Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 28th March 2019

Liked 2,404 Times in 1,584 Posts
Re: To Speed Or Not To Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
I think people are gradually getting worse at driving and this won’t help, it’ll just make people less attentive to actual road conditions and they will come to rely on the car to make up for their inability to drive properly.
I would agree with that 100%. Unfortunately road safety and driving slowly have become synonymous in many people's minds, driven by successive governments' compulsion for persecuting drivers for straying just a few MPH over often in appropriate and long-outdated speed limits in an effort to fill government coffers.

The fact is that accidents are caused more by inattention and aggression than speed per se. Forcing drivers to spend more time clock watching will not help.

All lorries are now fitted with speed limiters. How many lorry drivers drive courteously as a result and concentrate 100% on the road around them?

Quote:
So what sort of situation will going faster help in where braking and perhaps tucking back in wouldn’t?

There are many situations where limiting a vehicle's speed to a set speed limit is downright dangerous in my view. Take the all too familiar situation where a queue of cars and other vehicles are passing a stationary bus which then pulls out without warning or the use of mirrors. If you happen to be passing the bus at the time you have four options:
  1. Drive into the side of the bus;
  2. Collide with vehicles travelling in the opposite direction;
  3. Stand on the brakes and get rear-ended;
  4. Accelerate past the bus to safety, possibly exceeding the speed limit fractionally as you do so.

I would submit that No 4 is by far the safest option regardless of what 'BRAKE' and the other road safety organisations would have us believe.

Safe overtaking means spending as little time as possible on the wrong side of the road, which is why I would contend that many modern (read 'underpowered') cars are dangerous, and why safe overtaking has become a lost art.

If I hit the speed limiter whilst overtaking on a long straight road and there is an HGV in the distance steaming towards me in the opposite direction I don't think I would be placated by the road safety argument.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th March 2019

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts

When you're overtaking and are most of the way past the vehicle, and something or someone suddenly appears in the opposite direction? Safer to accelerate past the vehicle, especially as quite often the vehicle driver may also notice the hazard and brake.

Actually I'm remindd of a letter in one of the car mags a few years ago which said that all accidents are caused by people driving too slowly; if they'd been going more quickly they'd have been somewhere else. A fair point!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (28th March 2019)
Old 28th March 2019

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts

Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly not advocating these stupid limiter things and actually have my speed limiter set at 99mph and occasionally hit it and wonder WTF is going on!
I do think that the ‘speed up to get out of the sh1t’ idea is misplaced, despite those eloquent arguments, particularly the bus example, as depending on where you are when the bus pulls out you’re likely just to hit the front side of it faster! Whilst someone rear ending you is a nightmare, they really shouldn’t be following you past as they should be able to see the bus is pulling out (his brake lights go out for example)
Old 28th March 2019

Liked 1,685 Times in 1,085 Posts

I guess that white vans will be exempt and still travel at 90+ in the outside lane with impunity!

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (28th March 2019), TimP (28th March 2019)
Old 28th March 2019

I think that in general most genuine motoring offences are ignored, unless you happen to pass a speed trap in which case you’re treated like the worst person in the country.
It seems that downright bad and dangerous driving has no-one to police it anymore.
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I guess that white vans will be exempt and still travel at 90+ in the outside lane with impunity!

Jim
Only if they have 'Motorway Maintenance' emblazoned all over them, and then only in 50 MPH average speed camera zones through motorway roadwork's.

The long-running roadwork's on the A1M near to us had a large sign advising drivers (I quote) 'Speed limit to protect the workforce'. I found this rather ironic given the way that 'Motorway Maintenance' vehicles seem to be driven.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
I think that in general most genuine motoring offences are ignored, unless you happen to pass a speed trap in which case you’re treated like the worst person in the country.
It seems that downright bad and dangerous driving has no-one to police it anymore.
Furthermore, speed cameras only concern those of us who drive vehicles which are legally registered, taxed and insured, etc. They provide no deterrent for those who drive illegally, or whilst unlicensed, who tend to be the most dangerous drivers anyway.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (28th March 2019), TimP (28th March 2019)
Old 28th March 2019

Look at this another way.

Everyone is expected to do more and more with fewer resources and in shorter time today. I doubt that HMRC would cancel fines for late submission of Self Assessment because of the time wasted by speed limiters. Those of us in business also have the joys of MTD to look forward to.

Fitting speed limiters may arguably reduce road deaths and injuries, (I would say that is questionable), but how many more people will die as a result of stress, road rage and even suicide owing to speed limiters being fitted?

Many people feel their lives are helpless and futile enough as it is without adding yet more restrictions.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th March 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Well, I'll admit to occasions when I unintentionally creep above the speed limit and would welcome the technology to prevent this. Of course there will be extreme situations when the speed limiter might actually cause an accident but if you misjudge when overtaking against oncoming traffic, for example, it could be questionable whether you should have been overtaking in the first place. It's a bit like the seatbelt argument, there will always be a one in a thousand situation when you might have been better off without it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
wornish (28th March 2019)
Old 28th March 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
how many more people will die as a result of stress, road rage and even suicide owing to speed limiters being fitted?
I may be wrong but that does seem a little extreme. If anyone was affected to that extent I would question whether they should be driving in the first place.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Jim Ford (28th March 2019), Steveee (29th March 2019), TimP (28th March 2019)
Old 28th March 2019

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Many people feel their lives are helpless and futile enough as it is without adding yet more restrictions.
In my case, that is more a result of the Co-Pilot/Navigator sat in the passenger seat than any restrictions imposed by gadgetry

Jax
wornish (28th March 2019)
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I may be wrong but that does seem a little extreme. If anyone was affected to that extent I would question whether they should be driving in the first place.
Road rage is an ever increasing problem. Do you think speed limiters will reduce it?

We hear of Amazon delivery drivers having to take a dump in buckets in the back of their vans, such is the time pressure they are under. Will speed limiters reduce that pressure?

My point is, we are all expected to do more and more in shorter time, and yet road travel looks set to become even slower than it is now.

Rather than fannying around with electric cars and speed limiters we need to get away from our reliance on the private car. It is a 20th century social experiment which has failed spectacularly, is destroying our planet, poisoning us and seems is causing mental harm.

Why else would something as pathetic as a modern car cause people to kill other road users by deliberate violence? People even kill over parking spaces in Asda car parks!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
Furthermore, speed cameras only concern those of us who drive vehicles which are legally registered, taxed and insured, etc. They provide no deterrent for those who drive illegally, or whilst unlicensed, who tend to be the most dangerous drivers anyway.
Good point, although you’d think they could combine the speed cameras with ANPR devices and catch some more punters. I guess that would also require a police vehicle or two in a nearby layby.
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
Road rage is an ever increasing problem. Do you think speed limiters will reduce it?

We hear of Amazon delivery drivers having to take a dump in buckets in the back of their vans, such is the time pressure they are under. Will speed limiters reduce that pressure?
Note to self: never, ever buy a bucket from Amazon!
Old 28th March 2019

Quote:
Note to self: never, ever buy a bucket from Amazon!
They now sell food as well Tim.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing