Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 10th August 2009
DannyH

Woven Plastic Spoons

Found some colored plastic spoons and put them in a weave pattern. I used a polarization gel with a polarize lens, and Walla.

Old 10th August 2009

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts
Re: Woven Plastic Spoons

Beautiful colours there and I like the composition

Every time I see pictures of polarised plastic things I decide that I must have a go myself but I never seem to get around to it

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 10th August 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts

The only critique I have is the cliping of the spoon on the top right and the inclusion of the tiny bit of another on the top left. Otherwise, this is excellent.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th August 2009
Bonsaidad

That is a nice piece of digital art, the pattern is very pleasing to the eye, and the variation of colors sets the whole image off.

Best regards Paul
Old 11th August 2009
DannyH

Thanks for all the feedback. Graham, I shot around 50 images with different angles and weave patterns. I had a couple that did not have any clipped spoons, but I didn't like the more vertical angle of the image. It seemed I couldn't get a good angle with everything in and not have something clipped. It's the old compromise going on, and I appreciate your appraisal of it. I asked my wife about the clipping of the spoons, and she thought that it gave it a feeling that the pattern continued on and on.
Old 11th August 2009

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

I enjoy this image a lot. Its very different and the colours are amazing. How do you do this?
Old 11th August 2009
Kiwi Paul

Great stuff Danny, I always enjoy looking at things a bit different and imaginative.

Paul
Old 11th August 2009
DannyH

I used a polarization gel that can be bought online. I put the gel on a light table, then put the plastic item on it and use a polarized lens. The stresses in the plastic cause the interesting patterns, which I found out when looking at the spoons. The nice patterns were caused by imperfections (bubbles) in the plastic spoon handles. I also used colored plastic spoons (red, blue and yellow), which brought in a lot of extra color.