Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 4th October 2015

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Stylus 1 question

I recently bought a Stylus 1 to take on holidays (it's an amazing little camera).

There is a Digital Teleconverter option that I may occasionally need (Olympus claims minimal image degradation). However reading the manual it seems only accessible by allocating it to a button function. As I have already allocated commonly used functions to the buttons I do not want to have this infrequently used function taking up a valuable button.

So, does anyone know how to access Digital Teleconverter without allocating it to a button?
Old 4th October 2015

Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,028 Posts
Liked 2,074 Times in 1,124 Posts
Re: Stylus 1 question

G'day Paul.
I agree it's a great little camera. To answer you question, no, there is no other way that I know of than to use a button for 2 X Teleconverter (except utilising one of the Custom Modes on the dial). I originally used the Record button for 2 X Teleconverter (& kept Record for Movie in Custom 1 & 2 mode selections), but it was a bit too easy to press it when not wanted & I had AEL on Fn1 so I swapped them around now with safer & easier placings for both.

EDITED
For Fn2 I unchecked everything except the few functions I wanted there (with others accessible by the 4 way pad, Direct Function or the SCP) having IS Mode, WB, AF Mode, ISO & ND Filter Setting.

The Front Lever is great for immediate MF control (& changes the front ring to smooth control & disables AF-Mode selection with Fn2). The latest firmware made it nicer than before too where I made the left zoom lever adjustable by steps instead of slow zoom, but I may change that again if I see the need (for video etc).

I hope that helps.
Cheers, Ross

PS You can private message me if you would like more direct contact methods.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Paul19 (5th October 2015)
Old 4th October 2015

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks Ross.
We have quite a similar set up except my Fn1 button is set so that I can toggle between all focus points and centre focus point. I hadn't thought of using a Custom setting, so will do that!
Appreciate your reply.
Cheers,
Ross the fiddler (4th October 2015)
Old 5th October 2015

Liked 686 Times in 361 Posts

I would not bother with that digital crop. you can just set the camera to the highest setting and lowest compression or RAW. You can digital crop/zoom from your desktop.

For me, since I hardly use the video function, I dedicate that record button for that purpose.

All my garbage so far.
Old 5th October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
I would not bother with that digital crop. you can just set the camera to the highest setting and lowest compression or RAW. You can digital crop/zoom from your desktop.

For me, since I hardly use the video function, I dedicate that record button for that purpose.
I always save both high level jpeg & raw so if I do use the 2 X DT I also have the full size raw image to play with as well, as this larger crop image (from the Stylus 1) came from that in that situation.

(Water fowl on Wentworth Falls Lake)

Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
blu-by-u (6th October 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (6th October 2015), Paul19 (5th October 2015)
Old 5th October 2015

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

[QUOTE=blu-by-u;361112]I would not bother with that digital crop. you can just set the camera to the highest setting and lowest compression or RAW. You can digital crop/zoom from your desktop.

I think the technology is beyond simple crop/zoom in computer, especially if you are already using highest setting and lowest compression or RAW.

An interesting statement by Olympus: "Digital Tele-converter is a function that captures the centre of the image and saves it as an image file, iHS Technology is then used to complete the image with minimal image quality degradation."
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 5th October 2015

[quote=Paul19;361116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post

I think the technology is beyond simple crop/zoom in computer, especially if you are already using highest setting and lowest compression or RAW.

An interesting statement by Olympus: "Digital Tele-converter is a function that captures the centre of the image and saves it as an image file, iHS Technology is then used to complete the image with minimal image quality degradation."
It does up-scale it nicely in my experience too & that's why I don't mind using it when I need to (so long as all settings are correct for the jpeg output without the need for post adjustments), but it is also good to have that backup raw file too.

The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 6th October 2015

Liked 686 Times in 361 Posts

I follow Ross. RAW + JPG.

All my garbage so far.