Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 7th November 2017

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Re: Olympus 7-14 f2.8

Well had fun on Anglesey, stayed at Point Lynas lighthouse.

The lens was superb but I must admit it was a steep learning curve - especially coming from a Panasonic 100-400 - I had to check numerous times to see if the lens was attached as everything was so far away!

Lessons learned:
* Definitely need a tripod or something to hold it all steady.
* Could do with an 8 stop filter or lower for waterfall work.
* Need to learn a suitable imaging software to get the best out of it all.

Really enjoyed being at the end of the lens spectrum though and can't wait to get out with it all again.

Matt
Old 7th November 2017

Liked 433 Times in 209 Posts

Hi Matt

had mine 2/3 months now, and it is brilliant, def need to work on it as my first shots were disappointing. However, viewed now on my new 4K screen the detail is well overwhelming....just a pity that I can't post full size res on this forum...

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 7th November 2017

Peter,

Some of the images are amazing, even though hand held, looking forward to spending more time with the lens.

Matt
Old 24th November 2017

OK, can someone talk me through focus stacking / bracketing please - in simple terms.

I've seen some mention of this but can't get my head around it.

May help if I give an example of what I am trying to achieve:

* I've seen landscape images where the close rocks are in perfect focus as is a distant object - how do people achieve this?

* Am also interested in getting ready for next years dragon flys so want to get images where the dragon fly, say on a leaf, is in perfect focus.

As an aside I've been and bought a tripod Benro TXA38cl to help me out - just need to find a suitable head now.

Matt
Old 24th November 2017

Liked 883 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Hirst View Post
OK, can someone talk me through focus stacking / bracketing please - in simple terms.

I've seen some mention of this but can't get my head around it.

May help if I give an example of what I am trying to achieve:

* I've seen landscape images where the close rocks are in perfect focus as is a distant object - how do people achieve this?

* Am also interested in getting ready for next years dragon flys so want to get images where the dragon fly, say on a leaf, is in perfect focus.

As an aside I've been and bought a tripod Benro TXA38cl to help me out - just need to find a suitable head now.

Matt
I'm not sure you would need to resort to that with the 7-14.
Here's a recent example I took with mine up in the lakes, hand held, 8 mm @f/5.6

Derwent Water by Huw Prosser, on Flickr

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 24th November 2017

Superb image, but I was looking at images of say south stack Anglesey and the near rocks, stairs were in focus as is the light house itself and that is what I was trying to recreate.

Matt
Old 7th December 2017

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

My thoughts on this lens and it’s steep learning curve. I recall Thomas Heaton done a vlog on focusing in the field, a short while ago quite interesting utube. This lens does take some getting used to, I come from a nature background with long lenses. I was not impressed with my first few shots. So it’s still a suck it and see. As you mentioned filters I found it strange that the 100mm size filters actually vignette at the wide end ie 7-8mm. So opted for the 150mm size. I couldn’t see the point of paying a grand for the lens and not using it wide open. However the size of these filters seems to go against the micro four thirds ideology. They are expensive as well.
Kind regards Mike
Old 8th December 2017

Liked 1,260 Times in 721 Posts

At 7mm and f5.6 the hyperfocal distance on m4/3 is something just over half a meter, so for conventional landscapes even with very close foreground objects you can almost forget about focusing at all, never mind stacking!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (8th December 2017), Jim Ford (8th December 2017)
Old 10th December 2017

Liked 861 Times in 550 Posts

The old Olympus OM System Lens Handbook suggests that with ultra-wide lenses, you compose your shot and then take a step forward and do it again. The best bit of advice on ultra-wides I've ever heard.

It is a pity that so few modern AF lenses have focus distance and d-o-f scales on them, it makes it difficult to set them at hyperfocal distance. There are times when only manual focus will do!
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (10th December 2017)