards

Simon