Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 10th October 2014

Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts
Re: Capture One Pro 8....

Good news

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
Old 13th October 2014

Thanked 1,317 Times in 1,029 Posts
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Version 8.0.1 has been released and appears to have sorted the problems I was having.
So now it's certainly more of a thumbs up from me and as a consequence I've gone ahead and upgraded.
I finally gave in too (but am glad I waited for this update fix). I tried my first photo recovery here, to see how well it would perform recovering the whole image with the blown whites etc. I've never got around to using layers at all in any program, so it will be interesting to see how well I can utilise that function in CO8.

I dunnit!

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (13th October 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (13th October 2014)
Old 13th October 2014

Join the club Ross. I know it can be a bit quirky, but if one can put up with that, its output can be great. It certainly seems to have done a good job on your highlight recovery.

I'm sure that you won't find using layers a problem, they just allow you to work on separate aspects of your image one bit at a time, as I'm sure that you are aware. There are many options available, but the only problem I find is trying to remember how to activate the one I want! Do I right clear here, or left click there.

I find that I am doing more of the image manipulation directly in Capture One than I was in LR. I do find the post-crop vignetting options in LR to be superior though, and I sometimes import a tiff into LR just for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rawcoll For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (13th October 2014)
Old 13th October 2014

Liked 887 Times in 310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I finally gave in too (but am glad I waited for this update fix). I tried my first photo recovery here, to see how well it would perform recovering the whole image with the blown whites etc. I've never got around to using layers at all in any program, so it will be interesting to see how well I can utilise that function in CO8.

I dunnit!

Well done Ross, I'm quite liking the improvements.
I've noticed the HDR option (highlight recovery etc) is a nice improvement over v7 with a more natural colour balance even when really pushing shadows and highlights in one image.
It worked out well in the example you posted Ross.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (14th October 2014)
Old 16th October 2014

I'm having a little issue with the CO8 output. It loses some blue from the edit view to the saved jpeg. Is there a reason for it & can I change it?
I thought I'd dig out an old E520 RAW file & see what it did with it.

Taken then with my E520 & 14-54 II lens while on a photography class in Penrith which was an exercise in night shots & timer selfiies. (No, this isn't my church.) BTW, the banding on the left only occurs in this reduced image for web display.

Is it me with my settings with this result or is it something else?
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 16th October 2014

Liked 887 Times in 310 Posts

Hi Ross,

I had a quick comparison with some images that I'm currently working on.
The example below shows a Jpeg output over CO8 in the background. The blue (in the dress) seems to be consistent at least in this example.

Not really of help to you though, sorry.

I've had a look on the CO8 forum and have found a thread where it appears someone's output differs from what is seen in Capture One.
Perhaps as is mentioned in this thread it maybe related to the output recipe?

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Greytop For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (17th October 2014)
Old 17th October 2014

Thanks Huw. I tried TIFF (including 16 bit), Embed Camera Profile etc without a difference, but this recent E-M1 (edited) file seems OK though.

EDIT: I tried saving the output jpeg as Embed Camera Profile & that was a bad idea for when I went to resize it in OV3 it was quite desaturated, so saving it as sRGB jpeg is what it needs (for that output).
Old 17th October 2014

Liked 724 Times in 484 Posts

Could it be to do with the colour space? It's confusing and hard to explain without making things worse, but if it thinks it is working in a large-gamut colour space and then you save it without converting to a smaller one, and then display it by some means that doesn't understand the larger one, you can get all sorts of odd results. Typically images come out looking flat but colour shifts might also happen.

John
Old 17th October 2014

Hi Ross
Let me start by saying that I am no expert in these matters, and I'm sure there are others better placed, but I like a problem to solve . So, for what it is worth, here are a few thoughts that have gone through my creaky brain.

Just to confirm, you are here comparing the input image with the perspective correction tool applied, with an sRGB jpeg output file created from the post-applied correction, rather than comparing the on-screen view of pre-and post-application of the tool?

The first thing is that C1 (or LR for that matter) works in a much larger colour space than either your monitor or sRGB, and what you observe on-screen has to have some form of colour space compression and/or clipping from the C1 space. One must assume that the image data itself hasn't changed as all you are doing is perspective correction (and I guess this is what you are really querying), so something must be different in the way it is interpreted/presented. I'm not sure exactly what is going on here because it looks as though there is only one choice for rendering intent in preferences, and it is not clear whether that just applies to output or screen as well. However, if they are different (with the process engine to screen rendering intent hidden) then I could imagine some discrepancy between the two.

Another point is how large the colour space of your monitor is. If it is larger than sRGB, then the screen output of C1 will presumably have a larger colour space than your created jpeg, which is only sRGB. Have you tried to see what happens if you create an Adobe space jpeg?

I can't fathom why the EM-1 file should behave differently to the E-520 raw. After all, you are comparing two different renditions of the same image in the same piece of software, for each source file. It is not as though you are comparing the same scene imaged by two different cameras, which could obviously be different.

I can't see any reason for the colour temperature settings to change, but have you checked to see if anything happens pre- and post-application of the tool? (Clutching at straws here!).

Not sure I've added much here to be honest. It might be worth seeing if changing the rendering intent (Preferences/Colour tab) makes any difference, and saving the jpeg in Adobe space rather than sRGB.

Edit. "and I guess this is what you are really querying". Or perhaps you aren't, if I'm correct in assuming that the screen image after you apply the tool is OK, it's just the output jpeg that seems wrong.

Edit 2 On your E-M1 comparison you are using Windows Photo Viewer. I don't think this is colour managed so it might not be the best comparison, although for sRGB it might be OK. I'd be wary of using it for comparison with an image in Adobe colour space though.

Old 17th October 2014

Thanks for the helpful comments. The original E520 raw file was taken in sRGB & the output is also sRGB. What I have discovered (with that file) in the edit window of CO8 is that if I zoom in to the blue sign it loses that royal blue tone to the grey blue colour, as it saves it in the jpeg. Maybe my laptop is the limiting the factor with it only being 720 (high) definition. I'll have to see what happens with the 1080 HD monitor attached to it (when my wife isn't using it) instead. I guess I'll have to zoom in on colours to make sure I know what I'm getting then.

There doesn't seem to much difference zooming in on the rainbow lorikeet, except for the blue underbelly a little.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 17th October 2014

Success! I was apparently working at a threshold point of the blue in the White Balance & at the WB set now it displays the edit window as it would be saved (as jpeg). In future I will know to zoom in to check critical colours when the WB is at the that threshold point.

PS. The lack of sharpness in the Windows Photo Viewer is not an issue & just the smoothing effect it has in displaying (I think).

Thanks again to all.

The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (20th October 2014)
Old 17th October 2014

Quote:
I was apparently working at a threshold point of the blue in the White Balance
Glad you have tamed it Ross, but I have to say I don't really understand what you mean by this comment. When were you modifying the colour balance?

One other point, even if your E-520 was set to sRGB, it will only be the associated camera jpeg that will have this colour space. The sensor will likely cover a wider gamut, and in processing the RAW you should certainly be able to create jpegs and tiffs with the larger Adobe space, and perhaps include colours that wouldn't be reproducible in the sRGB space.

Old 17th October 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawcoll View Post
Glad you have tamed it Ross, but I have to say I don't really understand what you mean by this comment. When were you modifying the colour balance?

One other point, even if your E-520 was set to sRGB, it will only be the associated camera jpeg that will have this colour space. The sensor will likely cover a wider gamut, and in processing the RAW you should certainly be able to create jpegs and tiffs with the larger Adobe space, and perhaps include colours that wouldn't be reproducible in the sRGB space.
As I moved the WB from 2300 Kelvin up the 2550 it could display the solid block of blue colour correctly but beneath 2500 it would only display it the correct blue shade if I zoomed in.

I was thinking my (E520) jpeg presets may have been displayed from the raw in CO8, but no, it needed a lot of pushing to get the resulting output.
Old 17th October 2014

Quote:
As I moved the WB from 2300 Kelvin up the 2550 it could display the solid block of blue colour correctly but beneath 2500 it would only display it the correct blue shade if I zoomed in.
That is weird

Old 17th October 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawcoll View Post
That is weird
Yeah, I know, but at least I'm aware of it now.