Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 29th March 2013

Thanked 1,315 Times in 1,028 Posts
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,126 Posts
Re: Olympus Viewer 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but I have loaded viewer 2 onto a computer, not the one I normally use to edit pics. I can view RAW files and view and edit jpegs, however, I have been unable to edit RAW pics, will this version solve that or am I doing something wrong in version 2?
Both in OV2 & OV3 the RAW (.ORF) files can be edited. In OV2 from the preview page (or window) of thumbnails, by double clicking to open the file, it (should) take you to the edit window with two tabs on the right, EDIT & RAW. In OV3, clicking on the EDIT icon on the top right will take you to a similar window (but with the thumbnails across the top instead of the bottom like OV2). This is how I prefer to edit RAW files rather than the other method of clicking on the RAW icon on the top bar in both OV2 & 3.

I do recommend downloading & installing OV3 as it does have some improvements to it over OV2 (but also a couple of omissions too) & as others have said, it opens quicker than OV2.

EDIT: (that word keeps popping up ) Don't forget to get the updates for OV2 or OV3.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 30th March 2013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I downloaded OV3 yesterday, thanks to this post. I "installed" it soon afterwards and all looked fine. The installer even told me it had finished installation! But, there is nothing but an empty OV3-folder on my HDD! Any idea what the heck is going wrong?
(I am still running WinXP(SP3), and am not going to change that as long as I can.)

Ross, did you notice that OV2 offers two ways of editing Raw's?
First by double-click as you said, but second by right mouse button and "open Raw-editing-window" (or such; I have it set to German of course; 3rd. point from top). With this option you get all Raw's listed at the bottom and you can apply setting to a number of them.

It took me quite a while to discover this second way of editing. I was processing one-by-one or with the wizard tool and batch-files, when I had a series of photos which could use the same adjustments ...
Old 30th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
I downloaded OV3 yesterday, thanks to this post. I "installed" it soon afterwards and all looked fine. The installer even told me it had finished installation! But, there is nothing but an empty OV3-folder on my HDD! Any idea what the heck is going wrong?
(I am still running WinXP(SP3), and am not going to change that as long as I can.)

Ross, did you notice that OV2 offers two ways of editing Raw's?
First by double-click as you said, but second by right mouse button and "open Raw-editing-window" (or such; I have it set to German of course; 3rd. point from top). With this option you get all Raw's listed at the bottom and you can apply setting to a number of them.

It took me quite a while to discover this second way of editing. I was processing one-by-one or with the wizard tool and batch-files, when I had a series of photos which could use the same adjustments ...
First of all, my original download failed (with a partial download & was fine when I did it again later) which I was doing as a Save As into a specific folder I had created for it & then I ran it after it was downloaded. I prefer to do this with most downloadeable programs, but also because I wanted to install it on another computer.

With RAW editing, I have always taken the EDIT route because it was easy choosing any of the edit functions or raw edit functions under two easy accessable lists (tabs) & also to see the resulting saved jpeg in the thumbnails straight away. Actually, I've overlooked the 'edit' icon used in OV2 top bar (& just double clicked the thumbnail which opened it) as it wasn't particularly obvious to me & now it is very obvious in OV3.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 30th March 2013

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

OV3 on first view still appears dire but faster.
the options say you can use dual screen but as in OV2 I cannot get it to function...looks like I will stick to CO7
The Following User Says Thank You to crimbo For This Useful Post:
Greytop (30th March 2013)
Old 30th March 2013

Liked 887 Times in 310 Posts

Sadly I agree with Chris, I rarely used OV2 but I admit V3 is an improvement (in speed) but light-years away from the polished, intuitive and fast CO7 package.
Mind you CO7 costs but it's worth it.

Thanks for the heads up anyway Barr1e

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 30th March 2013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
... I was doing as a Save As into a specific folder I had created for it & then I ran it after it was downloaded. I prefer to do this with most downloadeable programs, but also because I wanted to install it on another computer.
Thats the way I always like to do it as well - and did. I even tried to install OV3 from USB-stick, but with the same outcome
I guessed if my downloaded file is corrupted in any way it should not function in the first place, but everything looked all right all the way to the end. A mystery!

Thanks Ross,
Falk
Old 30th March 2013

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

I installed Olympus Viewer 2 on my Ubuntu machine and it appears to run OK with Wine (though I haven't tested it thoroughly). Viewer 3 installs, but doesn't run.

Jim
Old 30th March 2013

Liked 314 Times in 128 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I've just tried to download OV3 but got a message saying the service is down due to maintenance. Maybe they're trying to put some of the problems right.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 30th March 2013

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Downloaded OV3 yesterday without any problems. Enjoyed getting familiar with it - as others have said it's very quick (both in processing and intuitivly), it also brought across my personal changes from OV2.
Ross you mentioned some omissions from OV2, except for things being rearranged I haven't noticed anything of significance, am I missing something?
Old 31st March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul19 View Post
Downloaded OV3 yesterday without any problems. Enjoyed getting familiar with it - as others have said it's very quick (both in processing and intuitivly), it also brought across my personal changes from OV2.
Ross you mentioned some omissions from OV2, except for things being rearranged I haven't noticed anything of significance, am I missing something?
Just the inability to open a file from Windows Explorer (file browser) directly into the edit window of OV3 as I can with OV2 & also the thumbnails when in the edit window can't be changed in size as it can in OV2. It might sound like I'm whinging, but I'm not really. It is nicer in a number of ways but disappointing when little features are taken out. I wonder if they would consider putting them back in with software updates or maybe I'm just missing something?
Old 31st March 2013

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Ok, I understand you miss those two facilities, but as I don't use them... there goes OV2.
Interestingly I downloaded OV3 to my wife's computer registering her Olympus P&S and it opened in the Library section.
Ross the fiddler (31st March 2013)
Old 31st March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul19 View Post
Ok, I understand you miss those two facilities, but as I don't use them... there goes OV2.
Interestingly I downloaded OV3 to my wife's computer registering her Olympus P&S and it opened in the Library section.
That's probably because it installed it with the Standard Mode instead of the Expert Mode which can be changed later if required because of the camera model.
Old 31st March 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Download and installed OV3 on a Mac and the whole process took just over 2 minutes! The speed maybe because it didn't replace OV2, so now I have both. Looks pretty but I haven't attempted to do anything yet. I never used OV2 so I don't imagine I well use this much but I need to try it out before I trash OV2.

David