Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 3rd June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,466 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts
Re: Camerabox Customer Service

30 days to refund an unfulfilled order is just plain ridiculous and makes me suspect they may be using customer's money to help their cashflow. Quite worrying, really.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th June 2011

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
30 days to refund an unfulfilled order is just plain ridiculous and makes me suspect they may be using customer's money to help their cashflow. Quite worrying, really.
John, I've never used the company and no knowlege of them, but it could be that their business model is akin to SimplyElectronics; i.e. to accept the customer's order and payment. Then buy in remotely and ship from a third party.
If the items are in stock with the third party supplier, then the UK buyer gets a good price on a possibly Grey Import. If the company can't source the item from their suppliers, at a price that gives them a profit margin, the buyer gets the runaround for some time before the refund materialises.

From Simply's ebay site
This product is stocked with our supplier. Our merchant teams over the world will get up-to-date status on product availability; and we will procure this item immediately when you place an order.

If you do a web search, there are reviews and comments a plenty e.g.
Camerabox with a 44% recommendation
Simply Electronics who fare better with an 85% one.

The reviews for these and similar traders seem quite polarised, either excellent service, or appalling.
I think the moral is to research a new on-line supplier carefully before ordering from them; often the most honest reviews come from forums such as this rather than general review sites.
I do wonder if the review sites attract people with a gripe who may not have posted about good service, so the results may be a bit skewed.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 4th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,158 Times in 2,466 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
John, I've never used the company and no knowlege of them, but it could be that their business model is akin to SimplyElectronics; i.e. to accept the customer's order and payment. Then buy in remotely and ship from a third party.
If the items are in stock with the third party supplier, then the UK buyer gets a good price on a possibly Grey Import. If the company can't source the item from their suppliers, at a price that gives them a profit margin, the buyer gets the runaround for some time before the refund materialises.

From Simply's ebay site
This product is stocked with our supplier. Our merchant teams over the world will get up-to-date status on product availability; and we will procure this item immediately when you place an order.

If you do a web search, there are reviews and comments a plenty e.g.
Camerabox with a 44% recommendation
Simply Electronics who fare better with an 85% one.

The reviews for these and similar traders seem quite polarised, either excellent service, or appalling.
I think the moral is to research a new on-line supplier carefully before ordering from them; often the most honest reviews come from forums such as this rather than general review sites.
I do wonder if the review sites attract people with a gripe who may not have posted about good service, so the results may be a bit skewed.
It sounds like part of the deal is to expect a certain amount of delay and inconvenience. Buyers must decide for themselves if the potential savings are worth it. Personally, I rather buy Olympus UK stock from a reputable dealer, preferably my local camera shop, or used from this forum.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th June 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Sadly I understand this ridiculous 'up to 30 days for a refund' is law (sales of goods act). I had a similar experience recently with a company I purchased a Hi Fi equipment stand. The goods were never shipped, the order was cancelled but it took me close to 30 days to get my money back.
I had to phone and email on regular basis with all sorts of excuses eventually the bottom line came out that by law they had 30 days from the cancellation to refund me.
After making this particular purchase I subsequently found examples of sales from this particular company that had gone 'down hill' (AVforums) and to be fair others that were OK so it definitely pays to research before hand.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 4th June 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Sadly I understand this ridiculous 'up to 30 days for a refund' is law (sales of goods act).
That may be, but a lot of on-line retailers do not operate on that basis.

A quote from Warehouse Express t/c

What happens if some items are out of stock when my order is processed?

When your order is processed we won't take payment for out of stock items until they arrive and we are able to send them to you.

My experience is that SRS operate the same system. So do, I believe, many other retailers. Of course these companies usually maintain accurate web sites.

It is, I'm afraid, a case of buyer beware.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 25th September 2011

Liked 335 Times in 85 Posts

Update on this thread - I see that Camerabox went into administration on 28th June 2011.
Old 25th September 2011

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graptolite View Post
Update on this thread - I see that Camerabox went into administration on 28th June 2011.
Wonder if Graham ever got his refund? 28th June was before his 30 days expired.
Old 7th October 2011

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to tycoon1954

Just found this when i had a look at Camerabox website

Camerabox Limited trading as Digital First

Camerabox Limited trading as Digital First was placed into Administration on 28 June 2011 and Martha H Thompson and David H Gilbert of BDO LLP, Kings Wharf, 20-30 Kings Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 3EX were appointed Joint Administrators.

If you have any queries, please contact them at the above address or email at BRNOTICE@bdo.co.uk.

With respect to any unfulfilled orders, you may wish to contact your credit card provider.

All queries relating to faulty products and warranty issues should be directed to the manufacturer.

Camerabox Limited
- In Administration -
Registered Number: 05046990
In the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division, Bristol District Registry
Court number 772 of 2011

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN pursuant to Paragraph 51 of Schedule B1 of the Insolvency Act 1986, that a meeting of the creditors of the above named company has been called for the purposes of considering and, if thought fit, approving the proposals of the Joint Administrators for achieving the aim of the Administration and also to consider establishing and, if thought fit, to appoint a creditors' committee.

If you are a creditor of the Company and you require details of the meeting please email the Joint Administrators immediately on BRNOTICE@bdo.co.uk. Please include your daytime telephone number on any email.

A person authorised under Section 323 of the Companies Act 2006 to represent a corporation must produce to the Chairman of the meeting a copy of the resolution from which their authority is derived. The copy resolution must be under seal of the corporation, or certified by the secretary or director of the corporation as a true copy.

Please note that a creditor is entitled to vote only if he has delivered to the Joint Administrators not later than 12:00 hrs on the day before the meeting details in writing of the debt claimed to be due from the Company, and the claim has been duly admitted under the provisions of the Insolvency Rules 1986 and there has been lodged with the Joint Administrators any proxy which the creditor intends to be used on his behalf.

The Joint Administrators are Martha H Thompson and David H Gilbert (office holder numbers 8678 and 2376) of BDO LLP, Kings Wharf, 20-30 Kings Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 3EX. The Administrators were appointed on 28 June 2011. The Joint Administrators may be contacted at of BRNOTICE@bdo.co.uk.

The Company’s registered office is c/o BDO LLP, Kings Wharf, 20-30 Kings Road, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 3EX. The Company’s principal trading address was Unit 7, Jane Morbey Road, Thame, Oxfordshire, OX9 3RR.

Dated: 12 August 2011

FAQ's

What if I have paid for but not yet received my order?

Any orders placed with the Company which are yet to be delivered will not now be fulfilled. Any payment already taken in respect of unfulfilled orders cannot be refunded and may rank as an unsecured claim against the Company. I would advise that it is not the duty of the Joint Administrators to adjudicate on the claims of unsecured creditors, this is the responsibility of any subsequently appointed Liquidator. On present information, there will be sufficient funds available to enable a subsequently appointed Liquidator to make a small dividend to unsecured creditors.

You may wish to contact your credit card provider in order to obtain a refund.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tycoon1954 For This Useful Post:
meach (8th October 2011), Zuiko (7th October 2011)