Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th June 2019

Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts
Re: W10 peek-a-boo for Junes update

Hi
If i remember rightly you just right click on the unallocated bit and extend or format it will extend c or you will have a drive d?

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye
Old 5th June 2019

Liked 210 Times in 140 Posts

This might be of interest despite also being a product advert...

Or possibly this... https://www.hdd-tool.com/windows-10/...indows-10.html

Jax
Old 5th June 2019

Liked 480 Times in 251 Posts

Thanks Michael and Jax.

I don't thing I can merge the partitions in Windows but I have found a free partition manager on 'Downloads.com (Mini Tool Partition Wizard) which looks good and should solve the problem. I'll wait to see if anyone else has any other suggestions then I'll give it a go.

Cheers guys
Keith
Old 5th June 2019

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Thanks.

Apart from a couple of very minor things, it looks and behaves exactly like my Win7 did. All my desktop icons are there, all my favourites in Firefox and Chrome are there, everything in Word,Excel are there and all my emails and folders are there in Outlook. I couldn't be happier at the moment.

There is just one thing that maybe someone can help me with. As I said in my last post, I cloned my 480Gb Kingston SSD onto a Samsung Evo 1Tb SSD. When I click on 'This PC' it shows 'Local Disk C' to be 480Gb and not the 1T of the Samsung now in place. Looking in 'Disk Management' it shows the drive as having 'C' drive the same as the old 480Gb and a further 484.40Gb 'unallocated' How would I allocate that extra to become part of the 'C' drive? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again everyone
Keith
That always happens when you clone a drive because what you have is a clone of your original 500 GB drive!

I theory you should be able to simply extend your 50 GB partition to the full size of the drive but that depends on whether you have a 'system reserved' partition between C:\ Drive and the unallocated space which will prevent you from extending it.

I do it another way. Rather than putting everything into C:\ drive I actually shrink this down to a smaller size (typically 250 GB) and keep it only for the OS and programmes. That way if anything happens to C:\ drive I lose nothing.

If you create a new drive in the extended partition (call it D:\ drive of you like) you can easily relocate your My Documents and Pictures folders to the new drive.

Also, once you are happy with your new W10 installation you can fit your old drive to the computer and use this for storage. Or better still, clone your new installation back to the old 500 GB drive and then use your new 1TB drive to store your files in a spate physical drive.

(Of course you don't have to use My Documents or My Pictures if you don't want to.)

You can do all of the above within Windows without installing other apps.

I will give you another tip too. If you install a second SSD drive your computer will run faster of you relocate your Pagefile.sys file to that drive. Very simply your computer can read and write to separate drives more quickly than it can to one.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Jax (5th June 2019), Keith-369 (5th June 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (5th June 2019), Keith-369 (5th June 2019), Otto (5th June 2019)
Old 5th June 2019

Nigel, many thanks for your advice.

Firstly, you've stopped me worrying that I did something wrong when I formatted the new drive by saying it always happens when cloning, although choosing MBR rather than GPT was maybe wrong, I don't know.

Yes, unfortunately there is a partition (recovery Partition) between 'C' drive and the unallocated section.

If I was to shrink 'C' drive (leaving space for any new programs I want to install of course) and expand the new section (let's call it 'D' for now), presumably I would move My Documents, Downloads and everything else except programs before I shrank it. Would I just drag and drop Documents etc or is there a better way?

If I was to install my 480Gb SSD as a second drive, is it just a simple drag and drop to relocate the Pagefile.sys file to it, and where is Pagefile.sys?

Thanks again

Keith
Old 5th June 2019

Liked 210 Times in 140 Posts

Fortunately for us, Nigel is the living breathing version of Google. Actually he's better than Google What he doesn't know about most subjects is simply not worth knowing and his advice is invaluable.

No sarcasm intended, just an honest opinion. ( Nigel, cheque made payble to Mr. Jax pls. )

Jax
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5th June 2019)
Old 5th June 2019

Quote:
If I was to shrink 'C' drive (leaving space for any new programs I want to install of course) and expand the new section (let's call it 'D' for now), presumably I would move My Documents, Downloads and everything else except programs before I shrank it. Would I just drag and drop Documents etc or is there a better way?

If I was to install my 480Gb SSD as a second drive, is it just a simple drag and drop to relocate the Pagefile.sys file to it, and where is Pagefile.sys?

Thanks again

Keith
Hi Keith,
I am about to go out but will answer your questions later in more detail. Neither is difficult to do.

Very quickly though, if you go to Explorer, right click on My Documents and go to the Location tab you can select a new location from there.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (5th June 2019)
Old 5th June 2019

Thanks, Nigel. No rush at all.

I'm taking my time with this and, because I know a little but not enough, I want to make sure I've got everything well set in my mind before I do anything.

Thanks again

Keith
Old 5th June 2019

OK, I will reply fully in the morning, but before doing anything I would create a disk image on an external hard drive or a spare internal hard drive or SSD so that you have something to fall back on if anything goes wrong.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th June 2019

Liked 3,199 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately, if you want Windows, there's no choice.
There is an independent (of Microsoft) XP group which, I am told, is thriving.

This might be it:

https://www.xpforums.com/

Harold
Old 6th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
There is an independent (of Microsoft) XP group which, I am told, is thriving.

This might be it:

https://www.xpforums.com/

Harold
Xp was good in its day but I don't know why anyone would chose it today over later operating systems. Xp is also incredibly slow!

Windows 7 is much better than Xp but is getting a little dated now and is slower than later OS's.

Windows 8.1 is probably still my favourite but the more I use Windows 10 the more I like it.

I put off moving to Windows 10 for as long as possible but now I have taken the jump I really like it. Edge is particularly good, and much better than Chrome in my view.

Don't be afraid of Windows 10. It really is very good now.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th June 2019

Liked 3,199 Times in 1,728 Posts

Nigel,

My experience of moving to W10 was much like yours. However, I dislike Edge and, as for directing me to Bing for a search engine!

Harold
Old 6th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Nigel,

My experience of moving to W10 was much like yours. However, I dislike Edge and, as for directing me to Bing for a search engine!

Harold
You can still install Chrome if you really want to, but Edge is better and faster. Edge also provides a spellcheck dictionary that isn't thrown by primary school vocabulary.

You can change the default home screen and search engine options too.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 6th June 2019

Liked 862 Times in 550 Posts

I have an XP partition on one of my hard drives because I still need to use some software that won't run on later versions. When I go back to it after using 10 for some time it looks positively antique. I don't find it noticeably slower than 10 though, but perhaps that says more about this old Dell than the OS themselves.
Old 6th June 2019

Quote:

Thanks again

Keith

Coming back to Keith's questions, as I said earlier, I would start by creating a 'Disk Image' of your system drive so that if anything goes wrong, which is always possible, you can easily restore everything. I keep a disk image of all of my machines so that I can turn the clock back if needed. Provided you have the space you can create multiple disk images as you go along, and then simply delete those you don't need.

A quick note about disk images. These create a snapshot of your disk at the moment the image was created, and will recreate that image, byte for byte on the target drive. If used some time later these disk images are quite uncanny as you will see the same part-written emails, web pages and documents that were open when the image (or clone) was created.

A disk image will also recreate exactly the same file system as the original so regardless of which format you use (or none) the disk image will be an exact clone of the original. Needless to say the disk image will wipe everything from the target drive and will only install on a disk of the same size or bigger irrespective of how much data was on the original.

Moving on, my philosophy for a long time has been to utilise the System drive (C:\ Drive) primarily for the operating system and programmes only. Apart from security concerns the OS and programmes can always be replaced. My data is irreplaceable. As far as possible I like to keep my data elsewhere; either on a separate file server or on separate physical drives. Apart from anything else, it can be frustrating having files on one computer that cannot easily be accessed elsewhere.

As an added bonus, not storing data on C:\ drive reduces fragmentation which was a problem in the days of spinning hard drives.

The Windows Library system (My Documents, My Music, Etc.,) may be convenient but you don't have to use it. You can create an entirely separate folder and file ecosystem set it as a default location for Word, Excel, etc. You can also create shortcuts to regularly used locations in Explorer. Finally, you can easily move the library folders to different locations and can add other locations to the Library. It isn't a fixed feast.

To get started, if you want to move your Windows Library files go to Windows Explorer, locate My Documents and right click on it. Select the Location tab then Move to find a new location and to move files there. Repeat this for Pictures, Music and so forth.

It isn't good practice to put everything into a root drive so for consistency I create a 'Users' file on a separate drive. My file locations therefore look like this:
E:\Users\Nigel\Documents

E:\Users\Nigel\Pictures

And so on....
One Drive:

By default the contents of Microsoft OneDrive are located on C:\ drive, but that too can be moved. However, be careful where you move OneDrive to as it will effectively 'mop up' everything in the target location. For example, I made the mistake of moving it to the 'E:\Users\Nigel' folder where it automatically synchronised everything in Documents, Pictures, Music and everything else in that location which I did not want! You may want to create your own location for OneDrive such as E:\Users\Nigel\OneDrive or simply leave it where it is which may be easier.

Moving Pagefile.sys

This job should be left until last. Pagefile.sys is Windows 'virtual memory' and by default is located in the root of C:\ drive. This is used to store less-used data if there is insufficient space in volatile RAM, and also to store some driver data for faster boot ups.

Read-write speed of individual drives is limited so you will get better performance if your Pagefile.sys file is located on a separate physical drive. However, this data might be needed by Windows which is why I said this stage should be left until last, and when it is unlikely that you will need to restore from a disk image.

Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Advanced, Settings, Advanced, and then select Change under Virtual Memory. (This is quite tortuous.)

Deselect 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' and then select Custom Size. You will then be prompted to enter the size and location of the Page File. I prefer to set the both minimum and maximum values to the 'Recommended' value shown; that way the PageFile is always the same size and doesn't move around or get fragmented.

Finally, make sure you have installed software to maintain your new SSD. This is needed to update the firmware and in many cases can greatly accelerate performance.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing