Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 26th March 2019

Liked 2,413 Times in 1,588 Posts
Re: Postage Stamps to Go Up Next Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Our kindly Postperson (being correct here) says there is no real difference in 1st and 2nd class !!

Peter
I'm not so sure about that. We send out a lot of post using the First Class Recorded (Signed For) service. As it is tracked we can easily found out when it is delivered, and in most cases it is delivered next day although there have been some odd exceptions.

We don't send much second class, but second class mail that we receive usually takes two or three days. However, I think it depends when the mail is posted.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th March 2019

Liked 3,331 Times in 1,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
Our kindly Postperson (being correct here) says there is no real difference in 1st and 2nd class !!
I have never understood, and will never understand, the business case for storing second class mail to delay delivery. Second class mail, including packages, almost always reaches me the second day after posting.

I don't know whether it is regional or national but Saturday deliveries may cease, except for packages, which will rely on voluntary overtime. That is from our Postie.

Harold
Old 27th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
We don't send much second class, but second class mail that we receive usually takes two or three days. However, I think it depends when the mail is posted.
You have a choice of posting times? Our only outgoing post is at 7am. There is an afternoon one from outside the local Post Office, half a mile away.

Harold
Old 27th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I have never understood, and will never understand, the business case for storing second class mail to delay delivery. Second class mail, including packages, almost always reaches me the second day after posting.

I don't know whether it is regional or national but Saturday deliveries may cease, except for packages, which will rely on voluntary overtime. That is from our Postie.

Harold
I don't think the mail is stored as such; more a case that First Class is prioritised over Second Class, or 'Standard Class' as BR would call it.

If a lorry (or lorries) leave processing hubs loaded with mainly First Class post it wouldn't make sense to half-fill another lorry with Second Class post. In that case I would expect any remaining Second Class to be dispatched on the next lorry with spare capacity.

I am not entirely sure that we have a daily mail delivery service any more as there are some days that I don't see a Postie at all. It could be that if there are very few First Class letters to be delivered that Postie is redeployed elsewhere.

Quote:
You have a choice of posting times? Our only outgoing post is at 7am. There is an afternoon one from outside the local Post Office, half a mile away.

Harold
I was thinking more of the day of the week than the time on any particular day. We have two collections from our village Post Office; one around Noon and a second collection at about 5 O'clock.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th March 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I don't think the mail is stored as such; more a case that First Class is prioritised over Second Class, or 'Standard Class' as BR would call it.

If a lorry (or lorries) leave processing hubs loaded with mainly First Class post it wouldn't make sense to half-fill another lorry with Second Class post. In that case I would expect any remaining Second Class to be dispatched on the next lorry with spare capacity.

I think that was the historical case. There have been at least two national Royal Mail exercises, in the last (?) decade, of closing down local sorting offices and establishing regional hubs. Our local mail travels 40 miles to the nearest hub and 40 miles back for delivery.

Harold
Old 27th March 2019

Quote:
I think that was the historical case. There have been at least two national Royal Mail exercises, in the last (?) decade, of closing down local sorting offices and establishing regional hubs. Our local mail travels 40 miles to the nearest hub and 40 miles back for delivery.

Harold
That is the same for us. Our regional hub is at Team Valley in Gateshead, about thirty miles away. As far as I know Darlington sorting office is just a collection point nowadays. Post used to travel between regional hubs by rail but I don't think that happens any more.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th March 2019

Liked 163 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Did she stick one on you?

Harold
That may have been preferable to the Po Face Treatment. Not to mention beans on soggy toast for the evening meal !

If Harold had put the date in the header non of this would have happened

Darkroom